New Seasonal

Today was my first shift as a seasonal cashier and I have a couple questions...

1. Do I need someone to cover me when my ETL tells me to take my break for a 4 hr shift or do I just shut my lane and go?

2. When my shift is over should I wait for the ETL to tell me I'm good to go or do I shut my lane and clock out?

3. About how many hours does a seasonal worker work a week? I'm a high school student so I'm available 4-9 weekdays and full days on weekends.

4. When there isn't a guest around to check out what are some things I can do to make myself look busy?

Thank you,
Rudie M.

Today was my first shift as a seasonal cashier and I have a couple questions...

1. Do I need someone to cover me when my ETL tells me to take my break for a 4 hr shift or do I just shut my lane and go?

2. When my shift is over should I wait for the ETL to tell me I'm good to go or do I shut my lane and clock out?

3. About how many hours does a seasonal worker work a week? I'm a high school student so I'm available 4-9 weekdays and full days on weekends.

4. When there isn't a guest around to check out what are some things I can do to make myself look busy?

Thank you,
Rudie M.
First welcome and I would try and stay annoymous and not include your name bevauee some stores and leadership don’t like this site.
1.) depends on your store if they tell you to take your break at a specific time and you don’t have a guest I would just go. Some stores require you to be told to take your break when you should go.
2.) refer to 1

3.) if you’re in high school you can’t work more than 24 hours a week when school is in session but up to 40 when you’re on school vacation.

4.) clean your belt, zone some candy but most targets like their advocates to be available for the guest so I would recommend just hosting/red lining (essentially standing at the end of your register) and greeting your guest as they approach

original.gif

Welcome-Aboard-Devid-Tennant-On-Doctor-Who.gif

if you’re in high school you can’t work more than 24 hours a week when school is in session but up to 40 when you’re on school vacation.
I'm assuming this is depended on state laws. I worked 26 hours just last week and I'm in high school. Also I did 38 hours the week of Thanksgiving last year, which I had school for part of that week.

I'm assuming this is depended on state laws. I worked 26 hours just last week and I'm in high school. Also I did 38 hours the week of Thanksgiving last year, which I had school for part of that week.
Technically yes but no. Target follows the strictest minor laws country wide which is New York and California. No more than 24 hours and you can’t work past 9:45. Both states I’ve worked in have allowed more than 24 but target does not. You can technically get away with it unless someone from target or HROC notices.

Back