New Timeclocks!

Considering that punches are not actually classified, you would need only 1. In other words, Mytime classifies your punches based on how many and in what order you punch. Of you did all out punches, Mytime would record it as in, out meal, in meal, out.

Considering that punches are not actually classified, you would need only 1. In other words, Mytime classifies your punches based on how many and in what order you punch. Of you did all out punches, Mytime would record it as in, out meal, in meal, out.
Meal in/out is required for 31 min enforcement though.

Meal in/out is required for 31 min enforcement though.

On the front end, yes. The enforcement is done by the time clock itself. On the back end you could hit 'Start Work' 4 times for the entire day and myTime does not care as long as it sees 4 punch registrations (hence whenever you need to fill out a Self Service form for a correction it no longer specifically asks for 'SW/SM/EM/EW' any longer, it only wants the time). So the extra work having to go back and modify the application is having the myTimeclock reading all of these different barcodes, sending it forward to a (probably) new application specifically made that would run on your front end control room server that does nothing but compare/convert all of the 'SW/SM/EM/EW' barcodes into the original discount format TM # and send it back to myTimeclock to register the punch back to myTime. Remember we can't keep any type of TM information/data like this on an easily accessible device so it must be forwarded to a secure server instead, so basically the tablet is serving its primary function as a thin-client for myTime. (and by easily accessible, don't forget about what happened with the riots at stores, imagine what would happen if someone were to run into your TMSC and decide to rip the tablets off the walls and take them home. Absolute information security nightmare.)

Last edited:
On the front end, yes. The enforcement is done by the time clock itself. On the back end you could hit 'Start Work' 4 times for the entire day and myTime does not care as long as it sees 4 punch registrations (hence whenever you need to fill out a Self Service form for a correction it no longer specifically asks for 'SW/SM/EM/EW' any longer, it only wants the time). So the extra work having to go back and modify the application is having the myTimeclock reading all of these different barcodes, sending it forward to a (probably) new application specifically made that would run on your front end control room server that does nothing but compare/convert all of the 'SW/SM/EM/EW' barcodes into the original discount format TM # and send it back to myTimeclock to register the punch back to myTime. Remember we can't keep any type of TM information/data like this on an easily accessible device so it must be forwarded to a secure server instead, so basically the tablet is serving its primary function as a thin-client for myTime. (and by easily accessible, don't forget about what happened with the riots at stores, imagine what would happen if someone were to run into your TMSC and decide to rip the tablets off the walls and take them home. Absolute information security nightmare.)
Still think it’s something that could be done. It knows how to lock you out for 31 mins now, so just do that but with barcodes. Like the barcode would essentially “press the button” for you. I understand infosec concerns but this still doesn’t seem all that difficult.

Also could you pass along that tablet should be letting TMs know to scan discount barcode instead of typing if it doesn’t already.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Why can't the time clock just do as the discount does but also be able to select the function with the corresponding barcodes?

I'm confused. Why can't the time clock just do as the discount does but also be able to select the function with the corresponding barcodes?

Because if you accidentally scan the wrong function key barcode, that's it. There isn't a safety. There isn't a 'Back' option like accidentally touching the screen and hitting 'Start Meal' and you go, "Oh crap, that's the wrong one, let me go back and select the 'End Meal' instead." Instead you get to have a quick conversation with HR about an incorrect Meal Punch and having to do a correction. Times that by 1878 stores. (1890 I think soon with 12 new stores opening?)

Essentially the onos is put on the TM to correctly select the right function and to keep corrections down to an absolute minimum. Time wasted on HR's end and time wasted on TM's doing corrections = $. I think you know where this going.

It's an extremely, extremely small demographic that would take advantage of something like this. The typical turnover at store level is just hard to justify making an extra option like this even harder to sell to the upper senior managers. Yes, you could present the case by saying that you would save time and money by having TM's being able to scan a barcode that immediately clocks them out for lunch without any further action. The push back you would receive is, "Are you really saving that much time versus pressing the time clock screen once and using the standard discount barcode? Is the possible time saved is being lost by having to load up an app and carefully select the correct barcode versus just pulling out their discount card and scanning that quickly (this alone would require its own time study). How much time would HR teams chain-wide spend on following up on corrections? How much more workload would they incur? How much time would be lost by TM's doing said corrections? Is overall liability and ownership placed on the myTimeclock application? 3rd party application? Team members?

I get it, and I'll just shutup about the politics side. Trust me, the business owners and project managers have likely thought about it as well while drawing up the initial planning phase and conceded that currently adding the automatic 'SW/SM/EM/EW' barcodes did not meet justification (and is over my paygrade mind you to make such decisions). Maybe that'll change, who knows. But in the end it's a business decision that involves cost and money somewhere where this extra function was left out.

And as to informing the team to utilize discount codes to scan in/out, it'll come after full chain rollout is complete. Plus lets be real, there's enough tech saavy people at each store now that they've likely figured it out by now (pending if they've already been installed yet) and would spread information like this to the rest of their team (especially if it makes everyone's life easier to use it.)

Last edited:
@Sarakiel but here’s what I’m failing to see. Why do corrections need to be made? If every punch is the same except start meal which has the 31 min enforcement, why does a correction need to be made if I accidentally scan “end work” instead of “start work”?

And even if I accidentally scan start meal, unless there’s some wackadoo schedule there’s no reason I would be using the timeclock anyways in the next 31 mins (it’s not like I have only 30 min shifts)

Because if you accidentally scan the wrong function key barcode, that's it. There isn't a safety. There isn't a 'Back' option like accidentally touching the screen and hitting 'Start Meal' and you go, "Oh crap, that's the wrong one, let me go back and select the 'End Meal' instead." Instead you get to have a quick conversation with HR about an incorrect Meal Punch and having to do a correction. Times that by 1878 stores. (1890 I think soon with 12 new stores opening?)

Essentially the onos is put on the TM to correctly select the right function and to keep corrections down to an absolute minimum. Time wasted on HR's end and time wasted on TM's doing corrections = $. I think you know where this going.

But what would be the difference between selecting the function on the time clock compared to selecting the function on your phone though?

But what would be the difference between selecting the function on the time clock compared to selecting the function on your phone though?

myTimeclock = Target Techologies Services Client Technologies approved intra-network application. myStore = 3rd party. Again, all about liability.

myTimeclock = Target Techologies Services Client Technologies approved intra-network application. myStore = 3rd party. Again, all about liability.
Ok, so publish the barcodes in some random doc on workbench. Barcodes would then be official, no more liability.

Apparently the new timeclocks don't keep you from clocking in too early from lunch.
The only time it officially won’t is if you clocked out for meal on the Old timeclock and then clocked back on the new (which would only happen on day of replacement). Or it glitched, obviously

Back