Archived New Red Card rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a GSA who kept giving major discounts to get a RC.....he'd give guests $30.00 to get a card when their bill was something like $70.00. He gave away free Starbucks drinks like there was no tomorrow. I've seen him at Starbucks and have a family of two adults and three children come by and then five minutes later see all five people with a beverage...and hear him say "I got a Redcard."

The guest comments on our surveys reflected that this GSA was harassing guests and that the GSA would try to offer a guest a large discount to sign up and this particular guest was very specific as to who the TM was that was harassing them. I think that once our store leadership had such comments then they had very little choice but to watch this GSA. This GSA's practices were boarding on unethical. Anyway....

After the start of the new fiscal year they printed up a list of how many RCs each TM got....this GSA had 250!
Someone else had 125. Most of us were pretty OK.

This same GSA has gotten close to 20 cards in the past three weeks.

While several TMs from the front end have talked to HR and STL we've been waiting to see how long this would continue....well.....FINALLY they fired him this weekend.

Now I am sure that our front end TMs will be feeling better knowing that this GSA has been disciplined.

However, I'm sure that since review time is coming soon that all the TMs who complained about this GSA will be watched VERY CAREFULLY for any problems. Anything that the leadership can find they will and then work to performance out those of us who spoke to HR or STL. So, it is time to make sure that we are never late to clock in, don't call off or call with an excuse about being late, no compliance issues....and get RCs each shift....or we'll be on corrective action before you can say...."would you like to save fi....."!!

Last edited:
We had a GSA who kept giving major discounts to get a RC.....he'd give guests $30.00 to get a card when their bill was something like $70.00. He gave away free Starbucks drinks like there was no tomorrow. I've seen him at Starbucks and have a family of two adults and three children come by and then five minutes later see all five people with a beverage...and hear him say "I got a Redcard."

The guest comments on our surveys reflected that this GSA was harassing guests and that the GSA would try to offer a guest a large discount to sign up and this particular guest was very specific as to who the TM was that was harassing them. I think that once our store leadership had such comments then they had very little choice but to watch this GSA. This GSA's practices were boarding on unethical. Anyway....

After the start of the new fiscal year they printed up a list of how many RCs each TM got....this GSA had 250!
Someone else had 125. Most of us were pretty OK...I had 65 cards and I was about #7 on our list for number of RCs.

This same GSA has gotten close to 20 cards in the past three weeks.

While several TMs from the front end have talked to HR and STL we've been waiting to see how long this would continue....well.....FINALLY they fired him this weekend.

Now I am sure that our front end TMs will be feeling better knowing that this GSA has been disciplined.

However, I'm sure that since review time is coming soon that all the TMs who complained about this GSA will be watched VERY CAREFULLY for any problems. Anything that the leadership can find they will and then work to performance out those of us who spoke to HR or STL. So, it is time to make sure that we are never late to clock in, don't call off or call with an excuse about being late, no compliance issues....and get RCs each shift....or we'll be on corrective action before you can say...."would you like to save fi....."!!

There's the rub.
The GSA was breaking the rules and had to be fired but you know when they see the red card numbers start dropping they are going to look for someone to blame.
The fact that the numbers were being reached by fraud will mean nothing, they will be angry that it was taken away and rather than accept the drop they will try to make someone pay.

Today my GSTL said she was coached, yes coached, by the STL because our weekly goal shot up 30+ more REDcards than it was just a month ago, and of course we haven't been meeting it. Of course, this is the GSTL's fault. Every time a cashier is heard not asking about the card, it will be documented and coachings/write-ups will be issued. This is what it has come to, now. Who cares about guest experience, or whether our shelves are stocked with product? Surveys don't even matter anymore. Our LODs openly tear up the guest comment cards. It's all about REDcards. REDcards, REDcards, REDcards.

OK, I may be wrong, but my guess is that the GSTL was not coached but is looking for a way to gain support from the team. If you feel bad for the poor widdle GSTL, then you'll work harder and she will get the praise for motivating her team.

Hey, we all use what we can to motivate our team, right?

sigh

Prompts gone. We need 21 week. The ETL's practically where cheerleaders! Thing that pisses me off is you can tell people all the time but when they walk right up to quest service it's not you who gets credit

OK, I may be wrong, but my guess is that the GSTL was not coached but is looking for a way to gain support from the team. If you feel bad for the poor widdle GSTL, then you'll work harder and she will get the praise for motivating her team.

Hey, we all use what we can to motivate our team, right?

sigh
I'm a gstl and have been coached for my cashiers not getting redcards. My ETL wants me to send an email each week of who I am recognizing and who I am coaching and have all coachings on her desk by Friday. If I don't do that, I will be coached, and "further corrective action" may occur if necessary.

I'm a gstl and have been coached for my cashiers not getting redcards. My ETL wants me to send an email each week of who I am recognizing and who I am coaching and have all coachings on her desk by Friday. If I don't do that, I will be coached, and "further corrective action" may occur if necessary.
from what i've heard if you have documentation you are addressing the issue, you can't be coached for your performance in your team not meeting goals. i started as a cashier, so i see where more coachings are going on from where i started.

our goal in the summer is going to be 70. we were averaging 30 with conversion.

The other day our SrTL asked what would be a good way to motivate cashiers to get RedCards. My answer was, that it doesn't matter what we get....if we can't get the guests to say "yes" then who cares?

We've got a little motivation sign in our TSC that says that the average RC guest makes an average of 22 more visits a year than non-RedCard users......22 more trips? Well, if it is that important and guests spend so much more, then why did my store stop using $5.00 gift cards as rewards (for TMs) for getting a guest to get a RC??

Our penetration rate is staying steady at 28%. I know that the 100% penetration rate is what they really would love, but does anyone have any idea what a realistic penetration rate is?

Honestly I have never seen anything higher than like, 30-35% penetration, and I think that's actually really good. If this were a simple store loyalty card, those numbers would be abysmal, but we're talking about a payment card here. That's 30-35% of your guests giving consent to give all their personal info for a money card, then consenting to regularly using that card & making a conscious effort to switch over from their Visas and their AmExs. I think it's a lot more work than a simple store loyalty card. Especially after the damage the breach did. If corp expects better than that, they're kidding themselves.

The penetration rate at my store is right around 27% and has never peaked 30%. I asked my etl how we would determine who was "green" for the week since there is no longer a metric. I said 1 app for every 100 transactions. She said 2/100. We compromised at 1/75 which is insane to me.

The penetration rate at my store is right around 27% and has never peaked 30%. I asked my etl how we would determine who was "green" for the week since there is no longer a metric. I said 1 app for every 100 transactions. She said 2/100. We compromised at 1/75 which is insane to me.

Wow mines is your green if your over more than 7 RCs for the week. Hold my team accountable but also trying not to push so much pressure on them since i just lost 3 more team members to "stress" over red cards.

REDcards are literally the only reason I stress at work right now. Everything else is fine; our guest survey scores are great, the lanes are great, our cashiers are great, etc., but because we aren't green in REDcard conversion, I'm just tearing my hair out at this point.

We just accepted a transfer cashier and he started this week (I personally haven't met him yet). Apparently my ETL almost didn't take him because his availability is limited (nothing past 6 and off on Sundays), but rumor was his REDCard numbers are insane.

His first shift at our store, he got 10 REDs. Next day: 17. To put this in perspective, our weekly goal is 65. By himself, he got over 40% of our weekly goal in only 2 shifts.

Needless to say, my ETL is giving him whatever kinds of hours he wants now! Though why he's still at Target and not off selling rich people magic beans is beyond me.

That's what I'm thinking. I simply don't believe anyone is that good, at least not without toeing the line (if not just leaping over it)

Yeah, no. Every time I've seen a cashier getting obscene #s like that, there's usually a scam involved. We had a seasonal who'd sign her friends and family up multiple times, often on the same shift, and also lied to guests saying it was a loyalty card. Another was using fake checks and IDs. No legitimate cashier, even our best at getting REDcards, can get more than 5 in an 8-hour shift.

I have gotten 11 in one day I think. But that was bb - before breach - Back then I would average 5 to 6 a day or in that range.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the coaching goal is? I'm sure there is one, there is a goal for everything else. If so, maybe tm's should try not to get redcards so at least one goal can be met.

Target is so stupid. Coach tm's to death so that they either quit or hate working there. This way they can hire someone who knows less. It's not like they will be paying new tm's any less, because minimum is minimum.

Yeah, that'll last until they find out exactly how he's putting up those numbers....
That's what I'm thinking. I simply don't believe anyone is that good, at least not without toeing the line (if not just leaping over it)

Trust me, those were my thoughts as well. Again, haven't met the guy. But my fellow GSTLs/GSAs tell me his conversations are legit and that he tells all the guests right off the bat it's a credit and/or debit card.

We're also the third store he's been at so far with the company. One would think if anything shady was up he would never have made it to us.

We had one cashier who was that good and it was basically just using old fashioned sales techniques. This person just so happened to be a former used car salesman. Unfortunately our ETL-GE decided to performance this person out for personal reasons and our red card totals have flopped ever since.

We had one cashier who was that good and it was basically just using old fashioned sales techniques. This person just so happened to be a former used car salesman. Unfortunately our ETL-GE decided to performance this person out for personal reasons and our red card totals have flopped ever since.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back