New S/E TL

JSM

Hi everyone! I am a new Service and Engagement TL and I was an external hire.

Two questions:
1.) Do any SE TLs have tips for me? I would love to hear about anything from improving metrics to being a successful leader.

2.) Do any of you S/E TM’s have opinions on your favorite and/or least favorite things about your TL’s? I want to be the best TL I can be. Not only for upper management but for my team.

Thanks everyone!

A few suggestions from what i learned long ago :

1. Stay up FRONT - be available for both guests and cashiers ! Speed weave the lines. Help remove hangers & spider wraps, put bags in carts to keep the
Lines moving.
A long, long time ago I was coached nearly EVERY time I walked away - the WORST SETL always spends TOO much time at TSC.

2. Call back-ups by NAME - please, please don’t scream “the line is long”- SO irritating and doesn’t make anyone help.
When calling names - be FAIR, don’t call the same people all the time.

3. Don’t let reshop overflow. Call the dept to come pick up when full- easier for them AND neater for the desk.

4. If it is slow - send a cashier to push reshop and call them back when needed - the sales floor tm’s will appreciate the help and reciprocate when you need backup.

5. Keep the check lane endcaps zoned and FULL.

6. Be friendly & helpful to promote positive survey scores

7. Schedule breaks so that one cashier MUST return to relieve another cashier - it will cut down on extended breaks if someone else is waiting for their return.

2. Call back-ups by NAME - please, please don’t scream “the line is long”- SO irritating and doesn’t make anyone help.
When calling names - be FAIR, don’t call the same people all the time.

Eh? Please check in with salesfloor TLs before doing this. SE does not know what everyone else's workload is for the day. You are going to get people extremely pissed if you start calling up TMs who have a lot on their plate that day. My store had an SETL who started doing this. The idiot called up the toys DBO in December a couple of times and called up the Seasonal DBO during the middle of a reset. Beyond those extreme examples, you need to be wary of calling up a TM who randonly got slammed with freight, salesplanners, price change, or just a lot of other tasks that need to be taken care of that day. Check in with the salesfloor TLs on who to call.
3. Don’t let reshop overflow. Call the dept to come pick up when full- easier for them AND neater for the desk.

As a DBO who grabs his reshop multiple times a day, please don't even think about calling me up unless the SA's are actually scanning things into the right bins. I typically throw half of what I find in my bin into other areas because that's where the shit belongs.

4. If it is slow - send a cashier to push reshop and call them back when needed - the sales floor tm’s will appreciate the help and reciprocat

Good idea. However, make sure the cashiers are properly trained on how to stock the salesfloor. Otherwise, the reshop just ends up all over the place, especially when what goes into the bins is not properly sorted.

About #2. - ASANTS - Our DBO’s have basically the same workload because workload is evenly distributed - if their own area is light they are given 2 areas.
Calling names ensures equal distribution of backup and negates the same person leaving their area repeatedly.

about #3. - YES, THIS. Reshop MUST be scanned and sorted into the correct bins. Guessing is NOT allowed.

about #4. - Absolutely ! ALL sales floor should know how to cashier AND ALL cashiers should know how to push.

About #2. - ASANTS - Our DBO’s have basically the same workload because workload is evenly distributed - if their own

How does this work on a daily basis? The schedule is done two weeks in advance and you don't know what is coming off the truck until the day before at earliest. We have a couple of DBOs whose areas are typically light so they have 2 areas. But, there is no way to account for the DC randomly deciding to send, say, sporting goods (a typically light area at my store) a massive amount of truck for the DBO's scheduled hours that day. Hell, even if my truck is randomly light on a particular day, it might actually mean, that I'm less available to backup because my ETL has decided that's the day she needs me to work on other projects, zone toys (her pet assignment for me because I rock at it), or just push furniture to give our home decor DBO a break from it. An SETL can't know that type of stuff on a daily basis without checking in.

How does this work on a daily basis? The schedule is done two weeks in advance and you don't know what is coming off the truck until the day before at earliest. We have a couple of DBOs whose areas are typically light so they have 2 areas. But, there is no way to account for the DC randomly deciding to send, say, sporting goods (a typically light area at my store) a massive amount of truck for the DBO's scheduled hours that day. Hell, even if my truck is randomly light on a particular day, it might actually mean, that I'm less available to backup because my ETL has decided that's the day she needs me to work on other projects, zone toys (her pet assignment for me because I rock at it), or just push furniture to give our home decor DBO a break from it. An SETL can't know that type of stuff on a daily basis without checking in.
Certainly an added benefit if the SETL checks in with the GM TL’s but typically we are ALL equally busy and can ALL back-up once or twice - NEVER more than that so EVERYONE must pitch in. Our Inbound TL if phenomenal at balancing the workload - each truck - he looks at length of shift and expected completion and balances the workload between everyone on the grid - some help others, some get help, some do one area, some do 2, some take the day off from pushing and set sales planners. Most shifts are 8-4 and he is sure to give an equal 7 hours work to all. There is NEVER 1 or 2 tm’s with LESS to do so THEY are the only ones to back-up - we usually ALL have more to do than we can get done - so we ALL back-up and we ALL leave a little something undone.

Certainly an added benefit if the SETL checks in with the GM TL’s but typically we are ALL equally busy and can ALL back-up once or twice - NEVER more than that so EVERYONE must pitch in. Our Inbound TL if phenomenal at balancing the workload - each truck - he looks at length of shift and expected completion and balances the workload between everyone on the grid - some help others, some get help, some do one area, some do 2, some take the day off from pushing and set sales planners. Most shifts are 8-4 and he is sure to give an equal 7 hours work to all. There is NEVER 1 or 2 tm’s with LESS to do so THEY are the only ones to back-up - we usually ALL have more to do than we can get done - so we ALL back-up and we ALL leave a little something undone.

Interesting. My store is very strict with DBOs. We all do our own areas first and foremost. Then, if we are expected to have time, and actually and up having it, we'll help elsewhere. Personally, I like it that way as I don't want others pushing in my area. I'm very, very, very particular about my zone and SFC's. If somone who doesn't constantly zone as they go and check counts on every item they touch got assigned to "help" in part of my area, I'd rage.

Eh? Please check in with salesfloor TLs before doing this. SE does not know what everyone else's workload is for the day. You are going to get people extremely pissed if you start calling up TMs who have a lot on their plate that day. My store had an SETL who started doing this. The idiot called up the toys DBO in December a couple of times and called up the Seasonal DBO during the middle of a reset. Beyond those extreme examples, you need to be wary of calling up a TM who randonly got slammed with freight, salesplanners, price change, or just a lot of other tasks that need to be taken care of that day. Check in with the salesfloor TLs on who to call.

As a DBO who grabs his reshop multiple times a day, please don't even think about calling me up unless the SA's are actually scanning things into the right bins. I typically throw half of what I find in my bin into other areas because that's where the shit belongs.

Good idea. However, make sure the cashiers are properly trained on how to stock the salesfloor. Otherwise, the reshop just ends up all over the place, especially when what goes into the bins is not properly sorted.
This! Most cashiers do not have a myDevice to scan for location and if they did, they wouldn't know how to read the schematic (a lot of GM tm's don't actually know how to read it!) They also don't know how to backstock. Explain the actual synergy between SFC, SFQ, backstocking and overstocking so the salesfloor isn't overfilled. Make arrangements for a GM tm to do the backstock. I don't think it's too much to ask the cashiers to learn these basic salesfloor things. After all, everyone else has to learn to cashier.

Target is “Guest first. Task second.” So it’s completely fair to call any TM regardless of what they have “on their plate that day.” We all have crap to do. One turn at the check lanes isn’t gonna be a huge deal. But other TMs seeing that such and such TMs are seemingly exempt from Fast Service can most certainly turn into a huge deal when it comes to morale and answering Fast Service calls promptly.

The most important thing is that you take the time to get to know your team. Spend the first 30 or so days observing your team and how they interact with each other and the guests. This is gonna be helpful when you get the inevitable guest complaint. You get to know your team it's a bit easier to figure out which guests are sincere and which ones are just trying to get over.
Don't come in hot its just gonna make your job harder than it needs to be.

Calling for backup is gonna happen. There's no getting around it. But you have to be cognizant of what the team on the floor has going on. I always partner with the leaders on the floor so I have an idea of what their team members are doing. And when you do call for backup you make sure you get that person off as quickly as you possibly can.
But you do not call people up there and then leave them to fend for themselves.

Care about what you're doing obviously. But don't take things too seriously. It's not worth it to fight with the guests over a few dollars. At the end of the day we sell toilet paper. We are not saving lives.

I dont think calling by name is a good idea for back-up especially as a new TL. I would suggest meeting with your TLs for Style amd GM before hand and make sure that they are choosing who goes up. In my store gm doesnt back up but thats only because we are down several people everyday and our style team is great and bites the bullet for us. Our front end calls for back up and our style tls will call out and ask a certain tm to respond.
In my store we also have a meeting every week with every area to plan who helps in opu if it gets crazy. Those tms get called everyday so avoiding picking those tms is also key otherwise they are doing triple duty.

I would say call for gm Tl before you call their dbo by name the reason as say this is because they are the only one helping with sfs and opu as well.No matter how much the workload is their practice is to reshop , zone 141 and then truck . When dbos do come and help don’t keep them at the lane for more than 15 minutes especially if gm has call outs as well. Don’t ever call for Plano team. Their workload is to set and even 15 minutes will put them behind .

Doubly important to everyone in the store is cashier trained.

Insist the Electronics TM is there until close unless you want to go back there ten times with the keys.

Since you are an external hire, just take a bit of time to observe before making any sort of changes. Get to know your team: who pulls their weight, who doesn't. Who is really good on the checklanes, who is good at drive-up, who is your go-to opener/closer. Understand that people have been in these roles for a while and changing the status quo (if you decide to) can upset the apple cart.

Be aware that every Target store has a different culture so the store you trained in most likely will function differently than the store where you are TL. Know that the team is usually fairly tight knit and you are the outsider with zero understanding of Target culture/lingo/practices/etc and learn to lean on those who have been around for awhile and are super knowledgeable.

Do not come across as condescending or on a power trip because you need those people to make your job easier. Team building is critical, especially with front-end. If you have a co-TL, really work to make that relationship a good one.

Before calling for backup, make sure you are utilizing your people as efficiently as possible. When we had our last reorganizing effort, called Modernization, the front end was supposed to be as self-sufficient as possible and backups were supposed to be minimal. Well, that seems to have gone out the window along with a lot of other things. But nothing will piss off a floor person more than getting called to backup while front end people are standing around shooting the shit, leaning on the counter scrolling through their phones, or hiding behind the reshop bins eating and drinking.

Being a leader is a balancing act between being understanding and motivating your team to be productive. Good luck, and

john oliver.gif

Last edited:
Target is “Guest first. Task second.” So it’s completely fair to call any TM regardless of what they have “on their plate that day.” We all have crap to do. One turn at the check lanes isn’t gonna be a huge deal. But other TMs seeing that such and such TMs are seemingly exempt from Fast Service can most certainly turn into a huge deal when it comes to morale and answering Fast Service calls promptly.
AMEN.

Before calling for backup, make sure you are utilizing your people as efficiently as possible. When we had our last reorganizing effort, called Modernization, the front end was supposed to be as self-sufficient as possible and backups were supposed to be minimal. Well, that seems to have gone out the window along with a lot of other things. But nothing will piss off a floor person more than getting called to backup while front end people are standing around shooting the shit, leaning on the counter scrolling through their phones, or hiding behind the reshop bins eating and drinking.

Being a leader is a balancing act between being understanding and motivating your team to be productive. Good luck, and

View attachment 12844
WHY WOuld someone call backup if its slow?

But to be fair ALL of the things you list… are actually your job. The entire building has tons thrown their way. It is everyone’s job to respond to guest calls and be a team player. It’s rediculous to spend time searching the roster calling individually when what you get is they called out, I’m going on my 15, their on a meal, I’m in the backroom, or nothing at all. Well by that time now I need 3 … LOL

But to be fair ALL of the things you list… are actually your job. The entire building has tons thrown their way. It is everyone’s job to respond to guest calls and be a team player. It’s rediculous to spend time searching the roster calling individually when what you get is they called out, I’m going on my 15, their on a meal, I’m in the backroom, or nothing at all. Well by that time now I need 3 … LOL

Use your own resources first. Hint: You are your own resource. Get on a lane yourself.

Disagree. There has to be someone readily available for immediate needs at guest services, problems at the lanes, etc. If they are on a lane, they are not able to respond to those needs.
I see a lot of TLs and ETLS doing the work of a TM all the time at my store because of lack of hours.

My store has the mentality that by under-staffing you are SAVING MONEY even though you end up paying an ETL and/or TL more money to do TM work.

If I am a bank president and have me shovel the snow in the parking lot instead of hiring a landscaper you AREN'T SAVING MONEY.

Last edited:
I see a lot of TLs and ETLS doing the work of a TM all the time at my store because of lack of hours.

My store has the mentality that by under-staffing you are SAVING MONEY even though you end up paying an ETL and/or TL more money to do TM work.

If I am a bank president and have me shovel the snow in the parking lot instead of hiring a landscaper you AREN'T SAVING MONEY.
You are if the bank president is there anyway. If you are having someone that is already on the premises, "on the clock" so getting paid anyway, do a job that ideally they should schedule someone else to do, then you are saving money by not having that other person on the clock.

Back