Archived Need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a few months ago I had a discussion with my etl about the potential of me moving up to a tl position. Very soon after, they told me about a position coming up and would be trained to take on that role. The spot was eventually filled and have been told they’re waiting on an opportunity for something different to open up. I carried my team through the ever so dreadful q4 and out performed my tl and other tl’s while being cross trained in different work centers. I want to believe that there is a bright future for me here seeing as I really enjoy working for target, but I have very high expectations for my future and don’t want to be held back from achieving my goals. I have not been asked about being put on the bench or anything and it’s really starting to make me wonder. If anyone could give me some advice on how they score you on moving up, or if it sounds like they’re just talking out of their asses it would be very much appreciated.

You don't have to outperform anyone. You have to out lead them.

Keep that in mind. Think about times you have shown leadership, not performance.

I have. I’ve motivated team members in 3 different work centers in a way that they come to me for advice/training instead of their tl’s

Store politics and kissing butt.
Have your TL talk you up.
Befriend an ETL that is willing to believe in you.
Well I don’t necessarily need my tl to talk me up. I believe my etl and I have a better relationship than she does with my tl. Or it may appear so.

Sort of; when you're just a team member you are theoretically expected not to lead your peers.

No, but you can still lead them. As an example I often field complaints about leadership in my store. I try to explain that maybe the TM doesn't have the whole story and back up the leaders. If I think the leader made a big mistake that needs followup I talk to that leader or another leader that is better placed to evaluate the situation, but never side against the leader. Because honestly unless you have been on both sides things often look unethical when they aren't.

I'm not the only one at my store who was led on and came to realize that it was all just a lot of talk. Which is why I'm now ok with getting less than 20 hours a week because I've found other work that's challenging and enjoyable. (But it's also only part-time so I still stay with Target.)
If you're in an area with multiple Target stores, see if any of the others have leadership openings coming up.

well i have developed a good relationship with my stl and etl. I feel like I would be able to move up the ladder quicker if I stay here. They’re cross training me so quickly I feel as though it’s for a reason, but there’s always that thought in the back of my mind...

Start thinking about how to "own your business". What are you doing to drive sales? What are you doing to help the team? Is there anything you do to improve a process? When looking for a new TL, ETLs look for people whose attendance is spot on; who know their department's metrics and are taking steps to improve; and are constantly thinking about cause/effect in their department. Handle as much as you can without calling for LODs help/problem solve on your own. As an ETL it was much better to hear: "Hey LOD I noticed that endcap was light so I went ahead and pulled the OOS batch for it" rather than "Hey LOD, just wanted to let you know that endcap is light". LODs don't want you coming to them with more problems, they want solutions. TMs bring problems. TLs bring solutions (or at the very least they've attempted to on their own).

Find ways to update them on what you did without pulling your ETL away from their work. Quick status with them. You see them walking towards clerical? Walk with them and say "Hey I just wanted to give you a quick update...". I found this much better than a TM that insisted I meet them somewhere so they could physically show me what they did. Ok great now I'm annoyed at you because you could've just told me this over the walkie.

Your ETLs are not always going to be around you to see the work you're putting in so you need to find a way to let them know and get recognition. I had electronics TMs tell me that they felt awkward calling out square trades on the walkie because no ones cares. I had to remind them that their TLs and ETLs take notice when it's the same TM calling out multiple times a shift. Those things come up in meetings.

Please share with us what your new career is? What Target job skills helped you make the switch?

I am an assistant store manager at a Grocery Retailer. Essentially an ETL but most stores don’t use “executive” as a title for store level employees. The skills that got me this position were all learned at Target/in my own time. I promoted 3 times in team member roles. I also cross trained into every role I could which was at least 10 positions. The positions that were most helpful were HR team member and electronics “captain”. I didn’t let the pay or position dictate how I acted or worked. I owned every department I was a part of and my coworkers came to me instead of the manager for direction/guidance. I was a team trainer for 3 positions as well and because I was HR I onboarded most of the team so everyone knew me. When I interviewed for the position at another company I was able to speak at a much higher level and my resume was much more complex then what someone who worked at Target non management for 4 years (as a first and only job) would be expected to have. I hope my post doesn’t come off as bragging and more as advice. Don’t let age or position hold you back. Also when you know you’re ready and you feel held back have the courage to jump ship and make a move. Best decision I made so far.

Start thinking about how to "own your business". What are you doing to drive sales? What are you doing to help the team? Is there anything you do to improve a process? When looking for a new TL, ETLs look for people whose attendance is spot on; who know their department's metrics and are taking steps to improve; and are constantly thinking about cause/effect in their department. Handle as much as you can without calling for LODs help/problem solve on your own. As an ETL it was much better to hear: "Hey LOD I noticed that endcap was light so I went ahead and pulled the OOS batch for it" rather than "Hey LOD, just wanted to let you know that endcap is light". LODs don't want you coming to them with more problems, they want solutions. TMs bring problems. TLs bring solutions (or at the very least they've attempted to on their own).

Find ways to update them on what you did without pulling your ETL away from their work. Quick status with them. You see them walking towards clerical? Walk with them and say "Hey I just wanted to give you a quick update...". I found this much better than a TM that insisted I meet them somewhere so they could physically show me what they did. Ok great now I'm annoyed at you because you could've just told me this over the walkie.

Your ETLs are not always going to be around you to see the work you're putting in so you need to find a way to let them know and get recognition. I had electronics TMs tell me that they felt awkward calling out square trades on the walkie because no ones cares. I had to remind them that their TLs and ETLs take notice when it's the same TM calling out multiple times a shift. Those things come up in meetings.
I do all of that. Another issue is that my etl wants to do more things in my work center, but tells me to ask my TL before I do anything extra. When my TL is there, I can’t do anything extra, when they’re not there I take advantage and do all that I can in every workcenter to help speed up the process. I don’t believe my TL wants me to do more when they’re there because it makes them look bad. I don’t know.. but then how am I supposed to move up when my TL doesn’t allow me to work at my full potential?

So a few months ago I had a discussion with my etl about the potential of me moving up to a tl position. Very soon after, they told me about a position coming up and would be trained to take on that role. The spot was eventually filled and have been told they’re waiting on an opportunity for something different to open up. I carried my team through the ever so dreadful q4 and out performed my tl and other tl’s while being cross trained in different work centers. I want to believe that there is a bright future for me here seeing as I really enjoy working for target, but I have very high expectations for my future and don’t want to be held back from achieving my goals. I have not been asked about being put on the bench or anything and it’s really starting to make me wonder. If anyone could give me some advice on how they score you on moving up, or if it sounds like they’re just talking out of their asses it would be very much appreciated.

You want some advice? Count your blessings you didn't get it. Value yourself enough to seek other employment.

If your resume isn't strong enough yet, either continue on with your education or... keep gunning for that promotion, then once you get it... use it for your resume... and seek other employment.

Honestly depending on the management you can have promotions dangled over your head for YEARS before they undeniably can't justify NOT promoting you any longer... sound like something you want?

Soooo, question, at my store we recently got a new ETL-HR, a male ETL-HR, and my ETL-SF is all over him. Like they go shopping together, the ETL-SF is at target on her days off, they are constantly texting each other, etc. Like to the point where everyone thinks they are having sex. What would happen to them if they got caught?

Regardless of if they’re peers, since one of them is ETL-HR, one would probably be transferred to another store. Technically ETL HR and ETL AP aren’t supposed to have those kinds of relationships with fellow ETLs as they need to be able to be impartial if an HR or AP issue occurred involving the other ETL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back