myPOG - No Longer Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you have a good business lawyer. You’ll need em when Spot either offers you a promotion or drags you to court :(

I hope you have a good business lawyer. You’ll need em when Spot either offers you a promotion or drags you to court :(
Using their own public tools which I was provided access to via their developer portal.

Hello all.

Today I am ready to announce the (hopeful) release of an iOS app I've spent the better part of three months developing.

Currently the app supports the following:
  • Search for POG Locations via manual DPCI entry & via scanning a bar code with your camera.
  • Displays your stores' on-hands for that item
  • Displays your stores' current selling price
  • NOP item search
  • Full size (.COM) images
  • The primary bar code number if needed
  • [Should] support all stores
This is in reality, my first real and serious development project.
I unfortunately was only able to test on iPhone 7 plus devices. (Myself and one other TM at my store)
However, I believe I have the app working on non-plus sized device (and hopefully the X)
I have only been able to test this in a simulator though, as I do not own a different device.

I really hope and believe that I have ironed most of the bugs out. I identified and fixed three crashes just today during work.

pics below

single location item view

View attachment 5382

multi location item view

View attachment 5380

nop item view

View attachment 5384

negative on hands since mywork doesn't

View attachment 5383

side menu with credits and store switcher

View attachment 5381

I'm not a technical person. Are you saying I can use my phone to do work for Target? If that's the case, they'll be paying my bill.

Unless they require you to use your phone they have no reason to pay your bill.

That's true. So why are you developing this? To sell to Target? I'm confused. If it's not for tms to use on their personal phone, why develop it?

That's true. So why are you developing this? To sell to Target? I'm confused. If it's not for tms to use on their personal phone, why develop it?
The primary use case for this is one that I've personally experienced multiple times at my own store as well as at other stores doing help.

There's just not equipment. PriceCheckers are typically broken or don't scan.
This app seeks to remedy this situation for TMs working on the sales floor without a device.
If you're working abandons/strays/gobacks and you're in an area you don't know (or a new store) you can use this to find the specific locations for that item.

The other information is simply there because I already had it and sometimes it does come in handy.

Working off the clock much? Hope you enjoyed working for Target while you did...
My store the online shelf locations haven't been right since remodel.

This is very cool, but it does raise concerns about working off the clock. I'd bring this up to your ETL-HR or STL as a hypothetical "hey what if I..." before you start using it at work.

My ETL and STL have both expressed positive thoughts to me about it. As long as I'm not working on it while at work. Which I don't, obviously.

The primary use case for this is one that I've personally experienced multiple times at my own store as well as at other stores doing help.

There's just not equipment. PriceCheckers are typically broken or don't scan.
This app seeks to remedy this situation for TMs working on the sales floor without a device.
If you're working abandons/strays/gobacks and you're in an area you don't know (or a new store) you can use this to find the specific locations for that item.

The other information is simply there because I already had it and sometimes it does come in handy.

It's a fine line between just not having a device and Target knowing you can use the equipment you are personally paying for.

Why should they spend money on new or more devices when hey, almost everyone has a smart phone, just use that.

Is that the jist of it? If I'm wrong, tell me. But I have a problem with this path if they aren't paying me for my phone.

Btw, I believe this idea of using our own stuff was floated a few years ago. It was just a rumor. At the time, I heard that they would pay you, partially, for using your smart phone. I'm all for that.

It's a fine line between just not having a device and Target knowing you can use the equipment you are personally paying for.

Why should they spend money on new or more devices when hey, almost everyone has a smart phone, just use that.

Is that the jist of it? If I'm wrong, tell me. But I have a problem with this path if they aren't paying me for my phone.

Btw, I believe this idea of using our own stuff was floated a few years ago. It was just a rumor. At the time, I heard that they would pay you, partially, for using your smart phone. I'm all for that.

This is something I honestly hadn't thought about, and unfortunately do not have an adequate response to. I thank you for bringing this to my attention though.
I do not believe you're wrong, I honestly hope it would never come to that, forcing TMs use personal devices to accomplish work rather than providing equipment.
This was just something I wanted to build in my free time as a way to make my own job easier, and after talking to some users on the board, some other peoples jobs as well.

This is something I honestly hadn't thought about, and unfortunately do not have an adequate response to. I thank you for bringing this to my attention though.
I do not believe you're wrong, I honestly hope it would never come to that, forcing TMs use personal devices to accomplish work rather than providing equipment.
This was just something I wanted to build in my free time as a way to make my own job easier, and after talking to some users on the board, some other peoples jobs as well.

With everything Target does to separate work from home and everything in between I don't think this will impact it that much. They will not require team members to use their own equipment without paying/reimbursing them for it. A few examples I can think of are mileage, safety vests, drive up jackets & umbrellas, freezer gloves/coats/hats, AP uniforms/cuffs/flashlights, box cutters, ect. The only reason why you need to buy your own red and khaki is because you can wear that any other day of the week when you aren't working.

As for the gray area, in my personal opinion as long as everything is available to the public there shouldn't be an issue with you creating the app in your free time. You should take what your ETL and STL said to you with a grain of salt though. Store-side is one thing since it will stay in store. Corporate is a completely different beast. If you want a clear answer (although most of the time they think of the absolute worst case scenario) you should reach out to your HRBP.

In the end though, you are are going above and beyond to help guests. I feel that if it comes down to it, that is the best point to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back