Archived New cashier

Status
Not open for further replies.
To do a cash sale you put in the amount of cash and hit enter and than k1 and it should give you the amount of change to give back.

I'm sure the person training you will go over this, if you have questions just ask the GSA/GSTL. Plenty of team members, old and new, ask questions all the time.

They'll also go over never typing in K1 or any other button if a guest tells you to.

I'm sure the person training you will go over this, if you have questions just ask the GSA/GSTL. Plenty of team members, old and new, ask questions all the time.

They'll also go over never typing in K1 or any other button if a guest tells you to.
Could you clarify why? I’m not sure I’ve ever been told this nor has it happened

Could you clarify why? I’m not sure I’ve ever been told this nor has it happened
Because when a guest is familiar enough with the POS to be telling you what buttons to press, it's probably because they're trying to scam you. Like the infamous "you need to press cash since this is a cash card " scam.

I see why, but I've had people who are exempt from sales tax for working with a church tell me what to do and it was all legitimate, it wasn't word for word "Press K8 then K1 for Hospital/Charity" but just basic information and stuff and explaining to me what I am typing in.

Yeah that’s different @TTGOz
However, need to also be careful with the tax-exempts as many resellers get tax-exempt certification/numbers or whatever for their stores. POS will allow you to run them as a non-profit Church or govt entity or whatever they tell you to run it as.

Not only are they not the type of tax-exempt org they say, but target also doesn’t allow sales to resellers in general.

whenever a guest tells me what button to press I just tune them out and press what I know is right. 9/10 they're trying to scam you, and the other 1/10, you should know what to hit anyways

Reactions: Dog
Because when a guest is familiar enough with the POS to be telling you what buttons to press, it's probably because they're trying to scam you. Like the infamous "you need to press cash since this is a cash card " scam.

Can confirm. In my experience, most of the time, when a guest is showing or explaining to you how to key something in, they're trying to manipulate you and/or the POS system to their advantage.

It happens a lot with shortchange artists and credit scammers.

Also watch out for guests who show you which barcode to scan. It might be possible that they've placed that barcode there themselves. ;)

Also watch out for guests who show you which barcode to scan. It might be possible that they've placed that barcode there themselves.
Yep, had a guest who peeled off a rewrap barcode & placed it on a high-dollar item but didn't mark thru the item's UPC.
Unfortunately for them, they landed in the line of a GSA who happened to be cashiering ATM.
Nope, thanks for playing tho.

Can confirm. In my experience, most of the time, when a guest is showing or explaining to you how to key something in, they're trying to manipulate you and/or the POS system to their advantage.

It happens a lot with shortchange artists and credit scammers.

Also watch out for guests who show you which barcode to scan. It might be possible that they've placed that barcode there themselves. ;)
Let's not forget the Cartwheel scammers who change a fake coupon to look like Cartwheel. "Oh, it's a Cartwheel coupon so it says coupon!"

whenever a guest tells me what button to press I just tune them out and press what I know is right. 9/10 they're trying to scam you, and the other 1/10, you should know what to hit anyways
Generally agreed, but there have been quite a few times that I've found myself teaching a cashier at another store how to do something while I'm in line to check out. I've also been vocal about the fact that I work at a different location when I do this, though.

Let's not forget the Cartwheel scammers who change a fake coupon to look like Cartwheel. "Oh, it's a Cartwheel coupon so it says coupon!"
THIS. “But it’s my cartwheel” no it’s not nice try though.

Generally agreed, but there have been quite a few times that I've found myself teaching a cashier at another store how to do something while I'm in line to check out. I've also been vocal about the fact that I work at a different location when I do this, though.
Be careful. I’ve had many guests lie about that to try to gain my trust.

Be careful. I’ve had many guests lie about that to try to gain my trust.
I usually don’t say anything if I go to a different store, just silently judge until I show my discount, I mean no one expects a kid to work there so you just dont get asked anything

Last edited:
I usually don’t say anything if I go to a different store, just silently judge until I show my discount, I mean no one expects a kid to work there so you just got get asked anything
this!
Especially with the Wallet update, it should really show an animated Bullseye or something on the screen to help prevent a screenshot from being used.
barcode expires after 1 min or something

Yeah I've seen a lot of incidents where people use a photoshopped (or otherwise altered) picture of Cartwheel coupons. Sometimes you can see they just open the image from their camera's picture roll lol.

barcode expires after 1 min or something
Okay, so, like, some apps have an animation on the screen for a coupon or something that prevents the average person from being able to fake it. For example, Dunkin Donuts used to have a rotating coffee cup that would show on the screen for coupons, which theoretically would be "proof" that the coupon is being shown from the app and not a screenshot. It's not 100% impossible to get around but it's definitely more difficult for the average person. Making the guest refresh their Wallet barcode would be a good alternative if the app didn't screw that up so much.

Okay, so, like, some apps have an animation on the screen for a coupon or something that prevents the average person from being able to fake it. For example, Dunkin Donuts used to have a rotating coffee cup that would show on the screen for coupons, which theoretically would be "proof" that the coupon is being shown from the app and not a screenshot. It's not 100% impossible to get around but it's definitely more difficult for the average person. Making the guest refresh their Wallet barcode would be a good alternative if the app didn't screw that up so much.
But you can’t fake it since it changes after 1 min. The wallet barcode (along with cartwheel) are really difficult to fake. Sure you could photoshop a fake manuf coupon but any cashier who’s paying attention won’t fall for that

Yeah. One time I had a $5 item and a single produce item. The cashier scanned the $5 item and then instead of punching in the code for the produce she simply typed in the price, which changed the $5 item to less than a dollar. When I pointed out her mistake and told her how to fix it, she snapped "I know how much [produce] costs." I'm glad you do know the cost, but you didn't tell the register the cost, you simply overrode the price of a different item.

But you can’t fake it since it changes after 1 min. The wallet barcode (along with cartwheel) are really difficult to fake. Sure you could photoshop a fake manuf coupon but any cashier who’s paying attention won’t fall for that

Wait, I'm supposed to pay attention when someone puts their phone up to scan Cartwheel?

Shit.... ;-)

Wait, I'm supposed to pay attention when someone puts their phone up to scan Cartwheel?

Shit.... ;-)
no. all you have to do is make sure on the screen it shows up as "Cartwheel" or "Cartwheel Manf". If it says just "manufacterurs coupon" and takes off a discount before you hit total, void it immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back