Archived New Team Lead Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi so I just became a team lead of electronics and was wondering if anyone had any advice? I used to be an electronics team member so I have some electronics experience. I know it is now a modernization team so I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips for me?

I will say one the hardest things is to transition from peer to leader. You being in the same department will definitely have it’s challenges, however it is important to establish routines so that you can hold your team accountable. With modernization there is a lot of selling, make sure you are committed to role playing with your team and leading by example. Communicate wins and loses with your team often.

Routines are key over there. Make an audit schedule and hold the team to it. The instocks aspect of it you can get to the point of it being on autopilot. Same with AAR, let the team know that it’s non-negotiable. It’s easy to be green if you’re consistent; when I was an electronics TM I had green AAR and SRP every week/month for 8 months consecutively. Remind guests that the drawer they have full of old free HDMI cables may not be able to handle the 4K HDR with Ethernet signal their new TV requires. Remind them that if they return an item, they get their money back on the squaretrade too, and that squaretrade will refund the plan price if they don’t complete your claim within 5 days of it being approved. These two talking points helped me the most.

Product knowledge is a little overrated, in my opinion. Know the basics, and have a favorite go-to item for every category that you know lots about. You don’t have to know everything, you just have to know more than the guest. The guests that are looking for a ton of info are the ones that don’t know very much.

If you nail the instocks, and the AAR and SRP, guests will be happy and they will be buying more. There’s your sales and service focus right there, without any additional effort. Boom! Easy positive comps. Electronics is a fantastic place to get noticed, it’s how I got promoted. Continue to use the visibility to your advantage and don’t be afraid to take some risks. Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back