Archived New call out rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if anyone has gotten any changes in calling out. We were told that now we are only allowed to call oit to the stl. If they are not in the building then we call out to our etl. We are no longer allowed to callout to anyone other than those two. Sooooo what exactly does that mean just go die in the store? I feel like this isnt a corporate thing and more a control freak thing?

Uh yeah that’s dumb as hell because the STL and ETLs aren’t there 24/7. Calling out to the LOD should be sufficient enough. At my store you don’t even need to talk to the LOD the operator just takes your name and department down and tells the LOD over walkie (private channel of course)

Even back in my day...you had to talk to either the LOD or area TL on duty.

At my store it has to be LOD which could be STL, ETL or SR TL. But not HR which some think they can tell

So what. It's just a stupid intimidation tactic. If you're sick, you're sick. I doubt it will last long, because the STL isn't going to be able to answer every sick call.

So what. It's just a stupid intimidation tactic. If you're sick, you're sick. I doubt it will last long, because the STL isn't going to be able to answer every sick call.

Ya know I didnt even think of it as intimidation. We asked if neither the stl or our etl were in what to do and our hr said come in anyway and the lod would decide if we need to go home. So the question is what do you do try and call out anyway?

Ya know I didnt even think of it as intimidation. We asked if neither the stl or our etl were in what to do and our hr said come in anyway and the lod would decide if we need to go home. So the question is what do you do try and call out anyway?

It's not "try" and call out. It's call out. If the STL isn't in, than an ETL better take it. What if you're on medication and can't drive?

It's not "try" and call out. It's call out. If the STL isn't in, than an ETL better take it. What if you're on medication and can't drive?
This ^ Also, life happens OUTSIDE of Target. If some personal matter happens, such as a death in the family, what does your store expect? Bring the ENTIRE Funeral to your job?? If an LOD can't take your call, I'm sure whoever answers your call takes your name, dept. and reason for calling out. Phone call done.

Excuse me! Come in anyway? WTF! There simply is no way that someone else is going to determine if I am too sick to work other myself or someone with the initials MD after their name.

Either there is some sort of communication breakdown in your store when this new 'rule' came down, or social media is going to have fun with this one.

Last edited:
This is another case of a store having attendance problems so the management MSUATGA (make shit up as they go along).
It is too strict and too short-sighted to be anything but management made up bullshit.
Be patient, it will change.
Bad management can never hold on to policies like this for very long.

Just curious if anyone has gotten any changes in calling out. We were told that now we are only allowed to call oit to the stl. If they are not in the building then we call out to our etl. We are no longer allowed to callout to anyone other than those two. Sooooo what exactly does that mean just go die in the store? I feel like this isnt a corporate thing and more a control freak thing?
Was your old procedure to call the LOD or anyone answering the phone? I have to remind TM that when the answer the phone that if someone calls out they need to talk to the LOD or the call never happened.

So if you are in the hospital you would still need to drive there to have the LOD determine if you need to go home? BS. At our store we need to contact the LOD and let them know we are not able to come in..EOS.

I wouldn't mind that policy personally. Only because I usually start work at 4am and I have my STL and ETLs phone numbers.

I'd be more than willing to go along with the policy and give them a call at 3am...

That's a store specific thing for sure. In my store the phone situation is so bad people regularly call 4-6 times and nobody picks up. You know it's bad when corporate calls your cell phone at work because they couldn't get through at the store phone.

This would be initiated by the STL. A DTL won't care about callouts and an STL won't agree to other ETLs requests that they have to take all call outs. To me it sounds like your store has people that call out all the time and will ask for a specific ETL to call out to (I was there, and have seen it happen before at another store). IMO a better way to handle this would be to coach people based on attendance. If you have x number of callouts its easy to coach based on reliability.

As for what to do if an ETL isnt there, a Sr. TL should suffice. A key carrier is always required to be in the building when team members are in it (unless there are approved overnight vendors locked in).

Dumb rule that won't last. You call out to the LOD. Whoever that may be.

That said, stores where you tell the operator you arent coming sound like a joke. I feel like if I'm running the store I have the right to hear it from you why you arent coming. (I also don't force or passive aggressively tell them to come in)

I have mixed feelings on this. The last 3 months I’ve worked for spot have been filled with coworkers calling out constantly, which pisses me off because I have to work harder (and because those are hours I could’ve been scheduled for) and it’s always the same people.

Then I called out for my first time ever last week and it was awful. From the LOD questioning whether I was really sick and pressuring me to come in later “once I felt better”, to the 4 HR people who questioned me the next day (while pointing out that I looked fine), to the GSAs who made a point to complain about how awful the day before had been because we were so short-staffed.... ugh fuck you all.
I was legit throwing up and shitting all morning. Tried to sleep so I could come in later (as requested), but woke up and immediately puked again.
Not only was I not able to work, but do you really want me spreading that to our guests??

At my store you must talk to the LOD. Even if you are only running a few minutes late.....have to talk to LOD. Our operators won't take any messages at all.

If you're in the hospital, at a funeral, etc. all you need to do is provide documentation and your absence will be excused no problems, no hard feelings. I tell every TM the same thing when they call out: more than 3 call outs within a certain time period is considered excessive and would be grounds to having a serious conversation about attendance, so think really hard about calling out. If they claim they are sick: Ok I'll mark you as a call off but if you want it excused bring in a doctor's note. Most don't seem to understand that call outs are still unexcused absences and something they can be performanced about. Sure a call out doesn't mean an automatic corrective like a NCNS does, but having enough to classify as a habit will put you on a corrective.

Oh and don't NCNS and then post snaps to your story and then try to turn around and claim you were too sick/or were unable to make a simple phone call. All of your fellow TMs that you're screwing over by not coming in are all too happy to rat you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back