Archived New GSTL looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some questions for GSTLs current and former. I am an external hire if that changes anything
1 do you like your position? Why or why not?
2 is it really that stressful?
3 is it worth it
4 how is the possibility of promotion
5 how is the work life balance
Any other advice?

Just some questions for GSTLs current and former. I am an external hire if that changes anything
3 is it worth it
Any other advice?
1- do you like what you do?
2- what jobs has no stress attached to it?
3- do you like the pay?
4- are you willing to work for a promotion?
5- what work/life balance can you tolerate?

I generally enjoy my job. I'm always busy. There's always something to do. There will be days that you aren't given the resources to succeed. Those are frustrating, but you need to be okay ending your shift knowing you did the best you could, or at least recognizing what you could've done better the next time around.

Delegate. Do not do everything yourself. You need to trust the cashier team to complete tasks without constant supervision.

Pay is pretty good as far as retail management goes. I would be willing to work for a promotion if I knew I wasn't starting grad school soon.

Work/life balance is pretty good. Working 40 hours/week with every other weekend off gives me plenty of time to do things. I don't think about work once I clock out.

Service and Engagement leaders will mainly focus on guest service along with red cards but mainly driving guest loyalty. If you ready for that challenge then go for it

I side with Targetpirate.
But if I had to be more constructive: I suggest to make sure you work on creating a tight team with your GSAs. GSA are going to be expected to do the same job (minus the coaching and pay), you need to motivate, reward, trust them with their decisions, and back them up. As a TL for the love of god please document your coachings and conversations so that it's easier to get rid of the bad apples.
Also if you want to be an excellent leader (not just a good one) you'll gain a lot more loyalty from TMs if you train to develop (not just to get stuff done) and offer you mentorship to those who need it/ want it.

3 is it worth it
Any other advice?

1. No
2. Yes
3. No
4. No
5. No

Granted, my leadership team sucks most days, so I have them texting me about coupons and shit literally while I'm trying to get my kids in bed, or some other inopportune time. If my SD wasn't so afraid of our DSD, and our ETL team didn't all leave the building for hour long lunches during peak time together, I'm sure I'd enjoy it more. I definitely feel fulfilled when I get to help parents with their kids' last minute school project shopping, or seeing the pure unadulterated joy in an 18-month-old's face when I hand them a sticker.

1. No
2. Yes
3. No
4. No
5. No

Granted, my leadership team sucks most days, so I have them texting me about coupons and shit literally while I'm trying to get my kids in bed, or some other inopportune time. If my SD wasn't so afraid of our DSD, and our ETL team didn't all leave the building for hour long lunches during peak time together, I'm sure I'd enjoy it more. I definitely feel fulfilled when I get to help parents with their kids' last minute school project shopping, or seeing the pure unadulterated joy in an 18-month-old's face when I hand them a sticker.

this

I side with Targetpirate.
But if I had to be more constructive: I suggest to make sure you work on creating a tight team with your GSAs. GSA are going to be expected to do the same job (minus the coaching and pay), you need to motivate, reward, trust them with their decisions, and back them up. As a TL for the love of god please document your coachings and conversations so that it's easier to get rid of the bad apples.
Also if you want to be an excellent leader (not just a good one) you'll gain a lot more loyalty from TMs if you train to develop (not just to get stuff done) and offer you mentorship to those who need it/ want it.
There are no more GSAs or GSTLS.

This thread confuses me.

could be like my store where half the store didnt know what a gstl was and just called for gsa’s all the time and now that gsa’s are gone they.... still just call for gsa’s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back