Service & Engagement New SCO Pilot

Guest Avocado

Service Desk Team Trainer
This was on Workbench/myDay communication last week. Starting October 1st, select stores are going to be testing out Self-Checkout converting to Express Self-Checkout, being 10 items or less only, just like the old Express Checklanes were before the wave of remodels in recent years. And as apart of this, there will supposedly be more Cashier payroll provided to the test stores.

I’ll say what we’re all thinking and assume this is due to the rise of theft at SCO, and apart of Target’s preventing shortage and shrinkage.

IMG_8795.jpeg

The issue with this pilot is literally every retailer including target until just now has been pushing more and more and more SCOs which is fine. But now our SCO utilization is literally 80 percent At my store. Now you want it UNDER 50??
Sometimes I doubt whether Corporate knows what they want. Or what they’re doing.🙄

If they try this at my store that would be impossible. We have 5 SCOs and 2 registers (remember, I work at a small format) and prioritizing those two registers would be HELL on our already understaffed store

What's going to stop the guest with 15 or 20 items? A hard lock after 10 at SCO? Or is it on the honor system and guests can keep bringing carts through?

Doesn't help when guests take their sweet time, meander, fumble around, chat with their shopping companion, stare at the screen confused, etc. Andale people!
I used to quickly scan items at sco not anymore. Why should customers help business get other customers quickly thur checkouts when businesses don't won't to hire cashiers who can get paid to do it.

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

Doesn't help when guests take their sweet time, meander, fumble around, chat with their shopping companion, stare at the screen confused, etc. Andale people!
I LOOOOOVVVEEE (sooooooo sarcastic ) when that person with 3 little ones and teaching them how to use the machine and how to pay while there is a long line waiting and then you think they're done and moving on and then the last little one is going to buy something with their birthday gift card and the adult is just so proud on how their kids are 'learning' a lesson. Had one mom with a few kids during covid and this was a class day in Target. her words not mine.

I LOOOOOVVVEEE (sooooooo sarcastic ) when that person with 3 little ones and teaching them how to use the machine and how to pay while there is a long line waiting and then you think they're done and moving on and then the last little one is going to buy something with their birthday gift card and the adult is just so proud on how their kids are 'learning' a lesson. Had one mom with a few kids during covid and this was a class day in Target. her words not mine.
That drives me insane. I'm all for teaching your kids, but do it when we're dead and the kids are older. I don't even let my teens do it when it's semi-busy because I feel bad for taking up the time and space lol

I used to quickly scan items at sco not anymore. Why should customers help business get other customers quickly thur checkouts when businesses don't won't to hire cashiers who can get paid to do it.
It's not helping the store so much as being considerate of other shoppers. People are waiting for you to move it along. I try to be ready to scan and pay quickly before getting to the register.

By dawdling, you aren't sticking it to corporate, just the shoppers waiting behind you.

The issue with this pilot is literally every retailer including target until just now has been pushing more and more and more SCOs which is fine. But now our SCO utilization is literally 80 percent At my store. Now you want it UNDER 50??
This is what happens when you only have two check lanes open and you force people to SCO. I’ve gone to the SCO with a full cart knowing I can scan quickly instead of having to wait in line or wait for back up. You know where the increase in hours to the front are going to come from? The hours are coming from the sales floor.

This is what happens when you only have two check lanes open and you force people to SCO. I’ve gone to the SCO with a full cart knowing I can scan quickly instead of having to wait in line or wait for back up. You know where the increase in hours to the front are going to come from? The hours are coming from the sales floor.
They're already doing that because the floor people keep getting backup calls

They're already doing that because the floor people keep getting backup calls
This was already happening. Now they are increasing hours to the front and decreasing from the sales floor. Now when they call for back up there is less to pull from the floor. We are running less people in tech, apparel and beauty because those hours are going to the front.

Last edited:
I just experienced this test for myself and I am pissed! Two separate banks of SCOs and BOTH of them were 10 items or less. I was buying my weekly groceries which I prefer to bag myself because I like all my cold stuff bagged together, all my boxed stuff together, all the soft stuff together (bread, chips, etc). Had to go to a cashier who was by far, the worst I have ever experienced bagging groceries- and I've seen some pretty bad ones. No efficiency at all and didn't seem to know how to place items in a bag with any kind of sense.

Talked to the lady who was at SCO (who's great at her job, I see her every week, she knows her stuff!) and gave her some feedback to pass along. @Guest Avocado if it happened to be you this morning, I hope I didn't come across as too bitchy- I know it's not personally your doing!

Am seriously considering not going back until I can do it myself again. I am not one who ever goes into Karen-mode but I was feeling it today. 😳

Edited to add: I did submit store feedback thru the app as well.

Last edited:
This was already happening. Now they are increasing hours to the front and decreasing from the sales floor. Now when they call for back up there is less to pull from the floor. We are running less people in tech, apparel and beauty because those ours are going to the front.
They're not going to the front here, the hours up front keep getting cut. Who tf is getting these hours here I wonder? Probably GS/OPU/DU.

In a related matter I was at a Meijer (sort of a Walmart for those not in the Midwest) that had a five items or less set of SCOs.

The thing is you had to weight something to had to got to a separate scale first then print a tag to scan your weighed item.

There was only one scale for these three SCOs.

I also thought it was odd that the grapes we had to wear wear already prepackaged so I am not sure why we had to weigh them.

Back