New Merch Ops TL

I completely agree, majority of ETLs are outside hires that just don’t understand anything about Target & aren’t willing to learn from their more tenured TLs that are just trying to help. Meanwhile, they’ve had me be a TL for every department over the last 11 years & they won’t even let me try to interview for an etl spot 😅
It seems that at our store that open leadership positions are no longer posted. Successors are chosen, "trained", and put into place before anyone else even knows that there is an opening.

Some news today! My HR said we’re going to get about 300 some hours of payroll for Merch ops that doesn’t include presentation hours. My hours will also be in that but that’ll give us a small idea of how many people we’ll have for the team. We’re between a low volume & base volume store.

Some news today! My HR said we’re going to get about 300 some hours of payroll for Merch ops that doesn’t include presentation hours. My hours will also be in that but that’ll give us a small idea of how many people we’ll have for the team. We’re between a low volume & base volume store.

Any idea where they got that figure from? What did you do for sales volume FY22?

So, 40 hours for you? 40 hours for Receiving?

That leaves 220.

That leaves 220.
Yep, we have 2 TMs for pricing right now that each do 40 hours, so about 140 between backroom team & findability. This is just for my store, we barely did $40mil last year for reference. Our receiver typically never spends his whole 40 there, he helps everywhere in the store so when he doesn’t need to be in receiving I’m sure he’ll switch over & do other things.

That leaves 220.
Yep, we have 2 TMs for pricing right now that each do 40 hours, so about 140 split between backroom & findability. This is just for my store though which barely did $40mil last year. Our receiver also never spends his whole 40 there so I’m sure I’ll have him help in other depts when it’s needed.

They got it from our HRBP, we’re a low volume store. We barely made $40mil last year
Probably a long shot but any idea how many hours it'll go up for higher volume? I wasn't sure if you just had the number for your store or they sent over a chart of sorts.

Probably a long shot but any idea how many hours it'll go up for higher volume? I wasn't sure if you just had the number for your store or they sent over a chart of sorts.
I truly don’t know, it was like pulling teeth to get this number so I’d have a general idea. She said we will definitely know feb 20th since they write the schedule for the week it launches but how am I supposed to decide who will get those hours & train them if I won’t know until they’re already on the schedule 😅😅

300 not including Presentation sounds reasonable. If that were including Presentation hours that would be rough.

Does this mean you have to cover all the receiver responsibilities? Our store has been without one for several months maybe this is why.

Makes me wonder if that will be the hours when they roll this out to all stores fully or if they are propping up the pilot with more hours than what there will be eventually.

Makes me wonder if that will be the hours when they roll this out to all stores fully or if they are propping up the pilot with more hours than what there will be eventually.
Not sure, Monday is when we write the first schedule for this roll out so I’ll be able to give the actual breakdown of what we’re doing based on what we’re given.

Not sure, Monday is when we write the first schedule for this roll out so I’ll be able to give the actual breakdown of what we’re doing based on what we’re given.
Any update on what this is looking like for you guys?

Any update on what this is looking like for you guys?
I wish I could say, we have inventory this week so any talk about the pilot has been put on the back burner. I should’ve found out yesterday but all of the ETLs were in a meeting all day & didn’t talk to me so maybe I’ll bug my hr tomorrow about it. I’m getting stressed because my execs & sd don’t seem to care that I need to know what’s going on to make it successful 😅

It's always been the case plano workload hours do not account for pulling, pushing, updating counts, or backstocking. The hours are only allotted for setting. Hours are not always accurate though and a lot of the time a pog can be set in less time it is given so doing the rest of those things is easier to fit in. But- that only works if you have people who know the work REALLY REALLY well; TMs new to setting will not be able to accomplish this with any finesse and hence, don't have time for that.

I tried to find that in writing on workbench because there's some disagreements on that at my store. Does anyone know where I can find it?

I was thinking along these lines too. Back in the day with these process teams we had (roughly):
2-3 people for Price Change
4-5 people for Presentation
2-3 people for In Stocks
3-4 people for Backroom
1 receiver

Plano tended to be the most versatile, being trained in Price Change, In Stocks, and Backroom because that's where they'd end up when their workload was light depending on the time of year.

A team of 6 or so will not be able to handle weeks like this week for example where there is almost 5000 markdowns in Style alone, the entire cosmetics area is resetting, transition is coming in heavy for skincare/haircare, in addition to all the regular daily audit tasks.
We ve got 1-2 tm s for this. They think they ve hit the jackpot for recognition. Sad. They ll quit in 3 months for sure.

I tried to find that in writing on workbench because there's some disagreements on that at my store. Does anyone know where I can find it?
Those of us with habits of accuracy and efficiency don't get a nod back onto plano. It's too old school. Now...just throw that sh#$^ up whether the set is correct or not. Let the next tm who comes along deal with it. Target has a Pathetic work environment. Hybrid sweat shop. 😓

I’m about a month in & wanted to provide some updates. I loved the idea of these teams but it is hard to execute. My daily grid looks like this: 3 presentation (4am-1230pm), 1 pricing (6-230), 1 receiver who also has to be my back stocker (6-1230), 1 back stocker but usually ends in pricing (1230-7), 2 priority pulls (7pm-11pm) & then me. I usually have to audits, rfid & backroom profiling since no one else has time.

That is more or less in line with how it is in my store as well. Definitely extremely challenging to execute consistently. Especially since they won't let this obsession with 95% PF goal go. If we kept it at 70, those evening fillers could do other things (backroom organization, pricing, findability tasks, etc.)

(As a side, everyone I try to train on instocks can't see inventory audit in myDay. Doesn't matter what they change their area to.)

Back