Archived New coupon scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night a guest came in with coupons scanned on her phone. It looks just like targets website and they said target coupons on them but after further inspection (i denied them but he kept insisting that i had to take them) they ARE target coupons but they are scanned onto a website called Totally Target and they do scan. They take off 10 dollars and the register does not stop them. Luckily the cashier caught it but this guest had an order of 500 dollars and he said he had "45 coupons".

we had fun putting that cart of abandon back. grrrr!!!

just thought i'd let you know as i like to be aware of these new things!

Last night a guest came in with coupons scanned on her phone. It looks just like targets website and they said target coupons on them but after further inspection (i denied them but he kept insisting that i had to take them) they ARE target coupons but they are scanned onto a website called Totally Target and they do scan. They take off 10 dollars and the register does not stop them. Luckily the cashier caught it but this guest had an order of 500 dollars and he said he had "45 coupons".

It's a HUGE scam right now. I have a feeling Target's team of lawyers are all over this one.

I'm not on register often but thanks for the info.
This kind of stuff is always good to know.

There is a mobile app called snipsnap that does the same thing (screenshots of coupon barcodes)... There was an urgent news on it almost a year ago, but it seems to have resurfaced with a vengeance in the past couple months from what I can tell.

Be very careful when accepting coupons from mobile devices, ask your GSTL if unsure.

Kind of going off topic. But can you store gift cards on cell phones?
Are there any scams that involve the real physical gift cards?
In the past couple of weeks in electronics, we've had guests come in and pay with stacks of gift cards, all with odd amounts of money.

Maybe I'm just paranoid since our store keeps on getting hit with fake money.

Yes, you can buy gift cards on phones.

Glad that the cashier caught the scam. Too bad the cashier didn't think to tell the guest that there's a limit of four of the same coupons!

Putting the cart back probably wasn't as annoying as the guest who picked out everything thinking that he'd be getting a deal!

the cashier didn't know he had that many because he didn't even scan the first one. I ONLY scanned the coupon because i wanted to see what it would do just so i would know what new thing we were dealing with. That's when the guy told me he had 45! "they're all different".

We actually had three more people try these coupons tonight. So frustrating!

Kind of going off topic. But can you store gift cards on cell phones?
Are there any scams that involve the real physical gift cards?
In the past couple of weeks in electronics, we've had guests come in and pay with stacks of gift cards, all with odd amounts of money.

Maybe I'm just paranoid since our store keeps on getting hit with fake money.

This past Christmas, my sister sent me a Target gift card that could be downloaded to a cell phone and then used in the store. I don't have a cell phone, so I used it online instead. So yes, they exist. I just wish I could have found a way to turn it into an actual gift card that I could have taken with me to the store. I found nice stuff online, but I prefer shopping in a store as opposed to online.

They don't always scan though. I've had to manually type in the giftcard number a few times to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back