Archived my first day

Status
Not open for further replies.
so on my very first training day, this lady had a dvd player, and when i asked will that be all for you? she shakes her head no hands me a gift card with the paper still on it and says $20 and hands me a $20. i assume she's putting $20 on the giftcard so I tell her the final price probably like 65 bucks.. and she starts speaking another language getting pissed off at me and everything, finally a gstl comes over and finds out that the lady had 30 bucks on the giftcard and gave me an extra 20 to pay for the dvd player.

Has this or anything like that ever happened to you, when you couldn't really understand a customer?

This is a common problem among a lot of retailers and any stores. Just don't assume the guest is wanting to apply funds to a giftcard, especially when they hand it to you at the end of a purchase. Always ask if they are buying or paying with the giftcard. Its just lucky that POS is giftcard friendly, and add funds situation can be changed to make payment with giftcard very easily.

My wife and I were trying to pay for $200 worth of groceries after a huge number of coupons with a $100 giftcard (no paper backing even). The cashier automatically assumed that we were adding funds to it. And punched in $100, instantly I knew the cashier errored when she said $300. But due to the store's POS, the giftcard was already recorded in the transaction and could not be used to make payment unless everything was re-ringed in a new tranaction.

Had to step between one of my cashiers & a guest one time because they couldn't understand each other. Funny thing is they were both from the Middle East & were arguing in Pashto & Farsi dialects.

Greetings and salutations.
It happens, I've made the same mistake in previous jobs, just always make sure you ask what a card is for when they hand it to you.

I've not yet seen a new cashier who didn't get a little confused when handed a giftcard and not having what the guest wants clearly explained to them. The guest overreacted when she got mad at you. You will have many guests who expect you to read their minds. Don't worry, it will get easier.

I always ask if they are buying or using the card. Most people never take the cardboard off so it's hard to tell. Especially with elderly guests I double confirm that they want to "use" the card as payment.

A side note: Has anyone here worked GS and had someone try to use a gift card to make a payment on their red card? I've had that happen quite a few times and some get really pissed when I say no.

Had to step between one of my cashiers & a guest one time because they couldn't understand each other. Funny thing is they were both from the Middle East & were arguing in Pashto & Farsi dialects.

One time we had a Middle Eastern guest at the lanes who couldn't understand anything the cashier was saying and vice-versa, so the GSTL came over and started speaking the guest's language. Said GSTL was born here in the US, though she was assumed to be of Hispanic descent. It was pretty awesome.

One time we had a Middle Eastern guest at the lanes who couldn't understand anything the cashier was saying and vice-versa, so the GSTL came over and started speaking the guest's language. Said GSTL was born here in the US, though she was assumed to be of Hispanic descent. It was pretty awesome.
We had an ETL who did that. And, yeh, it WAS awesome.

I always ask if they are buying or using the card. Most people never take the cardboard off so it's hard to tell. Especially with elderly guests I double confirm that they want to "use" the card as payment.

A side note: Has anyone here worked GS and had someone try to use a gift card to make a payment on their red card? I've had that happen quite a few times and some get really pissed when I say no.

Yup... We get those people now and then... Had an elderly gent get pretty riled up when I told him he couldn't.... I just explained to him that we can only take Cash/Check payments (including Debit), and that Gift Cards fall under the "credit" category. He asked for the LOD and got the EXACT same response... Haha.

What's (not) fun is when a guest brings in a recent receipt with a giftcard & they want to 'return & repurchase' an item (on paper only) so they can credit their acct & spend the giftcard. That's always been a big no-no at my store & our leadership will back us up on that, which is good because we ALWAYS end up having to call them up.
One ETL told them we could do the 'return' only if they actually bring the merchandise in to return & repurchase it. Even then, one guy couldn't repurchase the difference on his card because his blance had been locked down for erratic payment history.

What's (not) fun is when a guest brings in a recent receipt with a giftcard & they want to 'return & repurchase' an item (on paper only) so they can credit their acct & spend the giftcard. That's always been a big no-no at my store & our leadership will back us up on that, which is good because we ALWAYS end up having to call them up.
One ETL told them we could do the 'return' only if they actually bring the merchandise in to return & repurchase it. Even then, one guy couldn't repurchase the difference on his card because his blance had been locked down for erratic payment history.

Do you mean they want to return a merchandise + free giftcard package so they can get the giftcard part credited onto their credit account? And then they want to rebuy the merchandise? Sorry if I misunderstood what you posted--I'm slow this morning. I don't think I've had anyone ask me to do that, yet. I'm constantly amazed at how creative people can be when it comes to taking advantage of something. I'm way too lazy to be a thief.

In this case, they'd bought something week or 2 ago w/a credit/debit card. In the meantime they were given or got a giftcard so they want to return something & "re-buy" it using the giftcard. If it was purchased with a credit card, they want it credited back to their acct. If it was debit, they want the cash back.
This doesn't involve the "free w/purchase" giftcards because the gc amt is deducted upon return & they wouldn't be able to "rebuy" using the gc on that trans. We've had trans hardlocks when attempted.

we'll do a return and re-sell in some cases as long as its not to price adjust clearance or anything like that... I always keep a tight hand on the return receipt though until the following purchase goes through, just in case they flake and I might have to post-void the return.

In this case, they'd bought something week or 2 ago w/a credit/debit card. In the meantime they were given or got a giftcard so they want to return something & "re-buy" it using the giftcard. If it was purchased with a credit card, they want it credited back to their acct. If it was debit, they want the cash back.
This doesn't involve the "free w/purchase" giftcards because the gc amt is deducted upon return & they wouldn't be able to "rebuy" using the gc on that trans. We've had trans hardlocks when attempted.

Gotcha--thanks for clarifying.

we'll do a return and re-sell in some cases as long as its not to price adjust clearance or anything like that... I always keep a tight hand on the return receipt though until the following purchase goes through, just in case they flake and I might have to post-void the return.

If this were to happen and you did not have the receipt, can't you use InsidePOS to look up the receipt ID then call 718 and tell them you have the receipt ID from inside POS but you need the VCD to do the "return"? This should give you enough to post void wouldn't it?

I don't recall EVER getting a VCD from authorization (or whatever they go by now). Your AP might be able to but they'd def want an explanation WHY it was needed.

The VCD is accessible via insidePOS - you just need to look at the right part on ejviewer to see it. ;)

Worst case scenario, look it up via insidePOS and call 718. Give them the receipt # and they will usually give you the override code.

718 told me they can't give out a vcd

I've received the same response. I wanted to do whats right for the guest so I may have bent the truth and told 718 that I had the "receipt" but couldn't read the VCD. What I really had was the InsidePOS print off that only had the receipt number. If I feel the guest is right I will pull out my best acting skills for 718. It has worked once or twice but they normally say no. Even if they say no the guest enjoys the show!

I've received the same response. I wanted to do whats right for the guest so I may have bent the truth and told 718 that I had the "receipt" but couldn't read the VCD. What I really had was the InsidePOS print off that only had the receipt number. If I feel the guest is right I will pull out my best acting skills for 718. It has worked once or twice but they normally say no. Even if they say no the guest enjoys the show!

I'm vicious when I call 718. I don't take "no" for an answer. I usually demand to get transferred to level 2 support/their supervisor - and it works!

Our APTL would have a stroke we did anything like this in my store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back