My first meeting as TL

I recently became a TL for GM3. My ETL give me my first challenge on how I can make my routine into a walk and I'm kinda clueless because I used to be a DBO for Domestics. Honestly, I don't know how to start and I really want a good start.

What do you own? Good routine is walking your area , endcaps , sidecaps full at all times , zone , 141 truck freight and audit any outs . Always ptm stay ahead on Plano

I have a routine on the place. I own bedding, bath, stationery, home, H&H, kitchen, plastic, furniture, and CB1. I'm trying to figure out how I can say it in just 15 minutes. What is more relevant vs not. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain. or if you can give me an example of how you will handle this situation.

Last edited:
Its more about setting a routine for yourself that you should be able to follow every day. Or atleast most days some things dont need to be done everyday. Ill check upcoming workload every wednesday amd pretie then. Monday is always busy cleaning up from weekend and im off on tuesdays. Figure out what works for you. Its just about getring routines down so nothing gets missed and everything has a plan. 90% of the time plans will change but once you have a solid routine nothing should get missed.
1. Check email/ check in with etl
2. Check gs for reshop
3. Walk area/ assess business
4. Check in with tms set expectaions for the day.
Learning your area. What days clearance drops for your areas. What dbos need help and where. Just because tms are good doesnt mean they are the best at everything so there is usually something you can help them on.
5. This is usually when ill do some tasks to help with something that may be behind or have excessive workload for the day.
6. Check reshop again and make sure it was done by dbos
7. Check 1-4-1s to make sure they are completeting them.
I could keep going going but its really going to depend on your store and what works for you. If your dbos are not up to par then mayne you have to work with them more. If they are good show them how to do spls and revisions. The better you make your team the better time you wipl have. Do you have other duties my gmtls all have other roles. Essentials/sfs, home seasonal/unload, hardlines/plano. That will impact your routine more.

You own quite a lot . What would be relevant to me would be communication . And I mean communicating effectively, checking email status with your Etl before you go home . In terms of process it would price change , setting , your 141 metrics is important in every district . Is your Backroom refresh done if not what’s your plan on getting it done. Is your sfq and on hands matching ? If not what’s your plan on addressing that with your dbo? What’s the plan to make sure this becomes a routine. Holding tm accountable for their replenishment workload as well as their attendance. Always partner with you peers and Etls . Very important to partner with your inbound Tl if let’s say you have a lot of price change or transition in a day department you will need inbound to support .

Back when there was a Sign Ninja the walks always seemed to consist of calling on the walkie every five minutes about a sign that had fallen down, was missing, or torn.
Then there was the displays that were missing, damaged, or not built yet.

It’s so funny how stores can be so different. Everything you own is the GM2 roll in my store. It seems like a lot but it’s pretty comparable to the other team lead spots. GM1 in my store owns all of essentials which is Chem, pets, paper, OTC, personal care, baby and inbound. GM3 owns presentation, toys, sporting goods, seasonal, and entertainment.

it’ll take a bit to set up some routines and a lot will depend on your store. Do you take a truck or doubles daily? 3 a week etc? Non truck days are better for tasks like pricing/spls. Depends on who is scheduled. What do they know? An ideal DBO would walk their own area and assess, pull/push their 1:1, push truck, do their pricing, any spls, stay on top of reshop and pull/push 1:1’s again before they leave. BUT- we all know that doesn’t happen. So look at what they can do in their scheduled time, teach as much as you can and support them however needed without doing everything for them. Watch how they do things and then teach them how to be more efficient.

I walk in, check on the truck times so I know what my DBO’s are getting and how long it takes, check on the 1:1’s. Walk each area with my DBO’s and have them tell me how their area and stuff is going while assessing their zone, endcaps etc. I’ll help where I can depending on which DBO has the most truck, workload to complete or what not. I continue to check in with my DBO’s all throughout the day.

We have a truck every day and doubles on Tuesday. GM2 owns pricing, presentation, baby, toys, sporting goods, seasonal, and entertainment. GM1 owns inbound, all the essentials, Hair Care, CB2, gift cards, check lanes, and bullseye.

Have a routine in place for all my DBO. But what I am having trouble with is how I can speak to it in the meeting.

Back