Archived New schedules for CAF pulls

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're a low volume store. It's shameful. There's no excuse and everyone knows it.

Glad to see we're not alone.
Our store is like that as well. Our excuse is that we are perpetually understaffed and we go through long periods of time without a Flow TL (they keep quitting).

I got a lot of the paperwork for it today. Its suggested to have 4 openers to pull on truck days and at least 3 on non truck days because your AUTO's will be larger. Then keep at least 2 until 12. A 1-5 person to pretty much pull and pushed the 1 and 3's and then your closer 1-8 (which makes no sense when FF drops until 9) 5's are optional, only for grocery and only on weekends. Any soft-lines will never pull on your 3 CAF, only on AUTO's, so you have to drop manuals. Manuals are suggested from 5-8 for hba,chem,paper and dry grocery.

What I am having trouble with is the weekend. My normal is 1 person 6-2 then 2-9 with a 12-4 pusher. I feel like I have to add at least 1 extra person now in the morning and then extend the pusher to help with 5's and manuals.

I got a lot of the paperwork for it today. Its suggested to have 4 openers to pull on truck days and at least 3 on non truck days because your AUTO's will be larger. Then keep at least 2 until 12. A 1-5 person to pretty much pull and pushed the 1 and 3's and then your closer 1-8 (which makes no sense when FF drops until 9) 5's are optional, only for grocery and only on weekends. Any soft-lines will never pull on your 3 CAF, only on AUTO's, so you have to drop manuals. Manuals are suggested from 5-8 for hba,chem,paper and dry grocery.

What I am having trouble with is the weekend. My normal is 1 person 6-2 then 2-9 with a 12-4 pusher. I feel like I have to add at least 1 extra person now in the morning and then extend the pusher to help with 5's and manuals.
don't forget to add 1 person for pfresh. coolers, please the PAs cannot do their jobs and push all the pulls and auto cafs.

don't forget to add 1 person for pfresh. coolers, please the PAs cannot do their jobs and push all the pulls and auto cafs.

Well that won't happen here.. we had this nonsense as a "pilot" and it was a TOTAL FUBAR. PA(s) were left to deal with this mess dry and coolers/freezer. It won't change this time around. Oh and don't forget to get the zoning done too and yes that includes dry too! Oh and paper too.. UMM PAPER is NOT FOOD! :mad: I don't care what aisle number it has! :mad: I can fix that if you really keep this up! :) ;) Let 'em figure out where A90-95 are ! ! :)

We're a low volume store. It's shameful. There's no excuse and everyone knows it.

As a B nearly A, that stresses me out like you don't know. :eek: :eek: I just can hear the conversations from ETL to DTL and up that would occur here... :eek:

We're 4 am and going to 6. We still had freight being pushed at 12:30 yesterday.

:eek: :eek: :eek: 8.5, or basically 8 with the "required" lunch and still pushing?!!??!!! :eek: If we were short staffed from CO/NCNS and VAC... maybe... and the truck was really large...REALLY LARGE.... There has to be something more to this, ie: Super? ? Understaffed??? Just no way any one from ETL down to TM would have a job on 8.5 push and still not done.... :eek: Not here any way, unless there is some issue staffing or something....if this is daily, there has to be more to this.

Same at my store. From the day the store was opened, Flow was never really pushed to be fast AND accurate. New store leadership began pushing speed, but that has really tanked accuracy. A lot on Flow will have a case of product in an aisle, see a hole and just shove what they have in there whether it goes there or not. Now, leadership is trying to improve accuracy but it is difficult.

Fast AND accurate on Flow is a double edged sword... which requires diligence... If you don't start with it, then getting it and then maintaining it, is going to be a rough hard road. It is a daily fight to get things FIFO'd in market. Then to get things pushed to the correct location due to "zoning" that SF decides to move things, and Flow has to clean up after.

PS: If you don't don't understand the difference between ZONING and FLEXING and when they apply. Step away from the shelve! STEP AWAY!

What! WHAT! ?? ?

By 1100 the only team that should be left is FDC... unless we were to get some HUGE 3000 truck or something.

0600-0700 unload
0700-1000 push Push PUSH PUSH!

We are an 0600 store.

Maybe in some case where the truck is late, doesn't come, or its ridicously huge... past 1000, but only 50% at 1100!! !

Are you short staffed or something???
Just checked our stats this morning, we're B level. 4am process right now. It normally takes them just over two hours to unload a 1,500 to 2,000ish truck. Because we normally have the ETL and one good person in the truck and then whatever other bodies we can find out on the line. I've got people leaving at 10:30 or 11:30 most days, but there's usually always still a section left to finish. Either grocery or c/d depending on what the path was for pushing that day. Yesterday a handful even stayed on til noon. Always a problem recently. After my original STL left we started sliding and didn't come clean more than once all fourth quarter. Like line full, light duty full, wall of TVs/seasonal full....I have no idea how we didn't just term the flow TL and instocks/backroom TL for not even seeing a sense of urgency. Speed is life may not be a "thing" anymore, but it should still be how we do things. Not slow as slugs, filling whatever gap, hoarding equipment thats not used for accuracy, leaving trash/cardboard at the last minute, etc.

I don't really have the time to figure this out for the company, but I seriously think they need to scrap the idea that SFQ is somehow a fix to our problems with the accumulator and pull system. I think (and again this is a brain storming type of idea) that the accumulator needs to be a combination of the servers that check OHs and Backroom Quantities, not dependent upon the floor counts. X (Backroom) + Y (Salesfloor) = Z (Total On Hands). If we already have X and Z, why are we manually counting Y under SFQ? Why can't we just take Z-X to get Y?

This would work great because then it would FORCE the company to nail its logistics process (we need to come clean every single day on backstock) and be green on BRLA and have PERFECT backrooms again. It all starts back there, and if you can keep a stellar BRLA, your floor would immediately benefit. Would we have to change some other things as well? Of course, but it would be worth the increase in data integrity since guests aren't in your backroom messing stuff up (and you aren't basing your data on counts you are randomly taking from 8-11 when the store is open and not zoned very well.

EX: Paper Towels fit 12 on the floor. We have 36 OH and 30 on Location in the Backroom. Accumulator should then KNOW that there are 6 on the floor (and therefore the shelf is at 50% to capacity). Accumulator pulls 6 more and Backroom reduces to 24 and now it knows the shelf has 12 (and is at 100%). Salesfloor TM does not stock top shelf by accident and sends 2 to backstock. They later get backstocked so the backroom quantity goes to 26. Next pulls trigger it again because it knows they can fit based on total OH and Backroom Quantity (fixing the problems with not stocking multiple locations).

I can see with this system that SFLA, TWT, BRLA, and Audits would be a bigger focus. We would need a system that would flag and check items that are getting pulled and backstocked back and forth. We would likely also need to move to every other hour CAFs to give the Backroom Team time to backstock whatever comes back from the CAFs.

Just checked our stats this morning, we're B level. 4am process right now. It normally takes them just over two hours to unload a 1,500 to 2,000ish truck.

:eek: :eek: WHAT! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Under 1400 = 30 MIN UNLOAD MAX

1400-1800 or so = 45 MIN UNLOAD

1800-2100 or so = 1HR UNLOAD

Above 2100, to about 2500, which is the most I've had = ~ 1.5HR UNLOAD.

Yes this is checked, watched, and monitored.. I am very verbal about it to the team in the truck, on the line, and on the radio. I wanted to do something very visual with this, but it was nixed as a little, err... A LOT TOO MUCH. :) ;) Not to mention totally not "brand/BP." :) I may reapproach this again this year, as it still is a good idea, and its done at most DC's for the loading (I have no idea if TGT does, but considering we are still shoving boxes one at a time in a truck, I doubt it.).

5-7 min per panel is BP, 6 panels per truck = 30 minutes, but pallets, and REAL LIFE don't always congeal with BP. As BP thinks you can do it in 48 minutes regardless of the count, 6 panels (taking worst time) x 8 min = 48 minutes. Anything at about 1HR and I am not too witchy! :) Go past 1HR and the witch'ness builds, unless the thing is huge, pallets that won't go out the rear of the truck etc... every minute past unload is a minute lost in push! :) And when you are forced to start at 0600 that time is precious!

Because we normally have the ETL and one good person in the truck and then whatever other bodies we can find out on the line. I've got people leaving at 10:30 or 11:30 most days,...... for not even seeing a sense of urgency.

We have a set team, throwers, scanner, backstock/tranistion, line sort, etc. Unless there is CO, VAC, unscheduled due to hours every one has their spot and they go to it. Only changes we make daily is like I said CO, VAC etc...

Flow is not something you don't just throw bodies at! Especially bodies that don't want to be there! Uninterested and unmotivated TM(s) on Flow especially are DEADLY!

There sounds like there is major issues with your Logistics team there. Why the ETL is putting up with this, hmmm.. don't know.. I know I would be eaten alive allowing this from my ETL, who would be getting it from the STL.... I just shake my head.... Real life is a witch and she can throw kinks in.. deal with it daily... Yeah my ETL will jump in and throw, but only because of a CO, NCNS, or something else stupid. Thankfully that has not been the case for a while. I think at times they like to do it to relive stress! :) ;)

Are you not pushing during unload? As a 0600 store, you will NEVER SUCCEED unless you have teams pushing from the start. As 0400 you can mass bowl areas and WAVE them, but with what you describe, maybe not. I have a set plan to to push each day, and yes things throw kinks in it daily. As a 0600 store, I would suggest you get ready for some really, REALLY HARSH guest comments! I know what my guest think of us being in the store during open, and it is not polite. I agree, but unless I get sales to the next level getting back 0400 or two levels to get an ON process or some one at HQ wakes up.. ok that is not happening.

Speed is life may not be a "thing" anymore, but it should still be how we do things. Not slow as slugs, filling whatever gap, hoarding equipment thats not used for accuracy, leaving trash/cardboard at the last minute, etc.

Speed is life here! From the BR to the SF! Not just logistics, but all processes. If you are a slug, you are gone! Flow push is just under a box per minute. Ideally it should be in the 45-50 second range, but to make it easier to teach and monitor we just basically use 1/min/box. Newbies are pushed to get here.. Yes it is measured, literally. With my stopwatch! TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK! Just like that kids game... now if I could just get the floor to actually make the boxes jump when time is up! :) :) ;)

Same with working clean.. and equipment. Well only a handful of TM's get devices for flow. BR gets all PDA's, other than one to scan the truck. mytoys are for a handful, thats it. I am not going to go off on that rant.. as a lot of the hoarding of mytoys by SF is a peeve.. Specialties ie: IS, PC, is one thing.. but I did SF tasks with no PDA for years. :)

Under the new times it's said our store will only have one Caf a day at 1pm leaving IS more time to scan. Yaaaas. Only exception will be Sat (and maybe Sun) where 5pm Cafs will drop as well.

Target is really starting to push Manuals. Huge focus coming up.... Already is, but no store in my District is following that direction..

So what the fuck is this gonna look like? I need an example of a schedule.

A silly ETL tonight told me that we are going to pull the GM side once a day? What the fuck? The caf batches will be gigantic if it's like that.

Target does not know how to run anything. I mean seriously, what the fuck?

Looks like I'm gonna fill out an application at QT for a part time gig.

A silly ETL tonight told me that we are going to pull the GM side once a day? What the fuck? The caf batches will be gigantic if it's like that.
That could be a good thing if you think about it. The batches will be big enough to justify using pretty much one tub per fillgroup, which would cause the backstock to come back organized. You spend an hour or two pulling ONCE per day, and spend the entire rest of the time backstocking.

It could work out a lot better for backrooms that have trouble coming clean consistently.

Looks like I'm gonna fill out an application at QT for a part time gig.
I keep hearing ads on the radio for food made to order at QT. Sounds like the employees are now gas station attendants, convenience store cashiers/stockers, and fast food chefs.

Last edited:
Heard about this from group leaders today. They were saying that in the pilot district that CAF size didn't see a big increase in size, but I find that extremely hard to believe.

Apparently backroom hours are going to go down by a whole 50 or so a week. I could understand the reducuction in CAFs if there was support for things like EXFs throughout the day, but how is the floor going to stay full? Are sales floor pulling any product the floor needs?

Heard about this from group leaders today. They were saying that in the pilot district that CAF size didn't see a big increase in size, but I find that extremely hard to believe.

Apparently backroom hours are going to go down by a whole 50 or so a week. I could understand the reducuction in CAFs if there was support for things like EXFs throughout the day, but how is the floor going to stay full? Are sales floor pulling any product the floor needs?

If hours allow, you'll probably see more manuals and POG fills. That's how we kept our floor full during the pull segmentation test last year.

I don't really have the time to figure this out for the company, but I seriously think they need to scrap the idea that SFQ is somehow a fix to our problems with the accumulator and pull system. I think (and again this is a brain storming type of idea) that the accumulator needs to be a combination of the servers that check OHs and Backroom Quantities, not dependent upon the floor counts. X (Backroom) + Y (Salesfloor) = Z (Total On Hands). If we already have X and Z, why are we manually counting Y under SFQ? Why can't we just take Z-X to get Y?

This would work great because then it would FORCE the company to nail its logistics process (we need to come clean every single day on backstock) and be green on BRLA and have PERFECT backrooms again. It all starts back there, and if you can keep a stellar BRLA, your floor would immediately benefit. Would we have to change some other things as well? Of course, but it would be worth the increase in data integrity since guests aren't in your backroom messing stuff up (and you aren't basing your data on counts you are randomly taking from 8-11 when the store is open and not zoned very well.

EX: Paper Towels fit 12 on the floor. We have 36 OH and 30 on Location in the Backroom. Accumulator should then KNOW that there are 6 on the floor (and therefore the shelf is at 50% to capacity). Accumulator pulls 6 more and Backroom reduces to 24 and now it knows the shelf has 12 (and is at 100%). Salesfloor TM does not stock top shelf by accident and sends 2 to backstock. They later get backstocked so the backroom quantity goes to 26. Next pulls trigger it again because it knows they can fit based on total OH and Backroom Quantity (fixing the problems with not stocking multiple locations).

I can see with this system that SFLA, TWT, BRLA, and Audits would be a bigger focus. We would need a system that would flag and check items that are getting pulled and backstocked back and forth. We would likely also need to move to every other hour CAFs to give the Backroom Team time to backstock whatever comes back from the CAFs.

There are far too many variables that go into it. 36 OH and 6 in BR would only be equal to 30 in location IF:
There is no theft, there are none in guests carts, there is none sitting on the pull line/backstock line, there are no mispicks and the zone is perfect.
Instead, there is a combination of all of these which would mean the system would pull far too much product for EVERY product in the store trying to compensate.
Takes longer to pull, longer to work, longer to backstock. That all costs time which is money that isn't necessary.

What! WHAT! ?? ?

By 1100 the only team that should be left is FDC... unless we were to get some HUGE 3000 truck or something.

0600-0700 unload
0700-1000 push Push PUSH PUSH!

We are an 0600 store.

Maybe in some case where the truck is late, doesn't come, or its ridicously huge... past 1000, but only 50% at 1100!! !

Are you short staffed or something???

You clearly don't work in a ULV with 8 flow team members total

If they want the pulls and backroom to be more accurate with the counts, someone needs to be forced against their will to fix STO in RF apps.

That means when a tub or flat full of Billy Bob's Strawberry shampoo is backstocked at 1pm, it shouldn't get pulled at 2pm. There are no ifs, ands, or buts. No.

FIX IT!

After our FDC truck on Thursday our back stocker STO'd all in dairy and Friday mornings auto caf was 2 hours long. Most of the yogurt and juice did NOt go out to the salesfloor it was still full. Fix this problem first

After our FDC truck on Thursday our back stocker STO'd all in dairy and Friday mornings auto caf was 2 hours long. Most of the yogurt and juice did NOt go out to the salesfloor it was still full. Fix this problem first
SFQ was supposed to stop this. Not sure what changed, but we've been seeing the same issue in multiple depts lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back