Archived New to Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Ya’ll I’ve only been with Target since September and I was hired for plano(which I still do), but I got asked to do signing as my primary job title.

So a few things...
1. I have NO idea what I’m doing and my STL won’t send me for training.
2. All I do is wait for my weekly pallet to come in...organize said pallet and give all the SPL to the hardlines TL. I scan the box for a location..if there’s a location then I throw it up!

THEN today as I was leaving work the PMT approached me and asked me to order a sign for him and I was like “talk to Chels” and he informed me that I should be able to order missing signing on my own and that I should be checking my email.

So WTF I feel like I’m missing so much info. I almost wonder if part of the modernization process is getting rid of the signing position and they just wanted me to do it in the meantime?!? I have no clue. So basically, I’m super frustrated.

Ok Ya’ll I’ve only been with Target since September and I was hired for plano(which I still do), but I got asked to do signing as my primary job title.

So a few things...
2. All I do is wait for my weekly pallet to come in...organize said pallet and give all the SPL to the hardlines TL. I scan the box for a location..if there’s a location then I throw it up!

THEN today as I was leaving work the PMT approached me and asked me to order a sign for him and I was like “talk to Chels” and he informed me that I should be able to order missing signing on my own and that I should be checking my email.

So WTF I feel like I’m missing so much info. I almost wonder if part of the modernization process is getting rid of the signing position and they just wanted me to do it in the meantime?!? I have no clue. So basically, I’m super frustrated.

In my opinion/experience, giving a signing position to someone with less than 6 months plano experience, even maybe a year--will likely not go smooth. I see other stores fall apart because of inexperienced signing tms, plano leads, or both.

I would be frustrated too.

So a few things...

Sorry to answer your question. Usually once your in the system as signing tm. You will get access to email and sap (ordering) in about 2 days to a week. Talk to HR.

I would spend time knowing how to look up on workbench non-pog signing update, merch update, transition guide, early set notes, and adjacency maps.

I stumbled on the non-pog signing update thing by accident but all those other things are news to me! I learn really quickly so I know I can do it I just need someone to answer my questions!

“It’s not rocket science” that’s the statement that gets me through.

I stumbled on the non-pog signing update thing by accident but all those other things are news to me! I learn really quickly so I know I can do it I just need someone to answer my questions!

“It’s not rocket science” that’s the statement that gets me through.

It's not rocket science. That's why I throw much signing away.

So, here's my question to you ... who is your tl? Ask them for some advice. If none is forthcoming, here is what I would advise: do whatever signing comes in. Put it up. What you can get done or not done depends on how much they scheduled you. Some people get scheduled 40 hours, some don't.

I'd say 1/3 of the signing at my store never gets put up. If I don't put it up or no one else does it, it sits in the fixture room (that's where my signing lives) for about 2 weeks after the set date. Then in the baler or compactor it goes.

Definitely scroll through the signing thread on here. People have asked before what kind of routines to have for signing so there should be several generic lists of what to expect from some of us who have been doing this job forever. Feel free to ask specific questions in the signing thread too, we are pretty helpful bunch!

I feel your pain. I got "promoted" to Signing TM in October - just in time for Q4 sets. It was basically a trial by fire at the worst time of year. No training, no nothing. Didn't even have more than a few random weeks of plano experience, either.

But Q4 went really well, everyone says I'm doing a good job.

The main things I can recommend are:

- Check your non-pog signing update from workbench regularly. That will give you a good idea of what's coming ahead of time.

- Keep everything that comes in on a signing pallet as organized as possible. I try to make sure I touch and label everything so I at least have some clue when people ask me for stuff. Make sure you have a set place for your reciever to put ISM that comes via FedEx as well. You don't want that stuff getting lost.

- Keep on the HL TLs for any salesplans that aren't set by the set week. I try to remind them during the week if I still have salesplan signing for stuff that isn't set yet.

- A lot of big sets will be missing signing it seems. I had to order about 25% of the signing for the infants set a couple weeks ago. Still waiting on it, but be ready to use the POG to find DPCIs for any missing signing.

- For the in-line signing on POGs, just do what you can. A lot of times the locations don't seem to be exact but from what I've seen in other stores I've gone to, just having it on the floor is a victory.

- Don't overthink things. It can be easy to get way too into the weeds for some stuff. I just have to tell myself that no one sign can be that important, and do the best I can with what I have and move on.

That's about all I can think of for now, but if you're even asking on here that probably means you at least care a little, which should mean you'll do fine. If you stay organized, pay attention to the details and make a little effort to make sure everything stays up to date, you should be good.

I feel your pain. I got "promoted" to Signing TM in October - just in time for Q4 sets. It was basically a trial by fire at the worst time of year. No training, no nothing. Didn't even have more than a few random weeks of plano experience, either.

But Q4 went really well, everyone says I'm doing a good job.

The main things I can recommend are:

- Check your non-pog signing update from workbench regularly. That will give you a good idea of what's coming ahead of time.

- Keep everything that comes in on a signing pallet as organized as possible. I try to make sure I touch and label everything so I at least have some clue when people ask me for stuff. Make sure you have a set place for your reciever to put ISM that comes via FedEx as well. You don't want that stuff getting lost.

- Keep on the HL TLs for any salesplans that aren't set by the set week. I try to remind them during the week if I still have salesplan signing for stuff that isn't set yet.

- A lot of big sets will be missing signing it seems. I had to order about 25% of the signing for the infants set a couple weeks ago. Still waiting on it, but be ready to use the POG to find DPCIs for any missing signing.

- For the in-line signing on POGs, just do what you can. A lot of times the locations don't seem to be exact but from what I've seen in other stores I've gone to, just having it on the floor is a victory.

- Don't overthink things. It can be easy to get way too into the weeds for some stuff. I just have to tell myself that no one sign can be that important, and do the best I can with what I have and move on.

That's about all I can think of for now, but if you're even asking on here that probably means you at least care a little, which should mean you'll do fine. If you stay organized, pay attention to the details and make a little effort to make sure everything stays up to date, you should be good.
Aw man! You’re awesome, I do care, but no one is telling me I’m doing a good job. I don’t really need to hear that to do my job right, because I love what I do actually! I just like to see things done right and not half-assed, which is why I’m here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back