Archived My Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time listener, first time caller.

I've been aware of TheBreakRoom for a while now, and I have enjoyed--and been horrified by--a lot of what I've read here. I probably should have went with this introduction as my first post, but I had a question that I knew could only be answered here, so my intro post becomes my second post. Thank you to everyone who looked at my first post, and I appreciate the help I was offered.

Anyway, my name is Nik--I don't care who knows that, as I don't plan on use this forum to complain--and I have been with Target for 18+ years now. (It will be 19 years in November; I was hired as part of the first Seasonal "class" at my store when it was built. Filled out a paper application and everything.)

My Primary Work Center has always been Flow, or Inbound, or whatever they call it this week, and I am my store's only Assembler (it's OK, I've been building bikes since 1994) plus, I have been trained in Presentation, Backroom, and Receiving.

Things have changed a lot with the company in the nearly 20 years I have been with Target--we used to have to scan the boxes and write the aisle numbers on them when they came in--and my store has even been through a lot of changes, including a complete store remodel that concluded about a year ago. I won't say that every change Target has made has been good, but I also won't say that they've all been bad either. But, the one thing that hasn't changed, is the great people I get to work with. I've made a lot of friends there over the years, and it's the people that have made these last 18 years feel like no time at all.

Target is not my first retail experience, so I know what to expect--and what NOT to expect--from this kind of job. I just go to work and do the best job I can--after all, no one from Target came to my house offering me a job; I went to them--and let the rest sort itself out.

Thank you all for letting me be a part of this community, and if there is anything I can do to help out anyone on these forums, I would be honored to do so.

original.gif

Welcome-Aboard-Devid-Tennant-On-Doctor-Who.gif

Hi Nik, how much do you make an hour after 19 years @ Target?
That's one of the few pet peeves I have with Target. (That, and how hot it is in our building all year long.)

It's not that I don't feel I am fairly compensated for what I do--I think I do all right--but, what bugs me, is that people coming in off the street will start out making just a couple dollars less than I do. I don't begrudge people the right to make a decent wage, but it makes me wonder if loyalty and seniority mean anything to Target. My reviews have always been top notch--EE, O, 3, whatever grading system they were going by at the time--and my raises were always decent (except for the year I was at the top of the wage scale and couldn't receive a raise, so I got 3 cents comp) but it just feels a bit unfair that new hires will start out making what took me years to earn and nothing has been done to adjust wages for me or for any of the long time Team Members.

I'm sure the company will point to that graph on mypayandbenefits that shows your compensation, but I assure you, I don't make $27 an hour like it claims.

That's one of the few pet peeves I have with Target. (That, and how hot it is in our building all year long.)

It's not that I don't feel I am fairly compensated for what I do--I think I do all right--but, what bugs me, is that people coming in off the street will start out making just a couple dollars less than I do. I don't begrudge people the right to make a decent wage, but it makes me wonder if loyalty and seniority mean anything to Target. My reviews have always been top notch--EE, O, 3, whatever grading system they were going by at the time--and my raises were always decent (except for the year I was at the top of the wage scale and couldn't receive a raise, so I got 3 cents comp) but it just feels a bit unfair that new hires will start out making what took me years to earn and nothing has been done to adjust wages for me or for any of the long time Team Members.

I'm sure the company will point to that graph on mypayandbenefits that shows your compensation, but I assure you, I don't make $27 an hour like it claims.
So like $15/hr?

I'm right on the heels of OP timewise, and my reviews also have been the highest ranking (except for maybe about 4 random non-consecutive years when I was capped at the max and would be given a "satisfactory"-type evaluation and no raise). Wage wise, even if I get no bump in 2020, I couldn't complain newbies are making the same as me when the hourly rate goes to $15 an hour.😁

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back