Moving Up?!

ServiceEngaged

ServiceEngaged
So I have been with target so far for 5 years, I’ve been pushing to move up in chain of command and all that I’m getting from my higher ups saying that I’m not ready and not being specific about anything. Even though I do everything I can to make sure everything is perfect and efficient in my area as well doing team recognition because I seem to be the only person to be doing that at my store, I also make sure that I’m there for the team and there mental health because it can be very stressful on a daily basis. But is there any tips for me to move up?

Be respectful, but also you need to be on them consistantly. Ask for what you can improve upon that would make you a better leader. Ask them to help you set goals that you can help them meet, or that you can own. I know a lot of people say don't do TL work without TL pay but if your serious about moving up you need to prove that you want and can handle the job, because the amount of stress spot puts on its leaders and pretty much everyone is incredibly high.

I would start by asking for specific feedback as to what they think your "opportunities" are and then go from there. You can't change what you don't know, you know?
I would ask for feedback and what are good opportunities I can attempt on, and all I get would be “let me think on that” and never get a response after words

Be respectful, but also you need to be on them consistantly. Ask for what you can improve upon that would make you a better leader. Ask them to help you set goals that you can help them meet, or that you can own. I know a lot of people say don't do TL work without TL pay but if your serious about moving up you need to prove that you want and can handle the job, because the amount of stress spot puts on its leaders and pretty much everyone is incredibly high.
I’ve taken a lot more responsibility to help out the team as well show that I am interested in moving up. Ive taken complete ownership of the service desk and have been recognized in multiple accounts by our Store Director and our District Leaders for the improvements and changes that I made to keep everything set up for success.

I’ve taken a lot more responsibility to help out the team as well show that I am interested in moving up. Ive taken complete ownership of the service desk and have been recognized in multiple accounts by our Store Director and our District Leaders for the improvements and changes that I made to keep everything set up for success.
Spot definitely likes to keep tms that do a good job down because it makes their life easier. Should definitely talk with you sd and etl about a plan for you to move up. Be realistic with the goal as there has to be a position open for you, but you should not have to wait around for years because you are doing a good job. You should also have a TL mentor that you should be talking to on monthly basis about your plan. Good luck

I would ask for a sit down with your HR/SD, at this point it sounds like you have went to your direct leaders, and got little to no advice/feedback. I would share with them you are interested in becoming a team lead, and you would like some insight/feedback on where you need to improve. I know at my store every tm who wishes to move up has a tl "mentor" who really takes charge of their development. I know in my district tm growth/development is front and center at the moment, so it's crazy to think your own leaders aren't invested in helping you.

I mean no offense but, it sounds like current leadership has already made up their mind about you. You could wait until there is new leadership, resign yourself to stay at your current level, or move on from Target.
Would it be smart to transfer to another target store and get the help that I need in order to move up?

Would it be smart to transfer to another target store and get the help that I need in order to move up?
That could work. I would suggest checking out other target stores in your area first. Introduce yourself to some of the peeps then maybe reach out to them outside of to get an honest opinion about what they think of the store and leaders.

My store had 1 front end TM that was given opportunities to work on and was even recognized at the team leader meetings as being an asset to the front end. HR even sent little notes to her at her home telling her how much she was helping out the store as a whole and that she was greatly appreciated. Yet she never got to team leader interviews or placed on the bench.

Sometimes you're just too valuable to be promoted.

During my review, I had completely new management and I did ask and they basically brushed the questions I asked.

IMHO This is a big red flag so I would look for a leadership position elsewhere.

I would not transfer to another store WITHOUT A PROMOTION because that would be a lateral move.

For whatever reason they don't want to promote and the fact they don't even want to "put you on the bench" (which in IMHO is just stringing you along) means it is time to leave.

I have always find it contradictory that Target wouldn't advance an employee that has worked there five years (assuming full time) but at the same time hire 22 years olds with a college degree as an ETL.

Last edited:
So I have been with target so far for 5 years, I’ve been pushing to move up in chain of command and all that I’m getting from my higher ups saying that I’m not ready and not being specific about anything. Even though I do everything I can to make sure everything is perfect and efficient in my area as well doing team recognition because I seem to be the only person to be doing that at my store, I also make sure that I’m there for the team and there mental health because it can be very stressful on a daily basis. But is there any tips for me to move up?
Kiss more ass.

Moving up is 50% political, 25% doing a great job, 25% of right place/right time.

If you can’t recognize/ or fit into the store cliche, you won’t move up. But I suppose that’s the way it is most places.

I’ve seen many tms who were decent workers, and expressed interest in doing more, but they didn’t get the politics. Anyone else hear the phrase “I don’t see so-and-so as a leader, but I don’t want to lose them as a team member”?

Sometimes you're just too valuable to be promoted.
Yep- there is a fine line between doing a good job and doing TOO good of a job that management doesn’t want to lose you. You would think if it’s for a promotion at a person’s current store they would jump all over it. “If this person can do this good here, image what they can do in this position?” In the end everyone is replaceable at Target but do you really want to lose one of your star players that makes you look good? I feel that’s the way some managers look at things and they can get in the way of team members/leaders personal development and promoting. I’ve seen people take years to promote and I’ve seen people do it in a matter of months. When you’re ready that’s what should matter.

I would ask for feedback and what are good opportunities I can attempt on, and all I get would be “let me think on that” and never get a response after words

This is where you need to take the initiative and ask them, "have you thought about any feedback that you have for me?" And keep asking until they give you something concrete to improve upon. Be the squeeky wheel. If they still won't give you anything, then they may not see leadership potential in you and it might be time to start looking into a transfer.

There's a possibility they are using you to do the job for the same pay instead of promoting and giving you more pay. I mean why pay somebody more when they are doing the job already.
This happens at my store a lot especially at the Front End. I saw a TM making drinks at Starbucks they other day (not just running the register).

My thoughts is if I have that training to make Starbucks drinks yo should pay me more BECAUSE THAT HOW MOST BUSINESSES DO IT.

At my store, the more disrespectful you are to team members, the more likely you are to move up.
So true..my SD said im too nice! But they ddnt know how very frustrating working at the front, i cant be mean to the cashiers otherwise theyll quit!! But they see im busting my ass from working all around.

Back