Archived New Hire - BG Check concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

5thElement

VML FYeah
Hi everyone!

I was offered the position of Visual Merchandising Leader today, and I am scheduled for orientation on Friday. However, I am concerned about the background check.

I have a pending misdemeanor charge of petty theft, in which I am going to court for this upcoming Thursday. As of right now, my lawyer is trying get Probation Before Judgement instead of an actual conviction. The prosecution is offering 18 mos probation and the misd. conviction.

Now when I initially applied at Target, I cannot remember if I was asked about my criminal history. However, the answer would have been NO because as of today, I have not been convicted of any crime. Since my final court date will be in 2 days, I am concerned about the BG check because I am positive it will show. I am afraid it will look like I falsified my application(if i actually get convicted), in which I did not.

I've already accepted the position, but should I bother with the remaining steps?

I'm pretty sure at this moment a background check will yield nothing.

Are you through being a thief?

No, you're fine until you have a judgement against you. I would ask your lawyer to see if he can get it expunged. I had trouble once, and was given two options: a shorter probation period, with it on my record or a longer probation period(twice as long) and the offense would be expunged. I chose the latter. It cannot be found.

Also, I'll add that some employers ask if you've ever been arrested. Not convicted. Arrested. You are under no obligation to answer that.

I'm pretty sure at this moment a background check will yield nothing.

Are you through being a thief?

Yes.

However, I have had 2 other job offers that also ran a BG, and the pending case showed up. Also, what's being reported isn't accurate(the reports still show the 4 original charges. 3 were dropped a month ago).

Good luck. You're probably gonna need it...

A background check will report any and all charges against you. Even when they are dropped they remain on the database for several years, though typically there will be a notation that they were dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back