Archived New Guest Services Member. Have a Few Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am new to target (orientation is Sunday) and was wondering f anyone could tell me more about guest services position. When hired, I was briefly explained but I still don't really fully know what all is included in the tasks.... can someone explain what all I will be doing?
Also, will I get a walkie?
And lastly, will I get good hours in the holiday season even with seasonal employees being hired? I am part time but would like to be at the high end of part time.
Thanks in advance!

Greetings and salutations.

Welcome to The Break Room.

I haven't worked GS so my answers will be general but I'm sure other folks will give you good answers.
GS should have a walkie assigned to the section, though not to you directly.
Your hours will vary wildly depending on the store but should be good during the holidays.

GS should have at least one walkie over there at a time, hopefully more than one of you can have one in case it gets busy or you have to get pulled in different areas. You should also be pretty good on hours for awhile considering there has to be coverage the majority of the time the store is opening depending on how busy your store is.

At least at my store "guest service" (assuming you mean the service desk specifically, and not cashiers as well) is 1 person, so the idea of more than 1 of the 1 person at the service desk having a wakie is...well...not likely :p

As for explaining what you'll be doing, there's a lot to guest service, more than I can write concisely, so a brief overview would be that you will mostly deal with returns, and reshop. Returns is self explanatory, but in addition to refunding the guest, you will then determine what to do with the items afterwards, defect them if necessary, put them in the proper reshop cart if not (reshop is the term for any merchandise being pushed back to the floor, there are different carts for the items based on what department they go in).

If you have specific questions after your first shift(s) I'd be happy to try and answer them, but to try and cover everything in extreme detail wouldn't work very well since many of the responsibilities of a guest service team member will vary store to store, as will many of the specifics of the processes. For example, when working the service desk I did tasks (processing Salvage, CRC, ESIM, Donate, Vendor Pickup, and Toss at the end of the night) that other stores allocate to the LOD (leader on duty, - think store manager), so explaining how to do them might be pointless.

Perhaps your store is lower volume than mine.

Possibly, we're A volume, Pfresh, with integrated guest service.

Not sure what we did in sales today, but yesterday we did ~128,200 before pharmacy was added in.

Guest service could be sales floor job during peak times. As others have said, you will get trained for an area & partnered with a trainer. If you are doing the service desk, they train you as a cashier, first. If you do great with red cards, handling guests, getting attachments & ring very fast, then you might get service desk if you pass. Be advise, service desk is can be a very stressful position during 4th quarter.
Welcome, by the way.

Thanks to all that replied! Even the basic overview that you all have is way more details than I got when offered the position! Glad to have found this site, too. Reading all the experiences others have had with orientation and what not takes away the stress and nerves about mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back