Archived New to the Site and a Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I found out about this website after googling some stuff about Target and decided to join as I need a place to talk and vent about my job as a cashier. I got hired in May of this year, so I've been with the company for about two months now, yet it feels like it's been forever. Originally I applied last summer for hardlines but was rejected, yet this year my local store was desperate for cashiers, and I was desperate for employment, so that worked out nicely, although I still wish I could at least get cross trained as hardlines so I could cover my friends' shifts. Any idea on how to get trained to work in other parts of the store, like hardlines, softlines, or the service desk? I hate the limited mobility of the checklanes because I wish I could walk around and help people find what they're looking for. I asked the front end ETL and she said my REDCard numbers have to get up, but that seems impossible, and I have a feeling if I get good at getting REDCards, she'll want to keep me as a cashier.

Anyway, I look forward to discussing all the fun stuff that happens at large retailers with you. This seems like a nice community.

Cross training is commonly used as an incentive, which is what your ETL is telling you. People are commonly expected to fully fulfill their role's core functions before expanding and cross training into other teams. I remember before learning electronics they wanted to see if I could sell more service plans at the lanes. Stuff like that. Sometimes it's the old carrot on a stick, sometimes they just want to genuinely make sure they're not dumping poor talent on another team or someone who isn't ready.

Find out who the ETL of the sales floor is.
I did, and he told me to talk to my ETL.
Cross training is commonly used as an incentive, which is what your ETL is telling you. People are commonly expected to fully fulfill their role's core functions before expanding and cross training into other teams. I remember before learning electronics they wanted to see if I could sell more service plans at the lanes. Stuff like that. Sometimes it's the old carrot on a stick, sometimes they just want to genuinely make sure they're not dumping poor talent on another team or someone who isn't ready.
I feel like it might be the carrot on a stick. I was told I have to be an excellent cashier before I can "share my talent". But my ETL did let me zone the cosmetics section for a bit when things slowed down one night, so she definitely remembers that I'm interested in learning hardlines. I guess I'm just a little impatient. HR told me I could cross train after about a month.

Being that you're still new that actually sounds pretty legitimate of them to say. Take what training opportunities are given to you for now, but focus on being a solid cashier within your 90 days and afterward it is fairly common in targets culture to start more heavily cross training.

Most cashiers eventually get cross trained to work the service desk, right? I know some people told me they were trained a year after they got hired, others a couple months.

You could always get cross trained the way I did it. Take one of your hardline buddy's shifts anyways. Show up for your shift and they have to teach you lol

Training was a good 5 seconds and was "pull things forward and make it look nice. put these things where they go."

HR/ETL didn't care about that? I don't think they'd appreciate if I did that, lol

@Kaitii Yeah but any smart LOD wouldn't sign off on that shift swap...so you've got a decent chance of getting it approved. :rolleyes:
@aj76257 As long as you learn your way around the register well and are an effective problem solver, you should be able to get to guest service by your 90 days.

Welcome!
When its slow, zone, clean & refill bags on your register without being asked. Volunteer to do reshop with approval from GSA/gstl. Smile & be approachable by guests & other tms. Ask questions & be willing to learn something like back to school(BTS).
Here is how you read a label for starters.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    518.6 KB · Views: 7
Most cashiers eventually get cross trained to work the service desk, right? I know some people told me they were trained a year after they got hired, others a couple months.

Depends if they need more people for SD and how competent they think you are. Some folks never get trained for SD. Also, you are expected to get RC sign ups at the SD as well.

Greetings and salutations.

Welcome to The Break Room.

Welcome!
When its slow, zone, clean & refill bags on your register without being asked. Volunteer to do reshop with approval from GSA/gstl. Smile & be approachable by guests & other tms. Ask questions & be willing to learn something like back to school(BTS).
Here is how you read a label for starters.
Thanks for the label picture! I already do all of those things and I've told all the GSAs and GSTLs that I'm their go-to guy for front end zoning. I made the mistake of volunteering to zone the dollar section once too, so I hope that shows them I'm dedicated.

Thanks for the label picture! I already do all of those things and I've told all the GSAs and GSTLs that I'm their go-to guy for front end zoning. I made the mistake of volunteering to zone the dollar section once too, so I hope that shows them I'm dedicated.
Try pushing product in dollar section.

I apologize for my ignorance, but what exactly does pushing product mean? I'm still not familiar with all the jargon yet.

Ah, okay. I'll ask about that during my next shift. Thanks for the advice! And thank you everybody for the warm welcome!

Get to know your store, where things are, who does what and what the chain of command is. Be ready to accept tasks outside of your core roles. Do so w a positive attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back