Archived New Team Leader...Preparing to be hated

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS190

APTL
So, some background on me, I'm almost at 6 years with Spot, 3 years an Electronics TM, 3 years a Sr./TPS. In my store I formed some strong bonds with the team, and I'd like to think I'm personable, charismatic, and likeable. (at least to my knowledge) I've had a good relationship with about everyone in my store, and overall I like the idea that people like me. I never had an 'enemy,' and nothing's ever come up that somebody had a bad thing to say about me. Overall I treat everybody with respect and like to make them laugh along the way, and it's a nice feeling.

But

I just got promoted to AP-TL, and I'm moving to an all new store. A store that I'm told by peers and even my predecessor has broken processes and plenty opportunities with operational routines, safety, and so on. I know the drill, you come into a store guns blazing and try to fix/change everything from the get-go is basically asking to be loathed, I have no intention of doing that. But something has to give. Be it one week, two weeks, or a month into role, eventually I have to start making an effort to improve operations, shortage, etc. And I know that I'll have two options: Push the team to see results, or try not to rock the boat and let the store stay stagnant. I'm over 50% to my degree and I want to be ETL before my 8 years, so you can guess which option I want to go for.

Now, obviously ASANTS is a big factor here, and there is absolutely leaders that are both effective and loved by their stores, but for all of those there's just as many TL's, ETL's that are great at their jobs but are hated by at least some team members, fairly or not (For every ETL-HR that's hated by their team for retaliation and other legit concerns there's an ETL-GE that's hated by their cart attendants for just making them follow the 7 cart rule). So whether it's going to happen or not, I'm mentally preparing for the outcome that by making my efforts to improve the store, successful or not, it's going to rub some people the wrong way. I've never actually had that happen to me before, like I said before while I can't and won't claim that nobody disliked me, I've never actually been in a situation where it was a known.

I'm not 100% sure why I made this thread, I'm not looking for "how to deal with being disliked" advice, I guess I just never talked about this aspect of the job with anybody yet and I just needed to get these thoughts out there. So...thanks for letting me let this out?

Last edited:
I know it makes me sound like one of those people that has to have everybody like him, and that's not it. It's just I don't like the idea of something inevitable that I can't prevent. You know?

there's just as many TL's, ETL's that are great at their jobs but are hated by their team
If a TL is hated by their team they are NOT great at their jobs. No way around that. Given your own self description, I think you'll do fine. Don't stress so much. But don't be a push over TL.

If a TL is hated by their team they are NOT great at their jobs. No way around that. Given your own self description, I think you'll do fine. Don't stress so much. But don't be a push over TL.
"hated by their team" is a bit much, (I'll edit it)

I mean there's always that one team member that resents that a TL told them they need to stop talking and get back to their zone, or a cart attendant who insists they can push 10 carts fine and get mad if they get coached for safety. Or, as an AP-TL example, if fitting room team members are just letting people walk in and I'll probably ask they start counting the clothes the guests bring, they'll probably get annoyed if I comment when they're still not doing it.

While assessing what needs to be implemented, split your list into the "must change immediately" & the "things to work toward".
On the first list, emphasize to your team the urgency of changing these processes then step over to the other list of what the ultimate goals involve. Solicit their suggestions as to how the team as a whole can do this.

"hated by their team" is a bit much, (I'll edit it)

I mean there's always that one team member that resents that a TL told them they need to stop talking and get back to their zone, or a cart attendant who insists they can push 10 carts fine and get mad if they get coached for safety. Or, as an AP-TL example, if fitting room team members are just letting people walk in and I'll probably ask they start counting the clothes the guests bring, they'll probably get annoyed if I comment when they're still not doing it.
Ok I understand that. Just watch your tone and delivery a little bit. You already know you can be very likable. If you can be as likable as you say, you should be good at this. Good luck!

To be successful in the long run, you'll need to get the buy-in from the team, and have them solve the problem.

You can't fix issues by being a nazi.

My advice? Spend a week and evaluate, list the issues by priority, and start fixing them one by one, highest priority first. You won't overwhelm your team, and you'll have things to celebrate along the way.

The store I transferred from was in a town where hatred was just NORMAL. No matter how great an attitude any of the leaders had, or how they tried to reward TMs, everyone was just suspicious and paranoid and wouldn't warm up to him/her. I remember one time HR and the STL mailed hand-written cards thanking each TM for specific actions. I got mine and thought it was a nice gesture. When I went to work though, the first thing out of people's mouths (MULTIPLE PEOPLE) was: "did you get your thank you card?...I mean, what do you think they WANT??!?" To which I responded, "Uh, maybe they just want to THANK YOU."
Unbelievable. I don't want to seem negative or anything, but I know the hellhole town I came from and the overall culture and attitude there was awful. No amount of food, games, prizes, or kindness changed anything.
Are you going to a new city as well as a new store? I'd get some info on the area for sure; don't just think of the store itself. The overall culture of the area and things that influence behavior shouldn't be ignored (i.e., is there a lot of poverty? Are there opportunities for personal and professional growth? My old town was blue-collar and stagnant as far as opportunities, lots of poverty and alcoholism as well). My point being, I agree, some leaders can be amazing but fail to connect with the team (and sometimes it's BECAUSE they are amazing that they fail to connect). Thinking about more than just your role in the store might help you with your approach.
Good luck!!

Very
While assessing what needs to be implemented, split your list into the "must change immediately" & the "things to work toward".
On the first list, emphasize to your team the urgency of changing these processes then step over to the other list of what the ultimate goals involve. Solicit their suggestions as to how the team as a whole can do this.
Very well said. Spot lost a good one

Don't be afraid to roll your sleeves up and get your hands dirty, I'm sure you know by now that team members tend to favor leaders who do that.

Just be confident in your decisions, verbally back your decisions by explaining why to your teams, and you should be fine.

Also, I haven't personally seen this, but I've heard of it being an issue in the past when it comes to your peers. AP is like a separate entity in the store. There is more-or-less the store operations chain of command, HR chain, SFT chain, and then AP chain. So while you might not fall directly inline with store operations leaders (hardlines, softlines, GSTL, etc) you aren't necessarily above other team leaders. You're just separated. Again, nothing I've seen personally, but I've had various STL's and ETL-AP's mention to me that it can turn into a common problem

I say stick to your guns. You might seem like a total D bag at first, but that can be smoothed out with sincere recognition. Being part of a process change can be stress full for anybody. Most people want to be good at what they do from the top to the bottom, and if they don't care consider them toxic and cut them loose. Your mind set seems solid. Your going to do well.

If your experience is like mine you will encounter the majority of your resistance when dealing with other leaders, not regular TM's. TM's can be convinced to support AP fairly easily, but getting the buy-in from other leaders who have multiple deadlines and only a limited amount of hours to complete them is much more difficult. It's not made any easier by the fact that even though you are "just" a TL, as an APTL there will be times you will be challenging ETL's and even the STL on issues. Your job will be a lot easier once you get them to make your goals their goals. That's when things can really start humming and you will have a lot of success.

Well it is important you get used to the fact that not everyone will like you. You have a goal, personal and corporate and to meet that goal you must remain focus. Just do what it takes to get the job done. Do not concentrate whether they like you or not. Do what is right.

I totally understand the fear of not being liked especially in retail but you know what, you have to put that aside and do what needs to be done for the sake of your job and the success of your team and department. That means that you may have to challenge some of your peers and superiors and that's not a bad thing, that's part of being a leader. If you don't voice issues, who else will and if that means you have to step on some toes to get work done, then so be it. You'll be respected for being assertive when needed and many team members, Team Leaders and ETLs and above will see you as someone who gets things done and knows what to do when an issue arises. You'll be fine.

As long as you don't give obnoxious pep talks.

i_in_team.png

Not to sound callous, but as APTL you can't be the guy that delivers rainbows & bubble gum cupcakes all day everyday.

I'm sure you realise this, and this may be part of your concern, but going into a new store with a culture you don't currently know, it may be best to not try to be the guy that wants to be everyone's bestie.

Sometimes, there is no one in the fitting room at my store.
On one of the schedules my boss wrote a few weeks bad he said he only had 24 hours of coverage to use for the fitting room. I have been told that because our flow team is not able to complete a truck with the hours MyTIme gives them that our STL steals some of the hours from the sales floor to give to them. This upsets me, as they still don't always get the trucks finished on time. I am barely getting a enough payroll to keep my head above water and departments show it. We rarely ever get a good zone anymore. Our DTL has given us a red that past visits for brand and don't think we really even deserve a score that is that good.

because our flow team is not able to complete a truck with the hours MyTIme gives them that our STL steals some of the hours from the sales floor to give to them. This upsets me, as they still don't always get the trucks finished on time. I am barely getting a enough payroll to keep my head above water and departments show it. We rarely ever get a good zone anymore.
Join the club. Not many spots left but we can fit you in.

On one of the schedules my boss wrote a few weeks bad he said he only had 24 hours of coverage to use for the fitting room. I have been told that because our flow team is not able to complete a truck with the hours MyTIme gives them that our STL steals some of the hours from the sales floor to give to them. This upsets me, as they still don't always get the trucks finished on time. I am barely getting a enough payroll to keep my head above water and departments show it. We rarely ever get a good zone anymore. Our DTL has given us a red that past visits for brand and don't think we really even deserve a score that is that good.

Some solutions to a problem don't work in every situation. It would be to the benefit of your store if this formula isn't working, for the STL to take a different approach. Instead of beefing up the resources in the area that is having the problem that is easily measured by time, use the resources else, for example budgeting out more closers to obtain a better zone for flow team to work with. Or some other such solution that may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back