New Hire Observations

Hi everyone,

I've recently joined Target as a seasonal Team Member after deciding to take some time away from what I've done for over 20 years, namely being a store manager for some pretty well known companies. I got burned out running stores but still wanted to keep working and decided a part time seasonal gig would be perfect. Here, in no particular are some of my observations:

1. My training so far has been pretty non existent, rather I was thrown into the fray in my current position without learning how to use the zebra guns, how to read shelf labels, what to do with damaged product or expired product, or how to look up a pog for product placement. Being trained in these areas would allow me to merchandise correctly and keep inventory in-line.
2. Everyone I've run across on the salesfloor hasn't introduced themselves nor asked if I had any questions. Again I find this odd and a direct correlation to the training/leadership culture in the store. Do you feel mindset is that of "oh they are just seasonal and we have no time for them"
3. My lead has spent zero time with me, asking questions to check for knowledge and understanding or again to even let me know to come to them if I have questions? Is this normal?
4. I've not been introduced to anyone in the store whom could help me better perform or be a resource if I have questions?

Again, I've been a store manager for multi million dollar stores and would never "train" someone the way I've been trained so far. So far I've seen no videos nor had training checklist, which is what I'm accustomed to doing with newbies. My retail intellect is pretty high so luckily I've figured a few things out, but I'm just blown away by the lack of leadership and training and develolment afforded to me so far. Thoughts?

Everyone is going to pile on and say the training sucks because it does. Just speaking for my store we usually pair seasonals with regulars so you can bounce questions off of them as you go but other stores aren’t as organized when 100 new people show up in a 3 week period. I’m going to bet your level of experience raised some eyebrows so they threw you in to the mix to test you which isn’t the best way to go about things. I’ll admit myself I don’t go about introducing myself to everyone because I’m buried in workload and I’m awful with names. A lot of team leads kind of expect team members to stop us and ask questions. Everyone on this board came here to figure out what’s going on and this board is the reason most TMs have figured out how to do their jobs.

Sorry you have to deal with all of that. A phrase you’ll see a lot here is ASANTS, All Stores Are Not The Same. Hopefully we can help you out here.

Thanks Fix It. I want to do a good job, I really do. I'm a firm believer that everyone comes to work wanting to succeed and do their best and it's up to the leaders and seniored partners in the stores to help that cause along. I know with the sheer size and volume of TM's in the building that some things are just not possible. Appreciate the feedback.

Training has been pretty dismal in the past 5-7 years. Target expects us to do more with less hours. So add training to that list, you get rushed training because your trainer has to also finish his heavy workload. Learning plans, HA! I haven't seen learning plans executed in ages. But that shouldn't be an excuse for very poor training, at least your trainer can give you the basics like reading labels, use the Zebra, and your core roles each day. For more specific questions, you have to ask, we don't exactly have a learning plan to go by these days.

I get that I really do. My last company took away "training hours" and they were absorbed into the stores regular hours so when a newbie was watching videos that was one less body helping the store out. I'll make sure to ask more questions for sure going forward.

Everything you said was exactly my experience when I was hired early last year. I definitely felt like I was either ignored or given the side-eye by some of my peers. Like you, I had a ton of retail experience (though I was never a store manager), so I figured some things out on my own, and I asked fellow TMs a lot of questions. Most did not volunteer information but would help out when asked.

As Fix It said, most TMs and TLs have a lot to do and training is pretty low on our list of priorities. I know that sounds horrible, but I'm just being honest - no one is happy when they walk in for their shift and HR drops the "newbie" bomb! But a decent person makes the best of it. I've had a few trainees this month and I try to be as helpful as I can, and I have been lucky in that they've all had previous retail experience and picked up on things pretty quickly.

Don't let the lack of training and organization deter you - with your experience, I am sure that you will do well and will be recognized as an asset to your store - good luck!

Oh, and

Yeah, training when there are so many on-boarding at the same time is rough. The way we do things now make training different than in the past in the sense that instead of dedicated teams that worked the same task all over the store, we have "dedicated business owners" who do everything in one area of the store. So there are more things one person needs to do with the same products. I still haven't really figured out how to take care of price changes in my area or certain aspects of backroom management and I consider myself to be a veteran.
And yes, some of us don't have a lot of patience with the seasonal newbies. Some of them have been assigned to me for training, and I think I'm pretty patient with a new person, teaching them enough to be able to do the immediate task but not overwhelm them with lots of details all at once. All those things you listed in point #1? For someone who hasn't had your experience in retail, that would be completely overwhelming.
As to points #2-4, it's kind of a conundrum in that this is the overload busy time of year and when we bring on lots of new staff. Everyone is up to their eyeballs in work load and needs help, but no one has time to properly train the newbies.
Then there was the TM who hired in seasonally and her very first shift was as a cashier on Black Friday. Wow, really? Welcome to the land of Target.

FlowTeamChick... I completely get everything you said, having dealt with the 'train the newbie' challenges for all these years. I always looked for my newbies to be patient of the circumstances and put forth the effort required to learn on their own and be proactive in their own development.

I was fortunate when I was first trained in softlines flow that we all worked together as a group so my entire team was there to mentor me. It’s so much different now. I’m the most senior person in my area and yet they have new hires being trained by other semi-new hires.
I do make a point to tell new people where my area is and that they are welcome to find me if they need help. I get that many of them will be gone by the end of the season but if I can be helpful I’m going to try.

Ok Then.. That's awesome you do that and that is kind of what I'm figuring would have happened my first few days. The more everyone knows the better.

Bottom line, a lot of seasonal hires are in high school or barely out and think a job will be the same, the crazy demands will have a lot of other seasonals saying "nope" and leaving for other more sane jobs, and the stupidly low hours that will happen after a couple weeks will make many more seasonals calculate (wage*hours)=$ and realize they will make more money elsewhere even with a lower hourly wage.

And sorry to say that becomes a self sustaining cycle. Why bother to spend the time doing detailed training or even creating friendly working bonds when the person likely won't be here in two weeks? Why should you stay in a chaotic place for low hours and guests that Target encourages to be entitled when it seems you aren't wanted, judging by the shit training and not sociable team members?

In my experience a lack of training is a primary cause of turnover for sure and I understand the thought process of management in having the "why bother" mindset as it pertains to training newbies. A few months before I left my last employer I brought on a newbie for a pick and pack role in the store and thought he wouldn't make it nor want to stay because of the craziness of the position. However, me being me I made the conscientious decision to do my job and train this person to the best of my ability and he turned out to be a very valuable store employee and has since been promoted to a higher paying role.

Honestly, most of the Zebra apps/functions I figured out on my own by clicking though them.

No one "told me" that Price Change Verification was back as Price Audit. Or the Back room clearance batches drop sooner than before the update, or that pricing Salvage drops into the workload before actual pricing.

: shrug :

I figured out the Sales data, and just asked an ETL when I had a specific question. Figured out how to "My Support" issues by learning hands on by myself.

*I* can only teach a new tm so much before their eyes glaze over and they get completely lost.

Good luck. Find a smart person in your store and ask questions. Or feel free to post them here.

Whe
Hi everyone,

I've recently joined Target as a seasonal Team Member after deciding to take some time away from what I've done for over 20 years, namely being a store manager for some pretty well known companies. I got burned out running stores but still wanted to keep working and decided a part time seasonal gig would be perfect. Here, in no particular are some of my observations:

1. My training so far has been pretty non existent, rather I was thrown into the fray in my current position without learning how to use the zebra guns, how to read shelf labels, what to do with damaged product or expired product, or how to look up a pog for product placement. Being trained in these areas would allow me to merchandise correctly and keep inventory in-line.
2. Everyone I've run across on the salesfloor hasn't introduced themselves nor asked if I had any questions. Again I find this odd and a direct correlation to the training/leadership culture in the store. Do you feel mindset is that of "oh they are just seasonal and we have no time for them"
3. My lead has spent zero time with me, asking questions to check for knowledge and understanding or again to even let me know to come to them if I have questions? Is this normal?
4. I've not been introduced to anyone in the store whom could help me better perform or be a resource if I have questions?

Again, I've been a store manager for multi million dollar stores and would never "train" someone the way I've been trained so far. So far I've seen no videos nor had training checklist, which is what I'm accustomed to doing with newbies. My retail intellect is pretty high so luckily I've figured a few things out, but I'm just blown away by the lack of leadership and training and develolment afforded to me so far. Thoughts?
When I started in 2015, I felt the same way and that was before regular sales floor TMs had any other responsibilities besides just organizing and putting stuff back. I remember being chastised for not knowing something that I was never told. Target’s training has always been horrible, especially with seasonals that will probably be there maybe 4 weeks.

You all have been great in your replies. Thank you. Ill just keep plugging along and pick up what I can and ask questions and see what happens.

Honestly, most of the Zebra apps/functions I figured out on my own by clicking though them.

No one "told me" that Price Change Verification was back as Price Audit. Or the Back room clearance batches drop sooner than before the update, or that pricing Salvage drops into the workload before actual pricing.

: shrug :

I figured out the Sales data, and just asked an ETL when I had a specific question. Figured out how to "My Support" issues by learning hands on by myself.

*I* can only teach a new tm so much before their eyes glaze over and they get completely lost.

Good luck. Find a smart person in your store and ask questions. Or feel free to post them here.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I can flood my fulfillment trainees with information, but there is no way they can take it all in. It's just noise until a situation comes up in reality. So, I tell them to ask questions. I introduce them to all the TLs. I introduce them to our DBOs. I tell them these are the people you need to talk to if you can't find something. And, I let them know that they can always just ask me. Those who ask questions, get better. Those who don't find out that yes, I have been paying attention to what they are doing and even though I'm just a regular TM, I'll have a come to Jesus conversation with them. If that doesn't work, the next conversation will be a more unpleasant one with an ETL.

I'm a big fan of learning as you go. Ask how to handle things when issues come up and you'll remember more. That's how I learned.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I can flood my fulfillment trainees with information, but there is no way they can take it all in. It's just noise until a situation comes up in reality. So, I tell them to ask questions. I introduce them to all the TLs. I introduce them to our DBOs. I tell them these are the people you need to talk to if you can't find something. And, I let them know that they can always just ask me. Those who ask questions, get better. Those who don't find out that yes, I have been paying attention to what they are doing and even though I'm just a regular TM, I'll have a come to Jesus conversation with them. If that doesn't work, the next conversation will be a more unpleasant one with an ETL.

I'm a big fan of learning as you go. Ask how to handle things when issues come up and you'll remember more. That's how I learned.
You just reminded me of another contributing factor. Some newbie seasonals seem to think they know everything, and that annoys the old timers. Last year there were a few SFS newbies that I simply walked away from because they would argue when I answered their question about where to find something or when I offered help they'd growl that they didn't need help. Fine, you don't want it, you're going to argue when I say that 020 bridal sleep tops are going to be misplaced in graphic tees, good luck finding things.

You just reminded me of another contributing factor. Some newbie seasonals seem to think they know everything, and that annoys the old timers. Last year there were a few SFS newbies that I simply walked away from because they would argue when I answered their question about where to find something or when I offered help they'd growl that they didn't need help. Fine, you don't want it, you're going to argue when I say that 020 bridal sleep tops are going to be misplaced in graphic tees, good luck finding things.

That seems to be the case with the type of newbs they put in fulfillment. An all too common occurence is that I remind them that they need to ask before INFing when they first come in that day. So, they come across a style item they can't find. If it's hanging, I naturally tell them to go look in the appropriate backroom aisle. Somehow, they never seem to find it no matter the on hands. Then, they don't ask me about anything else the rest of the day presumably because I made them go look for something. :rolleyes: That's the job: looking for shit. So go fucking look.

Lol.. Yeah ya lost me there for sure.. SFS? Ship for Store? INFing? No idea

Lol.. Yeah ya lost me there for sure.. SFS? Ship for Store? INFing? No idea

SFS is the Ship From Store portion of the Flexible Fulfillment team. They do SFS where guest's online orders are picked, packed, and shipped out to them. They also do Order Pickup (OPU) where the online orders are picked and stored near the service desk for guests coming in to pick them up. INFing means that while the team member was picking the orders they pressed "Item Not Found" on a product, cancelling that item from the order.. it's one of our scored metrics so ideally not done much.

When I started at Target years ago I was "trained" by a young cashier, a college student who had me ring on her team member number. She became angry when I hurt her speed score. She taught me nothing. When later I was coached for doing something wrong I went to the STL. They then started putting registers in training mode for new cashier's. I then explored all functions, even those not taught. We eventually developed a good training plan but sadly, that is now kaput.

Back