Archived New Red Card rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can people say that redcards are hit of miss and that guests don't want them? I know it's hard and you aren't going to have people fall at your feet asking for one, well maybe once in a while).

Many cashiers at my store say it's all luck, but if it's all luck then why is it that most of the redcards are gotten by the better salespeople (cashiers)

It's all in your pitch, your knowledge of how the card works and how persuasive you can be. If you haven't gotten one in approximately 75 transactions then you need to revamp your pitch.
Don't you find it odd that only a few of the cashiers get the guests who want a REDCard? They must be really, really lucky. I hear that all the time. In reality, of course, it's because those cashiers have used the information we give them to perfect their spiel.

I use the "lucky" cashiers to train the "not so lucky" cashiers. Sometimes it works, but usually the "unlucky" cashiers go back to their same, ole "Do ya wanna save 5% today? OK." That never, ever works. You'd think they'd get tired of having me harp at them how to correctly sell a card. Guess not.

Last edited:
For me people are eager to sign up for the debit cards but there's catch ( I hear this one so many times) What a check? I do not have a check..... Who carries a check?? I do not have a check...... So many people do paperless so they use " debit cards" and never carry checks and they refuse to sign up for the redcards because they hate credit cards. You can't win.... Occasionally I am lucky and I have people who actually have a check but again it's a hit or miss really.

There is a high volume store in my district, that has a goal of 125 per week. We're a high AA volume, and we only have a 69/week goal. But, says my ETL-GE, our transactions are about 28% with a redcard. How much of that is true, I don't know.

For me people are eager to sign up for the debit cards but there's catch ( I hear this one so many times) What a check? I do not have a check..... Who carries a check?? I do not have a check...... So many people do paperless so they use " debit cards" and never carry checks and they refuse to sign up for the redcards because they hate credit cards. You can't win.... Occasionally I am lucky and I have people who actually have a check but again it's a hit or miss really.
When I see a Guest getting ready to write a check I say "how would you like to NEVER have to write a check for Target again and safe 5%?" I have gotten some people interested about the debt card atleast.

District sends us an updated chart every day with each store's weekly goal and how many applications they've gotten each day. It's really refreshing to see that we're not the only one's doing a piss poor job.

Same in my district. I think they believe we're "going to feel more accountability," but all it does is piss the stores off more about how ridiculous the push is.

Asking is one thing pushing, lying,begging is another ..they get nothing for getting them but a shout over the walkie they can't even hear ..LODs and TL should be required to get 5 a day after all they have the most hours.

Asking is one thing pushing, lying,begging is another ..they get nothing for getting them but a shout over the walkie they can't even hear ..LODs and TL should be required to get 5 a day after all they have the most hours.
I never understood that hollering over the walkie when someone gets a redcard (aka does their job). They might as well do it when Instocks finishes a task list or Backroom completes the CAFs on time...

I never understood that hollering over the walkie when someone gets a redcard (aka does their job). They might as well do it when Instocks finishes a task list or Backroom completes the CAFs on time...
I hate when the GSTL/GSA does that. I wait to tell them after the guest leaves and I get a free moment to say I got one than they just shout it. I don't want to embarrass the guest. When I watch the front for the GSA breaks and someone mentions they got a Redcard I wait for the guest to leave if they are still there than I in a calm normal tone say it over the walkie.

When I see a Guest getting ready to write a check I say "how would you like to NEVER have to write a check for Target again and safe 5%?" I have gotten some people interested about the debt card atleast.

This strat has worked well for me back in electronics. I generally suck at selling the credit card though.

I do not know how people get any. It seems every store has some sort if spiel they throw at you when you check out. So much so I do not even register what they are saying, just respond with no thanks, thanks for asking. I am suprised anybody even pays attention when you get same push everywhere you go.

I usually ask pretty plainly with straightforward info. Our store is a little weird on Red Cards. There's a lot of push and it's a big store but the local population isn't very big. So over the years we have been open, the red card counts are slowly diminishing as we continue to see the same guests over and over again. Typically, people in the first few hours are the usuals. The same people coming to buy new groceries or check the latest movie releases and so on. Our leadership is intent on the belief that people visiting the area from out of state will be one of our opportunities for new sign ups (We don't have any kind of attractions here, I should mention. Just people visiting family).

We had good cashiers who obviously were doing something great. Then they pressured down on those one or two stand outs and when the demand "requirement" became 15+ red cards per shift, they quickly cycled out and we were back to the entire store feeling the pressure. Most of them were able to achieve that by pressuring a guest to sign up the entire process of the checkout.

In another odd example... Our store team lead was once praising the red card prowess of a cashier who had been with us for a few weeks. He described how she was selling the card and he advised that if only everyone else would do the same, we would skyrocket to the top of the company for our scores. There was murmuring to be heard at the huddle. A friend leans in and says "That sounds a lot like tricking the guest." Another person says "So they're lying?" Our STL had just described our new cashier ringing someone up, just scanning a red card application and telling the guest it's like a Kroger Savings Card.

Who would just go ahead and provide their SSN and the like for a simple savings card? I'm not sure but apparently it was dozens of people over the course of weeks. She was let go for 'deceptively selling red cards'.

Me? I just do what i'm supposed to do. I get them every now and again but most of the time i'm just checking out kids.

the reason why you guys can't get red cards is because you aren't charming ur guest...
make them WANT it
u guys lack motivation. but with my quick tips you will be able to withstand the new rules of the red card.
here we go
---------------------------------------------------------------------
you: hi how are you?
guest: im goo
you: OMG! THIS SHIRT UR BUYING IS TOTALLY CUTE! how about I assist u to get 5% off eh ???
them: omg, u can do that?
you: duh! it's because ur my favorite guest! ;)
them: oh wow...
you: now all u need to do is sign all this stuff and u will be sent a card to get 5% off MORE THINGS! HOW AWESOME ISTHAT!!!!
them: that is pretty awesome. ur a good employee. wow. totally telling my friends to get a R-Card *hehe*
you: pce

the reason why you guys can't get red cards is because you aren't charming ur guest...
make them WANT it
u guys lack motivation. but with my quick tips you will be able to withstand the new rules of the red card.
here we go
you: OMG! THIS SHIRT UR BUYING IS TOTALLY CUTE! how about I assist u to get 5% off eh ???
you: now all u need to do is sign all this stuff and u will be sent a card to get 5% off MORE THINGS! HOW AWESOME ISTHAT!!!!
them: that is pretty awesome. ur a good employee. wow. totally telling my friends to get a R-Card *hehe*
Pretty much hit the nail on the head! :) You got to try to make the RC irresistible! :)

make them WANT it
here we go

zFXEQyM.jpg

There is a high volume store in my district, that has a goal of 125 per week. We're a high AA volume, and we only have a 69/week goal. But, says my ETL-GE, our transactions are about 28% with a redcard. How much of that is true, I don't know.
My store goal is 1510 by August 8 so it was like 56/wk but we haven't made goal yet so our weekly goal is probably 60 now. Stores in my district are clearing over 100 each week. My store is dead last in our group right now. Our penetration rate has been between 25-28% for the last year every week. so even though guests are signing up, they aren't using their card every time they shop which hurts us. If the penetration rate was improving, I think they would consider lowering goals or something.

make them WANT it
here we go

Reminds me of the sneaky cashiers who try to pass off the credit card as a store loyalty card. If I catch you speaking like this, I will inform my GSTL that you are deceiving guests and not properly educating them of the benefits, and you will be coached for it.

conversion to set goals increased required red card output. with the rumblings about new leadership not being so hot on the %5 giveaway and knowing they plan to increase margins steadily over the next few years; i predict the change is getting one final squeeze out of the red card program. we know they feel that the red card program has plateaued and in turn is losing importance. testing programs like RED perks tells us they are planning different ways to offer savings to guests. i expect you'll see similar tests over the next two years before any major changes are made to the red card program.

if Target gave two craps about training pr retention, they might have cashiers who are comfortable selling the red cards. As is, electronics and leadership at my store are so bad at epps and rcs that there is no reasonable way to expect better from their teams.

If Target REALLY cared about guest loyalty they would actually staff their stores with TMs to help guests, etc...

How many here have seen Guest survey comments saying how nice and awesome Target TMs are?

Now....

How many Guest Survey comments have you seen, where guests mention how amazingly happy they are that they applied for the Target Red Card?

If Target REALLY cared about guest loyalty they would actually staff their stores with TMs to help guests, etc...

How many here have seen Guest survey comments saying how nice and awesome Target TMs are?

Now....

How many Guest Survey comments have you seen, where guests mention how amazingly happy they are that they applied for the Target Red Card?
I see both comments at my store. But I also see comments where guests complain that they are sick of being harassed about the Redcard. Ironically the week after I talked to my DTL, who said "I read hundreds of comments each week and have never seen a comment complaining about redcards" we got our first complaint in our survey comments.

Then your DTL is blind. People complain all the time about being asked, about the fact it was declined for whatever reason, that they didn't have it with them and we couldn't look it up, etc, etc. There is at least one comment a week in my district about the stupid card.

That's not going to happens as long as my speed score doesn't stop until they pay its get them out fast ..I was not hired to sell the red card not in my interviwe did they say you must or else.yes I am to ask and i do every guest .. I get nothing for getting them..seems other stores do.just fine without harrassing people..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back