New Hire rant (concern!!)

Lol

I got hired as a Seasonal General Merchandise Expert and I already had doubts about this job due to my fear of change. I am an anxious person and I feel like they are always making changes last minute, for example, they rescheduled my 2nd interview when I was already there and then rescheduled my orientation 30 minutes before the time I was supposed to be scheduled for. Plus orientation was very vague no important information was given. I didn’t even get my name tag nor was told where to clock in, was not told where to put my stuff when i clock in or anything of that matter. They also scheduled me two full shifts to train on the register when I’m supposed to be in general merchandise. I think one full shift is enough. I’m very unimpressed on how they handle the new hire process. I feel like I’m not going to enjoy working there because of their lack of organization. I don’t even know who to go to on my first training day. I’m getting very anxious about this job that I didn’t eat anything at all and passed out.

Stay calm. Take a deep breath. When go to spot, go to guest services. Say the following, hi! My name is mermaid, this is my first day at spot.

I got hired as a Seasonal General Merchandise Expert and I already had doubts about this job due to my fear of change. I am an anxious person and I feel like they are always making changes last minute, for example, they rescheduled my 2nd interview when I was already there and then rescheduled my orientation 30 minutes before the time I was supposed to be scheduled for. Plus orientation was very vague no important information was given. I didn’t even get my name tag nor was told where to clock in, was not told where to put my stuff when i clock in or anything of that matter. They also scheduled me two full shifts to train on the register when I’m supposed to be in general merchandise. I think one full shift is enough. I’m very unimpressed on how they handle the new hire process. I feel like I’m not going to enjoy working there because of their lack of organization. I don’t even know who to go to on my first training day. I’m getting very anxious about this job that I didn’t eat anything at all and passed out.
Everyone starts out training on the register because you will hear calls on the walkie all day to go help out when the checkout line is backing up. You will have to take a turn or two and drop whatever it is you are doing and go to a register to check guests out. Same when they need help to go outside and get carts.
All kinds of unexpected situations come up daily so maybe it’s not unorganized rather prioritized. Something more important And unexpected came in to play I’m sure.

Everyone starts out training on the register because you will hear calls on the walkie all day to go help out when the checkout line is backing up. You will have to take a turn or two and drop whatever it is you are doing and go to a register to check guests out. Same when they need help to go outside and get carts.
All kinds of unexpected situations come up daily so maybe it’s not unorganized rather prioritized. Something more important And unexpected came in to play I’m sure.
Do they call a specific person to go help on the register? Does everyone get a turn on the register? Or they just call and whoever gets there does it? I work at Home Depot and we don’t do that. They call for backup cashiers and no one ever shows up. We end up winging it and Head Cashiers come in to help or rarely other floor associates

Just think being trained on a register is just one more oppurtunity to be kept long term past your seasonal date. They tell you during your interview that you will be asked to handle a register and possible train in other areas of the store. Its a very demanding job and most of the stuff you listed as a concern will be dealt with early in your training schedule. You should have been told who your trainer is at orientation but if not they will let you know when you get there. Orientation itself is really a joke of a shift but hey atleast you get to know your hr team member or hr etl depending on who ran orientation so you know who to ask questions too. Good luck spot is all about routines and it will not be as overwhelming of a learning curve as it may seem but like i said it will be pretty demanding.

As an old co-worker buddy from Cairo, Egypt used to say "swim with the waves." Relax. It's easy shit. Just ask the questions the folks here suggested, they know. The Captain knows. Cherish the moment they say "we're going to take you to the back room for some compacter and baler training." Two best gigs in the building. Doing carts is ok too. Wear comfortable shoes and don't sweat the small stuff, nobody else does.

Do they call a specific person to go help on the register? Does everyone get a turn on the register? Or they just call and whoever gets there does it? I work at Home Depot and we don’t do that. They call for backup cashiers and no one ever shows up. We end up winging it and Head Cashiers come in to help or rarely other floor associates
Do they call a specific person to go help on the register? Sometimes, yes they do.
Does everyone get a turn on the register? Not necessarily.
Or they just call and whoever gets there does it? Sometimes, that happens too.

And as a former Home Depot veteran myself, I know what you mean.

as someone w anxiety, when i started

i cried a lot

like, a lot

so u kinda jus deal w it or dip

i still cry but im mostly angry at everyone and everything

as someone w anxiety, when i started

i cried a lot

like, a lot

so u kinda jus deal w it or dip

i still cry but im mostly angry at everyone and everything
I am scared that customers will get mad at me for not knowing what I’m doing! I haven’t been working at my other job (cashier at Home Depot) in like a month. So I’m kinda nervous to be interacting with customers again.

Nobody knows what they're doing at first. Communication is pretty bad at my store, at least. "I need direction" is a phrase I use pretty often, and I've been here forever. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Lol, you'll have some choice words for a few guests soon and won't feel bad for being a little slow checking them out:p. The key to doing any job well at Target, in my opinion, is communication! You should expect to respond for backup up front often. Personally, the farther I am physically from the checklanes, the longer I wait to respond. I count to 8 in my head, and if nobody has responded, then I always do.

Don't let any job affect your mental health. If you don't think you could take things the way they are right now for a few months, you certainly shouldn't stay through Q4. Especially this year, it will be hell

Also sometimes the orientation schedules don't align with the actual schedules because those are made 2 weeks prior and sometimes they have to give you open shifts for whatever until they write the new schedule with GM shifts. They are trying to give you hours until you can actually be scheduled GM if that makes sense. And yes, a lot of the new TMs get 1-2 cashier shifts before they are switched over to their official work center.

I have been with Spot for so long that I still have occasional questions about cashiering especially when you don’t do it so often. Take advantage of the training. Don’t worry they are not going to let you out on the wild just like that. You and the other new employees would practice and you will eventually get comfortable. Also, you can turn on the light to blink when you need help. The GSTL can assist you. My usual biggest anxiety is taking the security stuff out (we have a variety) but I do ask for help when I don’t know how to do it. But of course I will try to make sure to remember how to do it next time.
Do I answer when they call for back up? Sometimes, I am not going to lie I wait for those people who loves to go and back up. Will it affect me, maybe...Especially when it comes to your review. If you don’t back up as much they can put that on your review and may impact your score.
If I know a few people have gone up, I will go ahead and volunteer to back up.
Yes, sometimes you get called to go back up your leader.
But with modernization, things have changed. We don’t get called as much compare from years ago.

Based on my experience, the new employees tend to get stressed out on their first week. It’s normal. I usually tell them to do their best and it’s not going to be perfect . When I come in for my shift especially for closing, I ask my lead what is the plan/priority because a lot of of things happened throughout the day. You have to work smart. I like to look at the department I am assigned in. Since I am in Style, the front of the department is important and also the wall because that’s what people visually see right away. So I have to make sure it looks ready for tomorrow.

Back