Archived my team lead keeps leaving early

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tayto

It’s really frustrating me, I know it’s probably not that big a deal but it’s been happening really frequently. it happens so often i've been writing everytime down in my planner just to keep track. Sometimes his excuse is its his kids and i get that, but it can't always be your kids....he was scheduled the opening shift 7-3:30 and he told me he came in 15 min. late cause he overslept. when i came back from my break at 3:16 pm he told me he was out and to have a good day?? he left 15 min early?? and he does that to other team members as well. i feel like as the TL he should set a good example and stay his whole shift. another time He actaully called in another team member to come in 15min. early just so he could leave 15 min. early...he also never closes!!! He always schedules someone to close with him and he basically stands around and has that team member do all the cleaning and work and then leaves early. My team lead is also the team lead to our target cafe too, he’s a good guy and has been working there for awhile. i know Taking on both starbucks and cafe tasks for a team lead is really hard but if you can't do it right and both are kinda falling apart then maybe you should rethink your choices...anyway since he's been TL, our starbucks is constantly out of something every. single. day. from straws to cups to lemonade to coffee filters... we are constantly borrowing stuff from other places. Our promotions are always late and we are never told about new promotions until the day of or sometimes the day after they were supposed to be launched. basically its a lot of confusion and we as employees are kept in the dark about a lot of the promotions until a guest asks us about it. we had ran out of coffee filters and if we don't have those we cant brew coffee. i guess im just wondering who i should talk to about all this, i also feel like they won't really take my word because he's worked there longest and he's friendly with all the office staff...but this really sucks.

It’s really frustrating me, I know it’s probably not that big a deal but it’s been happening really frequently. it happens so often i've been writing everytime down in my planner just to keep track. Sometimes his excuse is its his kids and i get that, but it can't always be your kids....he was scheduled the opening shift 7-3:30 and he told me he came in 15 min. late cause he overslept. when i came back from my break at 3:16 pm he told me he was out and to have a good day?? he left 15 min early?? and he does that to other team members as well. i feel like as the TL he should set a good example and stay his whole shift. another time He actaully called in another team member to come in 15min. early just so he could leave 15 min. early...he also never closes!!! He always schedules someone to close with him and he basically stands around and has that team member do all the cleaning and work and then leaves early. My team lead is also the team lead to our target cafe too, he’s a good guy and has been working there for awhile. i know Taking on both starbucks and cafe tasks for a team lead is really hard but if you can't do it right and both are kinda falling apart then maybe you should rethink your choices...anyway since he's been TL, our starbucks is constantly out of something every. single. day. from straws to cups to lemonade to coffee filters... we are constantly borrowing stuff from other places. Our promotions are always late and we are never told about new promotions until the day of or sometimes the day after they were supposed to be launched. basically its a lot of confusion and we as employees are kept in the dark about a lot of the promotions until a guest asks us about it. we had ran out of coffee filters and if we don't have those we cant brew coffee. i guess im just wondering who i should talk to about all this, i also feel like they won't really take my word because he's worked there longest and he's friendly with all the office staff...but this really sucks.

To be fair, with the leaving early thing, our TLs often have to punch our 10-15 mins early as well to avoid hitting 40 since they’re schedule for exactly 40 and they have to stay late sometimes.

I understand that but his excuses don't match up with that. Our last team lead never left as frequent as he does.

Have you told him how that is affecting the team? Start there.

If he deflects or doesn't own up to it. Go to his ETL

There’s nothing that says only a team lead can place orders. Or do promotional sets. All the information he sees for this are available to you too on work bench. There are 3 order guides for Starbucks. I would see about owning one of them. The leaving early stuff I can’t speak too. I struggle to run market and the rest in 40 hours every week on a normal week.

Oh that’s the dream! I still to the sets and the orders. I, unfortunately, have not gotten Starbucks TMs that can do that reliably. Because I always did it before, they act like it’s my job and just ignore it.

The one thing that may be innocent, is leaving 15 minutes early. If you don't actually see him walk out the door, he may be using 15 minutes each day for computer time. Checking email, updates writing corrective actions. 15 minutes of computer time for a TL is like gold. Not saying its what he is doing but it is possible?

Ask your TL how to place orders and show you how to look up your order days/cut off times. You can start owning the ordering and make your lives easier. It may also trigger a question for him to wonder why you would want to own that. It’ll open a chance for dialogue and you can let him know that Starbucks is running out of product and you want to ensure it doesn’t happen again. It may be the reality check he needs. Good luck.

Good, sensible advice from Coqui. You can also search Starbucks Operations on Workbench. You will find links to the weekly updates, sirens eyes, special promos, recipe cards for lto drinks, and all kinds of good info.

@Tayto are you starting to sense a trend here? A lot of actual Team Leaders are giving you excellent sound advice in regards to you as an individual and tips to help you at work and be a great worker. It all depends in the end what you want to do with said advice of course. Somethings can be easily rectified with simple dialogue.

One of my previous SBTLs used to work mids/closing a lot so he used to mark the order guide for me to scan.
He also gave me several of the smaller promo sets to do so I could familiarize myself with Siren's Eye layouts & signing.

This situation gives you the perfect opportunity to take on new responsibilities, learn new things, show your ETLs that you are motivated and that you might be a good TM for a fabulous future!

Follow through and you'll be flying high and you'll be impressing others in your store!!

This situation gives you the perfect opportunity to take on new responsibilities, learn new things, show your ETLs that you are motivated and that you might be a good TM for a fabulous future!

Follow through and you'll be flying high and you'll be impressing others in your store!!
Fabulous.

I would talk to the TL about the supplies running out and promo stuff that isn't being communicated.

Now the issue of getting to work late or leaving early. Not to come across as a jerk, but it's really none of your business. That's something for their ETL or even the STL to worry about.

Ask your TL how to place orders and show you how to look up your order days/cut off times. You can start owning the ordering and make your lives easier.

At my store I transferred to they only want the food tl to be responsible for ordering. Drove me crazy when they started that because on the weekend that she wasn't there I would have to go back through and add whatever she hadn't ordered the day before. I did the order all the time at the other store...they didn't care who did as long as it got done lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back