New Hire Observations

Spot wants part timers with no benefits.

They'll get that this year, my avg hours are below the threshold for part time benefits

ETA: And I don't give a shit about making a difference to the company's bottom line. I'll work enough to stay out of trouble and not be seen as totally lazy. Spot doesn't care about me, and I'm not planning to care about it.

Last edited:
Thanks Fix It. I want to do a good job, I really do. I'm a firm believer that everyone comes to work wanting to succeed and do their best and it's up to the leaders and seniored partners in the stores to help that cause along. I know with the sheer size and volume of TM's in the building that some things are just not possible. Appreciate the feedback.
Have you done any of your required online training? I'm a pretty friendly person and will go out of my way to say hi to everyone, especially the new people. I remember what it was like during my first couple of days and just being acknowledged and knowing there was a friendly face helped. Be proactive and reach out to your leaders.

Damn man don't know where to start after reading this.. I'm sure your post came from the heart and frustrations with your work, I get that, but I disagree on a few points. Everyone can make a difference to the bottom line of the company. Those that take the attitude not to then so be it. For me it's a matter of pride and ethic. Happiness at a job is not correlated to the amount of money one makes, at least not in my case. I was making close to $40/hour when I break my old salary down to an hourly rate, but the headaches and unhappiness it cause me on a daily basis just wasn't worth it. I'm happier now then when I was making a nice salary and for me that is where I place value. From some of the post though it appears Target needs to address training/pay/work load issues as many have commented on it. I'll keep that in mind in the future.. Again I appreciate the brutal honesty.
You know what would make my day and it doesn't cost a cent...a simple thank you. Yes, I am doing my job, but there are many instances where I go above and beyond and recognition is close to zero. I also notice the lack of acknowledgement with our DTL's and higher. They come into the store and barely say anything to the team members.

You know what would make my day and it doesn't cost a cent...a simple thank you. Yes, I am doing my job, but there are many instances where I go above and beyond and recognition is close to zero. I also notice the lack of acknowledgement with our DTL's and higher. They come into the store and barely say anything to the team members.
I agree with the recognition thing and I definitely try to go out of my way to recognize my team but my DSD, GVP and most group partners are huge about acknowledging TMs when they come in. Talk to all the TMs and ask them how they’re doing and ask a few how they like target. Definitely some good leadership in my group but I can imagine it’s not an everywhere thing

I agree with the recognition thing and I definitely try to go out of my way to recognize my team but my DSD, GVP and most group partners are huge about acknowledging TMs when they come in. Talk to all the TMs and ask them how they’re doing and ask a few how they like target. Definitely some good leadership in my group but I can imagine it’s not an everywhere thing

It's not. Our leadership doesn't mix with us the unwashed TM's.. They do one loop around the race track coffee in hand and then hide in an office and we hear they are gone a few hours later.

That upper leadership not acknowledging tms is one of my biggest pet peeves with Target. It's disgraceful that the people doing the heavy lifting for these high paid execs don't get as much as a hello when we get a visit. I noticed it a lot when we had a remodel a few years ago.

Once our new HR above the BP came in and didn't even say hi to us in HR and we were literally 5 feet away. Definitely sends a message, ya know?

Last edited:
That upper leadership not acknowledging tms is one of my biggest pet peeves with Target. It's disgraceful that the people doing the heaving lifting for these high paid execs don't get as much as a hello when we get a visit. I noticed it a lot when we had a remodel a few years ago.

Once our new HR above the BP came in and didn't even say hi to us in HR and we were literally 5 feet away. Definitely sends a message, ya know?
I have walked by them and said, Hi, and not received a response.

There's actually useful training in Workday. Check out the Fulfillment training it gives a lot of information in a short amount of time. I was given training by told to complete the Workday training, but not any directions. All my old training was still in the system, and I know the systems better than some people, so I had extra time to look at some other training I was not assigned.

Upside: Someone at corporate heard the complaints so training doesn't seem 4+ years out of date anymore. Downside: You need to let people know the training exists.

When I was at Target before I trained everyone, or had someone else train them then would quiz them or have them train me so I could find gaps. I told them they would be on information overload, but to ask questions and I didn't expect them to retain all the information. We improved in many areas that way and it showed in our sales numbers. ASANTS

When I got hired I thought it was weird that there were no training videos to watch. On my first day I expected to get paid to watch videos about Material Safety Data Sheets for 8 hours. Naw fam, all the way at the back of the store through those double doors, you'll see the unload line, ask for (ETL-LOG). Previously I had worked at companies that give you equipment and training instead of hours, but this was my first time working somewhere that gave me neither. Made for a rough three weeks/months/years but I somehow survived. Somehow!

Could I? Yes.. Do I want to? No How do they think they'll keep good people that way I wonder
It's part time. Unless you are a TL.

Training is minimal because you are being evaluated on the basis of your ability to use your judgment, figure things out, and get along. Nobody introduced? Did you introduce yourself? Zebra has basics, but questions are expected by newbies. So ask.

Good luck!

Funny, whether as a regular employee or a leader, I've always preferred to avoid all upper management. Recognition from my peers all the way up to Store Manager? Hell yes, bring it on, but district/regional folks are more than welcome to walk on by.

Training is minimal because you are being evaluated on the basis of your ability to use your judgment, figure things out, and get along. Nobody introduced? Did you introduce yourself? Zebra has basics, but questions are expected by newbies. So ask.

Good luck!

This is completely untrue. If your store evaluates people on the basis of giving them no direction and seeing how they do, I'd hate to see your turnover numbers...

Good luck!

Uh, I understand that retail isn't rocket science but as pointed out in Nickeled and Dimed even the simplest jobs have different methods and standards depending on the company.
I also know that training is costly and an investment that really isn't worth it in the long run for someone you are going to dump at the end of the season.
However, is it any wonder that guests think the TMs are idiots or that the long term TMs are tearing their hair out because they are both losing our hours while not getting any support?
A couple of days worth of focused training would go a towards fixing these problems.
But that would require planning and hours which will never happen.
So Spot will continue to make excuses.

I don't believe that the lack of training is intentional and meant to weed out those that cannot fend for themselves. That's often what happens, but it's not something that is done with forethought.

Another reason why newbies are not welcomed with open arms is because seasonals are sucking up hours that could be distributed to the regular TMs. Now, I've already trained two seasonals that are great and I would love for them to be kept on, as long as we can get rid of at least two of our regulars who are less than stellar.

I probably don't do a good job at going out of my way to introduce myself to new people but that's mostly because this time of year...
  • buried in freight and trying to dig out.
  • completely exhausted
That said, I'm more than happy to help someone or show them the proper way to do something if I see they need assistance or I'm asked. I want the store to run properly and helping you is probably also helping me. And I can say that most of the veteran TMs I know are more than willing to help show new folks the ropes. I guess my advice to new TMs is never be afraid to ask for advice.

Have you done any of your required online training? I'm a pretty friendly person and will go out of my way to say hi to everyone, especially the new people. I remember what it was like during my first couple of days and just being acknowledged and knowing there was a friendly face helped. Be proactive and reach out to your leaders.

Nope.. None at all.. Guess that means I'm on the chopping block as a seasonal anyhow..

Damn man don't know where to start after reading this.. I'm sure your post came from the heart and frustrations with your work, I get that, but I disagree on a few points. Everyone can make a difference to the bottom line of the company. Those that take the attitude not to then so be it. For me it's a matter of pride and ethic. Happiness at a job is not correlated to the amount of money one makes, at least not in my case. I was making close to $40/hour when I break my old salary down to an hourly rate, but the headaches and unhappiness it cause me on a daily basis just wasn't worth it. I'm happier now then when I was making a nice salary and for me that is where I place value. From some of the post though it appears Target needs to address training/pay/work load issues as many have commented on it. I'll keep that in mind in the future.. Again I appreciate the brutal honesty.

First, no one person can make a significant or meaningful difference to the bottom line of any Target store and especially to Target's company bottom line. I work in a store that averages $100,000 or more per day before the holiday season. To move the needle 1% would require me to add $1000 each day. How much extra do you think you are adding compared to the average employee? How much extra do you think your zoning is worth or your pulls are worth? How much extra do you think your suggestive selling or salesmanship is really adding? Most customers come into Target with a specific shopping list and do not speak to a team member - they can shop and find everything without needing help.

Second, I have a level of work ethic that I do not drop below. Even as a teenager, I had a higher level of worth ethic than the average teenager. I am not a slacker or someone that takes super long paid breaks. But that doesn't mean I am going to bust my ass and go above and beyond. Why? Because Target and specifically the managers/leaders do not care, appreciate it, or even will acknowledge it. Also, I get nothing for it. Other companies will pay their employees bonuses or commissions for certain tasks. Does Target pay an extra bonus for each red card someone gets? How about pay an extra bonus for each warranty someone sells?

Target pays completely based on attendance. If you are physically there, you get paid.

Third, I am glad you are happier now. I wonder how long that will last.

You went from making close to $40 per hour as a manager which equates to about $1600 per week or about $80,000 per year to now making a minimum wage of $13 per hour (or higher if your state requires higher) as a part-timer. Your old job's pay would be higher if you were forced to work over 40 hours per week.

Even if Target gave you 40 hours per week every week, the best you could do is $520 per week or $27,040.

You may be happier at Target but will you be happier in life making a third of your previous pay check. Will you be happier not having money to do the things in your personal life that you previously could at your old job.

Sbrando7 I don't doubt your work ethic or effort. I'm sure go to work everyday and give it your best effort. Your right in that no amount of hard work/zoning/pulls/add on selling, etc could add an extra $1000 or 1% to your stores bottom line. However, what if your efforts could add just $100 a day? And what if the other 30 or more TM's each day added the same, now we're talking an additional $3000 or 3% increase. Just food for thought. As far as happiness goes, that for each person to discover and sort out.. It's different for everyone based on where they are in life and what that have and what they want both financially and emotionally. I'm lucky enough to have invested wisely over the years and to have a wife that can basically support both of us and we enjoy one hell of a life. Whether one makes $80,000 a year or $27000 a year or $15,000 a year I'd like to think each person gives it their all everyday, and not just serve their company to a level they perceive their worth is or based on what they make.

At Target prices, $100 above and beyond what your coworkers would manage is damned difficult. Only time I think I might have managed that was theft recoveries or whatever they were called, and that was a rare day. And then Target started demolishing that success by not allowing clothing count and ended with no fitting room attendant at all watching the rooms.

Back