Archived New in Flex and I hate it - can I switch departments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm two shifts into flex and want to switch departments. Will they let me? Who should I talk to?

Hello....Newman......

Sorry, couldn't help myself!!

Not all stores are the same, but so here's what I can tell you from my experience. When I was first hired I worked in Plano and realized pretty quickly that it wasn't for me. But when I spoke with HR they said I needed to finish my 90 days before I could switch. I ended up in that position for about a year because as I learned more I liked it better. I also really liked the team. But, it's a hard job physically and I knew I needed to move out of it. Fortunately that time it worked out.

But I have heard here of people moving in their 90 days so you might as well try. Also, welcome aboard!

Thanks for responding. I'm looking to get into a department with less stress. Maybe grocery.

Thanks for responding. I'm looking to get into a department with less stress. Maybe grocery.
As others said, all stores are not the same, but the very first thing you do should be to talk to your immediate leaders. That means whoever trained you, or whoever is in charge of flex at your store. If you can't find that person, try to speak with anyone on the leadership team you're able to. Let them know how you're feeling, there might be things they can do to help ease some of the things you hate about the position, in the offchance you can't find a way to switch right away. Definitely speak to your ETL HR in addition to this, to investigate your chances of moving workcenters. While it is true all stores are not the same, most leaders you speak to should have a vested interest in helping you be a part of the workcenter you're happiest being in. So don't be afraid to ask them about this!

Also, I've edited to add that market (grocery) has been a stressful position for many people as well. There are time limits on certain tasks (refrigerated/frozen pallets) and at many stores leadership micromanages them to a greater degree than the rest of the salesfloor. But as ever, your store may not be like this, so do still look into it if it appears it would be a good workcenter at your own store!

1. After working 2 shifts, there is no way I would let you change departments. They hired you for flex, because that is where they needed you.

2. Market is stressful.

3. Speak with your leaders about why it is stressful. Ask for more training if you need it.

I'll stick it out until my 90 days.

What's the least stressful workcenter regarding time restraints?

To each his/her own, but flex is one my favorite work centers, right behind cash office and price change.

No work center is going to be 100% stress-free, and all of them are going to have their cons--picking RTW items in flex is the biggest con for me.

As others have said, you need to give it way more than 2 shifts to decide whether any job is right for you. If you're still feeling this way after 60 days, then maybe speak to your TL or HR about it and ask if there are other areas of need once you're 90 days are up. When you have that conversation, try to make it about what's good for the store and not just about what you want to do.

As others have said, it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to transfer out so soon. There was a need for flex, so they hired and trained you for flex. Your best option is to is to ask your leader to print the learning plan for flex. Bring that with you everyday for your first 2 weeks. Make sure your trainer is going over everything. After those 2 weeks, if you're still feeling uncomfortable, sit down with your ETL to create a performance development plan. Let them know how you're feeling and that you want to improve. If after 90 days it's still not clicking, then go back and ask for that transfer. Just know that it may not happen right away. You may need to wait until they hire someone new and they're comfortable in the role before they transfer you out.

Going back to one of your other points: the only position without time constraints is cashier. All salesfloor has to push, zone, pickup, etc. within a certain time frame. All backroom has to pull batches by a certain time. Unload has to get the truck unloaded and sorted/pushed by a certain time. Starbucks has to get drinks done quickly, cart attendants are running back and forth to get more carts and help with carryout, etc.

I'll stick it out until my 90 days.

What's the least stressful workcenter regarding time restraints?

If your stressed give it a month.... That's about how long it took my last group of new hires to start meeting my time goals. If your struggling with anything talk to your team lead or flex team members. They want you to succeed and improve so they might be able to offer you some tips that work at your store.

SFS takes time to get used to. You'll become faster at picking as you get to know the store better so the stress won't be as much. Good communication also helps. Asking to change workcenters almost immediately after being hired won't reflect well on you.

I'm two shifts into flex and want to switch departments. Will they let me? Who should I talk to?
Why is it stressful ? Flex fill is probably the easiest task. And if you gonna tell me softlines is killing you then you didn’t get the proper training . Keep in mind my store has an off-site , so my opu members have to go an extra step to find the items . They don’t find it stressful , they have 20 minutes to pick the items , after 20 minutes has passed and they can’t find it , they come to me ,I’m their TL and I take over . As for softlines you have an rfid gun so it shouldn’t be harder but in fact easier.

There’s major changes all over the place. It’s all stressful.

Learn where things are in your store. Then you’ll move faster with time goals.

flex sucks when it comes to stuff in apparel that is what slows you down the most... im not sure if you can switch departments but if they really need other people in other departments and your leads are super nice they will or just do it all 90 days and then switch but ask hr to possiblly switch I mean im sure there hiring in other departments!

price change is cool i mean the only part that is stressful is the labels part when you scan labels and change the price of products but ticketing is fun!

OMG LOL NO DONT SWITCH TO GROCERY LOL THATS EVEN WORSE than any other department!
I worked SFS/OPU and it sucked, but I also saw what my friends went through in market, and it’s a lot worse. Working in the freezer is no picnic, market is always overloaded and understaffed, they have to worry about expired product, Steritech visits, cleaning, donations, vendors, cross contamination, guest service, and back stocking. There’s never enough time to finish everything, and to top it all off, market is always on the STL’s and DTL’s radar. Not a place I’d want to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back