MEGATHREAD New POS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m at a test store so we always get the new stuff. We have had like 5 remodels for driveups already. We got those new scales but I don’t like them. The computers can’t handle them and are crashing. They look very nice but the self checkouts don’t have enough ram or cpu to power them so the self checkouts are randomly shutting down. The old scanners had a raspberry pi built into them or some other micro computer compared to these zebra scanners that just use the computers ram and cpu causing the computers to crash. You guys will notice it eventually because the ram is gonna die quicker and the computers will randomly crash more and more often. They look nice tho. I think target is trying to stop using ncr . They are now making their own systems and doing everything on their own. I think it’s a stupid idea personally but we will see I guess. They will probably make it so mycheckouts can connect to a scale for all the super targets.
So on the new registers if you tap the corners starting from the top left and going clockwise a menu will popup (the way I remember it is you tap in the shape of a U). if you click on information it shows you the how versions and memory data. With that said the register I used had about 17 gigs of ram from what I remember. If Zebra scanners use even more than 5 gigs of ram that's going to be crazy.

So on the new registers if you tap the corners starting from the top left and going clockwise a menu will popup (the way I remember it is you tap in the shape of a U). if you click on information it shows you the how versions and memory data. With that said the register I used had about 17 gigs of ram from what I remember. If Zebra scanners use even more than 5 gigs of ram that's going to be crazy.
I know about that but I can’t do that on the self checkouts. Our main registers still use the NCR scales. All our self checkouts make so much noise and take so long to restart. They also are randomly crashing. Like the whole system will just turn off on it’s own. There is also a glitch where it won’t be able to detect certain devices like change acceptors so you have to do a the special restart. I can’t remember what it’s called but it’s under that technician access area. Device discovery? I will try to figure out how much ram it’s using cuz it’s randomly powering off and is unable to find devices which means it’s not able to process enough and control all the devices which is the ram and partly processor.

My store is getting an entire overhaul and they’re probably going to switch over to those and honestly imho they’re so ugly compared to the big old ones
The smaller sign puts less emphasis on the lanes and causes people to go to self-checkouts. I like the smaller ones though it looks nicer.

The smaller sign puts less emphasis on the lanes and causes people to go to self-checkouts. I like the smaller ones though it looks nicer.
At my store we have about 4 checkout lanes but I always hear different numbers we’re gonna have 8-16 self checkout lanes. Also question for you. Does your store still use the old POS on the self checkout?

At my store we have about 4 checkout lanes but I always hear different numbers we’re gonna have 8-16 self checkout lanes. Also question for you. Does your store still use the old POS on the self checkout?
Yes, we still use the old system at our self-checkouts. I don't think the computers could power the new system it's also way slower. We got 16 check lanes and 16 self-checkouts. We also got 5 mycheckouts but normally only use 1 at our busy self-checkout side. At our busiest time during Q4 we will have 2 people at self-checkouts on both sides (4 total). All lanes are used and 3 mycheckouts.

The fact that new POS doesn’t log out immediately (or within a very short time) after finishing a transaction is annoying in electronics. Have to remember to hit log out each time before leaving the boat. Also, why doesn’t the checkout app launch automatically when logging in? Is there a way to set it to do this?

Reactions: DBZ
Sorry didn’t read the any of the post but, did anyone mention POS=Piece Of Shit?, just throwing it out there.

Something I’ve noticed is the new registers to not print a DO NOT SELL slip when something is wrong. I was selling this unlocked phone today and when I scanned the UPC it said to scan the activation. Looking at it there is no activation since it is an unlocked phone the only other barcode is the IMEI which isn’t the activator. I scan it to see if it would work and it printed a do not sell but when I did it on the new POS it would have sold it perfectly. Don’t think that this is good.

Something I’ve noticed is the new registers to not print a DO NOT SELL slip when something is wrong. I was selling this unlocked phone today and when I scanned the UPC it said to scan the activation. Looking at it there is no activation since it is an unlocked phone the only other barcode is the IMEI which isn’t the activator. I scan it to see if it would work and it printed a do not sell but when I did it on the new POS it would have sold it perfectly. Don’t think that this is good.
I know for some items it says like do not sell or prints something I believe.

The DO NOT SELL is for recalls or street dated items.

The issue with the phone is a bug. I've also had it happen with a Fitbit. If you took that phone to a register with the old POS, it would have rang up just fine. Actually, with the Fitbit, it was asking for a serial #, but the system wouldn't recognize it. I remember the old POS, having a hair dryer or curling iron asking for a serial # and it didn't have one. The only difference was that a person with supervisor numbers could override these things.

The DO NOT SELL is for recalls or street dated items.

The issue with the phone is a bug. I've also had it happen with a Fitbit. If you took that phone to a register with the old POS, it would have rang up just fine. Actually, with the Fitbit, it was asking for a serial #, but the system wouldn't recognize it. I remember the old POS, having a hair dryer or curling iron asking for a serial # and it didn't have one. The only difference was that a person with supervisor numbers could override these things.
I don’t think it’s just that. I think before for activated things like gift cards and phones it checked it but on the new system it ignores it. Because I’ve had gift cards come up as invalid because of that.

I don’t think it’s just that. I think before for activated things like gift cards and phones it checked it but on the new system it ignores it. Because I’ve had gift cards come up as invalid because of that.

Make sure you are scanning the upc barcode before the activation. Also, sometimes gift cards get pulled from the floor for various reasons. If there are any of those left, they will produce an error.

Make sure you are scanning the upc barcode before the activation. Also, sometimes gift cards get pulled from the floor for various reasons. If there are any of those left, they will produce an error.
Any way I did it for the gift card it would either say invalid or say DO NOT SELL. This is usually with the prepaid phone card though to be fair and sometimes the Xbox cards

Is there a way to override serial number like old POS had? Every so often there will be a TV with a destroyed label rendering the serial number unreadable. If not, what’s the best way to process it?

Is there a way to override serial number like old POS had? Every so often there will be a TV with a destroyed label rendering the serial number unreadable. If not, what’s the best way to process it?
Bring it to guest services they have the old system. They should add a bypass soon I would think. DO NOT mark it as a no barcode however.

Reactions: DBZ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back