Archived Need to vent. 5.5 hours shifts are the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalina

Bullseye Biatch!
I cant even begin to say how much I hate them. I've always hated them. But now I'm 6 months pregnant and hate them even more.

I went from being SCO and GS(which I prefer) to being cashier constantly. Every shift(but especially the 5.5) my feet hurt so damn bad. Today I pulled a muscle in my back and leg from lifting heavy shit about 2 hours into my shift. Had to wait 2 more hours for a break and of course they kept me a full 20 mins after close (5 minutes before compliance) uuuuggghhhh. Rant over

Last edited:
Different strokes. I worked PT and live 5 minutes from Spot. 20 - 25 hours a week and I'm happy as a clam.

I only live 10 minutes away and work around the same amount of hours. It's just the 5.5 hours sucks cause standing there for 4 hours at a time without sitting during that time just hurts now.

If you can't stand for 4 hours I don't know what to tell you. Where you hired as a disabled TM?

I have no issues with the longer or shorter shifts cause I'm not going 4+ hours without a break. I was not hired as disabled I've been here for almost 4 years but the swelling in my feet because of my pregnancy has made it hurt to work these types of shifts. Wasn't an issue before. Also wasn't saying I can't. I'm just saying that its painful now

Last edited:
You might talk to your dr about getting a note so you can see if your store will provide a stool.
We've got two future mamas on the checklanes & both have been allowed use of stools to sit in between/as needed.

My doctor offered me a note but I told her I didnt need it right now because I'm afraid if I bring it a note I'll get my hours cut and the way out lanes are set up now it would make sitting difficult. It the shape or our lanes changes after our remodel this month I might get the note

I wouldn't worry too much about asking for a stool. Temporary accommodations should be easy for your store, unless they're assholes. I hurt my knee last year and spent several weeks, as a Hardlines TM, on one of the damn carts, hobbling around on crutches in between, and they worked with it. Sitting on a stool should be no big deal, and unless your guests are entitled assholes, they'll probably be happy to help move the heavier stuff off the belt themselves to help out a pregnant woman.

We have at least one cashier who uses a stool regularly, and one of our cart attendants was moved to cashier with a stool when he injured his leg at one point. My store leaders are not assholes, so if yours are this may be a different story, but if they're reasonable people they should have no problem if you ask. You might not even need a doctor's note--if you haven't asked they might not know that you're having any issues.

You'd THINK it would be at the halfway point but ASANTS depending on who writes the break schedule or how well their GSTL follows it.

You'd THINK it would be at the halfway point but ASANTS depending on who writes the break schedule or how well their GSTL follows it.

Sometimes it's at the halfway point but on many occasions they've made me go on break within the first 1.5-2 hours of my shift.

I wouldn't worry too much about asking for a stool. Temporary accommodations should be easy for your store, unless they're assholes. I hurt my knee last year and spent several weeks, as a Hardlines TM, on one of the damn carts, hobbling around on crutches in between, and they worked with it. Sitting on a stool should be no big deal, and unless your guests are entitled assholes, they'll probably be happy to help move the heavier stuff off the belt themselves to help out a pregnant woman.

We have at least one cashier who uses a stool regularly, and one of our cart attendants was moved to cashier with a stool when he injured his leg at one point. My store leaders are not assholes, so if yours are this may be a different story, but if they're reasonable people they should have no problem if you ask. You might not even need a doctor's note--if you haven't asked they might not know that you're having any issues.

My store leaders and our guests can be assholes.i had one guy load 4 of the 35lb cat litters onto my belt while I was dumping hangers, I asked him if he would mind putting them back in his cart because I'm not supposed to lift that much. He called me lazy, and when I told him it was cause I'm 6 months pregnant he told I just looked fat. Guess who loaded them back into his cart? Me. I had also mentioned to one of my leaders that I needed help with a large return(firepit) at guest service once and told her I would prefer to be at SCO and now they schedule exclusively cashier when I rarely was before, and my hours got cut drastically. So I'm really afraid to ask for anything st this point.

I just nag for my break. Lol....it irks them but they pay attention.

Don't let them go over 3 hours without asking, "when's my break?"
Also, a couple of times saying, "sorry, I have to leave on time for appt." Will break the habit of expecting you to stay right up to compliance.

I hate that chit. Poor time management is their problem.

That's why I like the new system. Our breaks are now on a grid, and it's rare that it's off by more than 5 min.

Back when GSAs were in charge, they fecked it up daily.

I'm probably the only one who ever tried to take my only fifteen as late as possible. At my new job, five hours is the compliance limit and I'm always scheduled five hour shifts so I'm finding myself waiting for three hours for a break so I can leave in two hours after. Yesterday, I went for four hours without a break voluntarily.

At Target, it was especially easy for me since I wasn't a cashier and was busy pushing in a busy department. I would wait until the very end of my shift to take it, or 45 minutes until the end. The time flew by. At my new job, there's things to do always, but time doesn't fly by just as fast, so I find myself going three hours without it pretty easily. It's nice now that if I work anything over five hours I get two breaks, rather where if I worked 5.5 at Target I'd get only one break for what was usually an almost six hour shift.

I agree, 5.5 hour shifts suck in terms of getting only one 15. The model should be a break every two hours, not one every (almost) six hours lol. Ask for a stool, it will be no issue. I injured my calf working out last Christmas and couldn't work in my department and my ETL-Food gladly set me up with a stool at the front end so I could still work, despite not being able to be in the department. I had generally good leadership, so ASANTS. Don't need a doctor's note, you already have a reason in you. Ask for a stool, don't look back.

i had one guy load 4 of the 35lb cat litters onto my belt while I was dumping hangers, I asked him if he would mind putting them back in his cart because I'm not supposed to lift that much. He called me lazy, and when I told him it was cause I'm 6 months pregnant he told I just looked fat.
I would've hit the blinker & called for someone else to load them in his cart.
You shouldn't be risking yourself (or your baby) by lifting that much.
Fuck that asshole.
At least in three months, you'll have a baby; he'll still be an asshole.

Fuck that asshole.
That’s right get a note and tell that rude motherfucker what’s right!!!!

I have no issues with the longer or shorter shifts cause I'm not going 4+ hours without a break. I was not hired as disabled I've been here for almost 4 years but the swelling in my feet because of my pregnancy has made it hurt to work these types of shifts. Wasn't an issue before. Also wasn't saying I can't. I'm just saying that its painful now
Did you miss the part that the ADA considers pregnancy to be a temporary disability and therefore pregnant women have the same exact legal right to reasonable accommodations and job protections as the permanently disabled? Why shoot yourself in the foot by refusing your legal rights and ignoring your medical needs and (while the kid will be fine) risk your ability to safely give birth due to injury from lifting too heavy things?

You need to read the ADA thread.

Fuck that asshole.
Sorry for taking so long to reply. Have had a lot going on. I cant ask for help because when you turn your blinker on it normally takes 5-10 minutes for a response and the pissy guy would have just gotten pissier.

Also thank you everyone else for your advice. I will take it into consideration, especially the compression socks once summer is over and my store isn't 100 degrees

I agree, 5.5 hour shifts suck in terms of getting only one 15. The model should be a break every two hours, not one every (almost) six hours lol. Ask for a stool, it will be no issue.

@Catalina Come join us in California where you HAVE to take a lunch before your 5th hour or you hit compliance 👍🏾For a 5hr shift you get a 15 min break and a lunch, 6-8hrs you get (2) 15 mins breaks and a lunch. Plus most of our SCOs/Service Advocates only work 4.75 unless asked to extend. Usually our Service and Engagement Leads are good giving breaks at the 2hr mark unless we're really swamped.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Have had a lot going on. I cant ask for help because when you turn your blinker on it normally takes 5-10 minutes for a response and the pissy guy would have just gotten pissier.

Also thank you everyone else for your advice. I will take it into consideration, especially the compression socks once summer is over and my store isn't 100 degrees

Well I would just let him get pissy. He was being unreasonable, so he can wait and have the guest behind him get mad at him for being an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back