Archived New Cashier for Black Friday...And Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new job at Target and I am so excited to be working here. I've been trying to apply for about a year at Target and I finally got in as a seasonal team member...I really happy, don't get me wrong, I am just so nervous. I feel like as a cashier, I have so much pressure on me. I already had my training and first day actually running the register, but I can't even tell you how many times I looked back and called for my trainer. I felt so lost. I really want to be better at this especially with Black Friday coming up so soon. If you have any uplifting words, that would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have a couple questions. When processing a redcard debit card, not credit, what do you do with their blank check after they hand it to you? Actually, if someone could give me step by step instructions, I really love you! Like dumb it down for me please:p Also, the steps for the WIC checks? And how to get through Black Friday as a cashier? Thanks guys!

It's so easy to feel overwhelmed the first couple of weeks cashiering. Especially around this time of year. I was hired as a cashier last November. Don't worry though! It gets to be a second nature I promise. To answer your redcard questions: When processing Debit, you run their check through the check reader (right underneath where the receipt comes out) after the application is done processing you'll hand the check back to the guest and tell them that the check is now "void", if it prints out there temporary card (meaning they were approved) let them now that it is their temporary card that they will use until the permanent card comes in the mail in about 7-10 days. And that's about it! Super simple! Don't stress things too much. Every new cashier makes mistakes, I was hired for seasonal last year and now I'm a GSA! ask questions always! Your trainers are there to help you.

And what is all the initials mean?:p GSA? GSTL? AP? Im Just confused with everything... especially the questions above

GSA = Guest Service Attendant: Basically a GSTL without the title and pay lol but a majority of the same duties

GSTL = Guest Service Team Leader: (Overseer of thou front lane at your store and are allowed to do coachings etc) there can be several in a store but usually only 1 of them is on the front lanes

AP = Assets Protection: Spots version of Batman..lol basically deals with security issues and crime makers and protects the assets of the Target store and does item counts and patrols and has several other misc duties and also helps close at night

ETL = Executive Team Lead: (There is many different kinds of ETL these positions usually require a 4 year degree)
| HR = Human Resources | HL: Hardlines | SL: Softlines | GE: Guest Experience | AP: Assets Protection |

*EIT = Executive in Training

SRTL = Senior Team Leader: (Different kinds also)

STL = Store Team Leader: (Overseer of thou store)

CA = Cart Attendant: What it says and includes bathroom checks and spill cleanups and other misc jobs

---------------

Common equipment terms on the you may hear but are simple

Walkie: Cashier don't have to worry about this but everyone else usually will carry one and are used to communicate on 3 different channels sometimes 4.

PDA: A device made for Target and connected to the Target network to do various functions and tasks (Item lookup) again Cashiers don't use this but most everyone else will besides Service desk and Food Ave and Starbucks

LPDA: Leader version the device above it is much smaller and gets alerts for the front lanes and meal reminders and can do many of the functions a PDA can. A GSTL and GSA make use of this

---------------

Red Card Application

1. Scan the Red Card app pamphlet terms

2. Pick either [Debit] or [Credit] Application

3. Have the guest give you a blank check (for debit app) or ID (for credit app) remind them the check becomes voided after this process (give it back to them) the machine will take it and hold it.

4. Remind the guest to please use the pen pad device to type in some necessary information for the application process

5. Follow the on-screen prompts (Zip-code etc) and there is a option to change address information just in case

6. The Check machine will now void the check and get the account information for them and it will then tell you to hand them the terms packet which you scanned

7. After it goes through a temporary credit or debit card on receipt paper will come out and you hand this to them and remind them it has a expiration date and the card should come in the mail within 4-10 business days

*For Credit App: Sometimes a little slip can be printed out that this application (Debit or Credit) is being reviewed and they will sent a reply in the mail to the guest stating the reason why.

*For Both: Sometimes the guest will be like "Well I don't want them to have my phone number" and you tell them it is for account issues and purposes only

Some purchases can trip a Red card prompt but don't forget to ask every guest regardless if it doesn't trip at all and if the guest is already paying with a check they can use the one they are paying with as the check for the debit application and it will use it as payment as well

As KatieKat has said don't hesitate to ask your GSA/GSTL any questions you may have and things will come with time including being comfortable with RC's and Register functions

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Welcome to The Break Room.

Breath.
It's not that hard.

Thanks everyone so far! I have anxiety so I'm not quite sure why they put me on as a cashier but I'll take what I can get. And I'm sure once I get the hang of it, I'll be okay. It's just the initial week or two that is difficult... but if anyone has the WIC question answered that would be so helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back