Archived New Flow Team Member

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working at Target on the flow team. Unloading trucks and stocking shelfs. This isn't the best way to Hello to The Break Room. But i just wanted to say a few things.

The person that was training me was late. From what i can tell they are always late for work everyday. I got a 40 minute crash course on how things works. From reading the labels to where they go. After an 1hr on the job my trainer vanished on me and i was working all by myself. I was pulling palets from the backroom and dropping boxes off in the isles.

Then i was on the truck unloading it. Easy to learn job. So they use 2 people to unload the truck. I was on the right side of the truck. The bulk pallets came in on the left. The truck took around 90mins to unload. Once it was done. I had to start on the bulk pallets. The kitty litter, Pet food, water.... YEA ME.

So i was then put on the line. Nothing to much to say. But here is the fun facts. They had 4 people on the truck to unload it. Took 3hrs to unload.

Things i don't get:
1) Everyone goes to break at the same time. So nothing gets done for 15 mins.
2) Can't use your own box cutter. Have to use the small slim crappy one.
3) They put items in the wrong place. If they can find it. You just have to read the label. Its that simple.
4) They work harder and not smarter. Lets unload this pallet of laundry soap. So someone else can stock it.
5) Throw glass boxes item and don't clean up the mess.

On a side note.
Why would you have to older people well into the 60's of life. Lifting heavy items. They had chemicals, kitchen appliances, home good, toys and other item. While you have younger people that can do the job. At no time in your life should you see a lady in her 60's lifting a small refrigerator into a cart off the line.

The job is a great from the time i spent working so far. I just don't get the logic behind everything. Nothing is done to maximum efficiency of people skills sets. Things are put in the wrong place. People working with headphone on. I'm guessing that nothing will be done even if something is said about it. It seems like this has been going on forever. As long as the truck gets done. Seems to be the main goal.

Welcome to The Break Room.

Sounds pretty familiar.
Before I became the signing ninja I worked flow so you start was pretty close to mine.
The break thing actually works out for the best, it's a whole lot easier to ride herd on the whole group than to keep track of them a few at a time.
We used to take both 15 at the same time and then our 30.
Everybody liked that which is why I'm sure they decided it had to stop/

We've discussed the box cutter thing.

Items in the wrong place, especially on flats.
If it's papergoods, there is a good chance that the steel captain is moving things around to find a home for it so they are playing flat skip.
That damn stack of paper towels will be bounced around for the next couple of hours.

It's not so much harder instead of smarter. It's faster instead of smarter.
Most of the time you are flipping stuff out of the truck so quick (if you're doing it right) that everything is reflex.
Sometimes this means things slip past.

Cleaning up the mess is for later when the truck is done.

Most of those old folks can kick your ass, or at least the ones I worked with could, so watch it. :)

Have fun, keep your eyes open, and check for second locations.

There's a lot of moving parts to flow team. There's probably tons of inefficiencies but sometimes things are done a certain way for a reason. 3 hour unload: this is with two trucks?

If you're this cynical now, you're going to love Target.

Items in the wrong place are on the shelfs on the floor. I had to clear a spot out just so the proper item can be put on the shelf.

Lazy is an understatement in the case of the store i work in. If thats the case. Then they can pick a prize off the top shelf, because they won it.

3 hour unload is crazy even if it was a double (assuming you take both trailers at the same time). Our ETL would freak out if 2-2000 piece trailers took longer than a hour and 45 minutes.

When my store does doubles we have to take them one at a time.

When my store does doubles we have to take them one at a time.

It seems like it would drag out the process. I assume there are some stores that have no choice, especially if space during unload is hard to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back