• Thread starter mxrbook
  • Start date
  • Replies 19
  • Views 2K
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mxrbook

I'm GSTL in a SuperTarget. Love my job but I'm thinking about transferring to a new PFresh opening in the next year. Pros and cons?

New (or refurbished) equipment.
New fixtures.
No dust.
No dirt.
No grime.
New teams.

I haven't spoken to HR about transferring. Are most of the TMS new hires? How about the TLs and ETLs and the STL? Would Target put a new STL in a new store? I clearly know nothing about new stores.

My greatest fear is that the TLs/ ETLs who transfer are transferring because they are unhappy in their current store. That would mean that we'd have a team consisting of a bunch of possible misfits.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will get a lot of transfers from people wanting to be in a new store. Or if it is closer than their current commute. So you will have a nice mix. Same as if you stayed in your current store because some people will potentially be leaving and must be replaced with new TMs. How do you get along with your current management? That may be a deciding factor.

Personally for me, if it wasn't a much longer commute I would probably do it just so I could have the challenge of building a team with your own signature. You get to have a hand in creating the culture. That's fun to me, so I would love to have that opportunity.

I get along quite well with my current management. My ETL will be sad to see me go as will most of the others, I believe. It sounds very junior high, but I'm popular in my store. My strengths are driving for results and motivation/inspiration so I think I'd fit well in a new store atmosphere.

It's actually a shorter commute and a new store does sound exciting.

At my store TLs always get 40 hours. Is that not the case everywhere?

Nope. I don't have 40 hours....Price Accuracy doesn't have a lot of work right now, so I'm lucky to pull 30-33 hours. Not all of the Sales Floor TLs in my store get 40 hours either....depends on how many hours Hardlines and Softlines are given.

What about other stores as far as GSTLs? 40 hours or not? I'm really curious now. I get that not all stores have open to close,7 day a week, coverage by GSTLs but I'd think that they'd have 40 hours and then fill in with GSAs if the store won't support enough GSTLs.

My store has hours for two GSTLs and two GSAs on the front lanes every day. In good times, we have a mid as well. To make up for the balance of 40 hours for GSTLs and GSAs when times are bad (like now), the GSAs do shifts at Guest Service. But at the end of the week, all GSTLs (four right now and one to be hired) and all GSAs (four) get 40 hours.

Wow. Talk about different stores/different cultures. I can't imagine anyone would want to be a TL in my store if we weren't pretty much guaranteed 40 hours. We can take unpaid time off so that reduces hours, but it's almost as if we're salaried, except that in extreme cases we get overtime.

I talked with HR about transferring. He thinks I'm nuts. It's a ULV store and my current store is one of the top 20 in the US. First question, has anyone every transferred from a giant to a ULV and how weird was it? Second question, am I nuts? Would I get crazier, just standing around all day, as my HR TL said? Third question, if I interview, can I change my mind without losing too much face at my current store?

Market surveys and projections. This is not their first rodeo. ;)

I've been a GSTL. Personally I think its better to be one in a high volume store because you aren't stretched to the limit trying to get everything done. However, the overall culture in ULV stores is so much better than high volume stores because of the teamwork necessary to accomplish everything. However, it sounds like you already enjoy your store.

Sounds like your store probably has at least 4 GSTLs and just as many GSAs. Depending on the volume of your store, you're likely to be the only GSTL or one of two (not including Sr.)
In lower volume stores the GSTL has to have a very good team of GSAs and lead them very well. Because honestly your GSAs are often just underpaid versions of you (minus the coaching etc.)

As for hours, I'm 99.99% sure that you'll get 40 regularly. Even when our sales floor TLs in a ULV were affected by hours cuts, the GSTL still got 40 because they were a crucial part of the team. Your GSAs, cashiers, etc will get cut looong before you do.

Last edited:
Talk to someone in a ulv before you transfer, my store has had several transfers from higher volume stores, ALL found it to be a rude awakening, whether they were tl or tm.

Yes, teamwork is key! There are never enough hours, spls are a nightmare, seemingly never ending. Imagine being gstl/operator/guest service and setting cl pogs or spls with one cashier who is pushing candy or 1spot.

Love my store.... But be warned according to our transfers, it is a ton more work than what they were used to.... They were shocked to see what we managed to do with the hours allocated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back