Archived New GSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! So I'm a new GSA at my store, and I'm still kind of learning all the little things about the job. Does anyone have any advice on how to be successful?

Also, my GSTL has been asking me to make games and do fun things to encourage the cashiers to get red cards, and I don't really have any good ideas for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey there! I've been a GSA since April myself.

Biggest tip I can give: Don't let anyone push you around, be they Team Members OR Guests. A "Smart" Team Member will know that you're still "Just" a TM as well, not a TL. We are, however, in a Leadership position. My GSTL's have always had my back whenever I've had to have "Conversations" with a cashier/cart attendant/whoever. Guests will also try to walk right over you to get their way.

Also; know your policies. Price Match, Return, Coupon, etc. If you don't know them at the top of your head, have them available. I constantly keep copies of our coupon policy at our registers to help keep our "Extreme Couponers" in line. It helps quite a bit when you can whip out a document showing "No, we can't give you overage/credit for cheaper items. No, you can't use that expired coupon. No, you can't use that $5 off coupon on a $1 item. Yes, you better believe I'm adjusting that down."

Other than that? Relax. It can be stressful. Especially this time of the year. Don't let any one guest get under your skin, and always try to keep on top of the "little" things.

I'm not a GSA, but I can help with the games as our GSTLs/GSAs are always giving us prizes. Usually the prizes are like "5 extra minutes for your break" or every 2nd RedCard you'll get a free Starbucks drink. When you put "free" in front of anything it usually encourages TM to do anything. We also did a small raffle where at the end of the month the GSTL would chose three tickets and those three people won something. Just small little stuff like that is always nice.

I'm new so I don't have a lot of experience or much tips for you, but the other day the GSA said whoever got the next RedCard got to pick a silly hat for any TM to wear and I thought that was fun. Also, if you hear someone calling you on the walkie, please answer it. All day yesterday I was really needing the GSA, but she was ignoring me (at some points she was too busy, which is okay) and I ended up having to leave my area to go talk to her and it was kind of frustrating.

I constantly keep copies of our coupon policy at our registers to help keep our "Extreme Couponers" in line. It helps quite a bit when you can whip out a document showing "No, we can't give you overage/credit for cheaper items. No, you can't use that expired coupon. No, you can't use that $5 off coupon on a $1 item. Yes, you better believe I'm adjusting that down."

I like this idea, no one at my store does it, but it makes sense.

I know the coupon policy, and have pulled it up on the iPad at Guest Service to show guests in the past, but hadn't ever printed out copies of it to have on hand when needed.

I'm new so I don't have a lot of experience or much tips for you, but the other day the GSA said whoever got the next RedCard got to pick a silly hat for any TM to wear and I thought that was fun. Also, if you hear someone calling you on the walkie, please answer it. All day yesterday I was really needing the GSA, but she was ignoring me (at some points she was too busy, which is okay) and I ended up having to leave my area to go talk to her and it was kind of frustrating.

The make someone wear a hat thing can be discrimination in certain cases - be careful! If someone doesn't want to wear the hat, don't make them!

Play hangman. Every redcard is a guess. Whoever guess it gets to pick a prize (Target swag, cheap DVD, $5 food ave coupon, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back