MEGATHREAD New POS

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I’m saying corporate should redo it and have all stores switch the funds in self checkouts weekly instead of daily. Those things are vaults only way to get in is with the keys. We have 16 self checkouts. It takes like 45 minutes for a team member to close 8 of them. That’s 1.5 hours for all of them each night.

Y'all are slow. Sometimes, I time myself. I can easily close a SCO in under 2 minutes. That includes opening and closing the machine. I'm not even the fastest.

How do you comp somebody a gift card on new POS? What about taking fiddly coupons? I'm not sending people back through the store to get one more dollar of stuff, rejecting good or "close enough" coupons, etc.

Had to train somebody to close lanes last night and to my surprise, we were on new POS. I wasn't sure I had closed them properly (did banking > start funds) and swapped the cash out, which seemed like the only option.

Last edited:
The part that has bugged me the most is that there is no longer an option to manually enter card numbers.

Half of Target Debit cards chips don’t work, and then the guest just gets mad when there isn’t an option past using the chip. On the old system you can prompt them to enter the card number, as far as I know on the new one that isn’t an option anymore. (If it is please let me know, when do credit or split payment it just prompts the amount and doesn’t give a manual entry option).

How do you comp somebody a gift card on new POS? What about taking fiddly coupons? I'm not sending people back through the store to get one more dollar of stuff, rejecting good or "close enough" coupons, etc.

Had to train somebody to close lanes last night and to my surprise, we were on new POS. I wasn't sure I had closed them properly (did banking > start funds) and swapped the cash out, which seemed like the only option.

Gift cards are in the guest service app, but also train the guest in the target circle app.

Coupons - change the price of that item and put the coupon in the drawer

You closed the registers correctly. Fun fact - your technically allowed to continue using them, even for cash. My store doesn't though. We put the empty bank bag on the keyboard so the cashiers know that one is "closed"

Y'all are slow. Sometimes, I time myself. I can easily close a SCO in under 2 minutes. That includes opening and closing the machine. I'm not even the fastest.
I know I'm exaggerating a little bit but it's to prove a point.

this thing you are suggesting leads to full & jammed cash acceptors and empty cash cassettes within a day or two. the system that exists now not only works fine it is in the best interest of team members and guests
IIt's not gonna jam more because you switch it out less. It rarely jams if put in right. Statistically speaking it would be more efficient.

it will jam because it will be full my dude
It's meant to be full. They wouldn't design it to be filled all the way if it's not able to actually be filled all the way.

IIt's not gonna jam more because you switch it out less. It rarely jams if put in right. Statistically speaking it would be more efficient.

How long have you been closing the SCOs? They can be finicky machines. Idk maybe mine are older then your stores

How long have you been closing the SCOs? They can be finicky machines. Idk maybe mine are older then your stores
A while. We have the automated ones like most stores. I can do each one in 3 minutes I just find it pointless doing it so often.

Idk I almost wonder if they wanted a delay between scans to prevent double scans for guests.. it happens way more times then team members think it does and guests are being overcharged. Some team members NEED to slow down and focus on accuracy before speed

Idk I almost wonder if they wanted a delay between scans to prevent double scans for guests.. it happens way more times then team members think it does and guests are being overcharged. Some team members NEED to slow down and focus on accuracy before speed
No need for the delay with hand scanner though, since it’s always one scan per trigger press

Then slow it down on SCO for guests and make it normal in checkout for TMs I guess
I get why it’s there don’t get me wrong but I feel like they should minimize the delay a little bit. With that said I talked to my front of the store TL and she said that the problem of double scanning without realizing happens more often then you’d think.

With that said I feel like the delay should ONLY occur to devices at check out. In places like GS and Electronics where it’s just the hand gun I think there should be no delay.

Target is a multibillion dollar company. They should be able to create a system that can scan fast enough. Cashiers shouldn’t have to wait because the computer isn’t fast enough. The old system only had the problem with not adding a items at the start of a transaction I believe. Team members shouldn’t need to focus on the system actually getting the item. If the system beeps when it’s scanned the cashier should put it in the bag not have to check the screen after scanning every item. Waste of time.

I get why it’s there don’t get me wrong but I feel like they should minimize the delay a little bit. With that said I talked to my front of the store TL and she said that the problem of double scanning without realizing happens more often then you’d think.

With that said I feel like the delay should ONLY occur to devices at check out. In places like GS and Electronics where it’s just the hand gun I think there should be no delay.
If it’s a different item there shouldn’t be a delay for the normal scanners. If it’s the same item it should wait a second or two before beeping and adding the item to make sure it’s not getting scanned twice if that makes sense. The hand scanners shouldn’t have a delay.

So when a team member scans a item it checks if the upc is the same as the previous item and if so it waits 1.5 seconds then tries scanning again. Obviously nothing would turn off but the system just wouldn’t beep or add the item for 1.5 seconds to make sure it’s not a double scan.

Last edited:
I’m sure they will make improvements but completely removing the delay I honestly don’t think will ever be in the cards as there are many issues with that as discussed. As the system rolls out there will be refinements but honestly I think they are on the right track.

The New POS is not going to be a carbon copy of the old system with new UI because honestly there is a lot of flaws with the way the old system did things. If there are things they can do to eliminate mistakes by either cashier or system error they are going to do that.

I think none of it comes down to the hardware being slow or poor programming of the software.. it’s seems like very intentional design decisions which will be refined as time goes on.

If it’s a different item there shouldn’t be a delay for the normal scanners. If it’s the same item it should wait a second or two before beeping and adding the item to make sure it’s not getting scanned twice if that makes sense. The hand scanners shouldn’t have a delay.

So when a team member scans a item it checks if the upc is the same as the previous item and if so it waits 1.5 seconds then tries scanning again. Obviously nothing would turn off but the system just wouldn’t beep or add the item for 1.5 seconds to make sure it’s not a double scan.
The problem with this is no matter what the scanner sees as long as it’s active and it’s a barcode it scans and beeps THEN puts it in the POS it doesn’t think “oh they just added this item maybe it’s a double” it cannot do that. It’s just how the scanners work. Scanners are the same input as a keyboard.

The problem with this is no matter what the scanner sees as long as it’s active and it’s a barcode it scans and beeps THEN puts it in the POS it doesn’t think “oh they just added this item maybe it’s a double” it cannot do that. It’s just how the scanners work. Scanners are the same input as a keyboard.
No the scanners are smart. Ours out at least. They have a micro computer in them that can be reprogrammed by the computer. I think they can edit that.

No the scanners are smart. Ours out at least. They have a micro computer in them that can be reprogrammed by the computer. I think they can edit that.
Yeah— when you scan while pos is loading, the scanner makes a diff sound... it knows what’s going on I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back