New Truck schedule?

There's been murmurings at my store that we're going to go to 2 weeks on 2 weeks off of trucks?! Before the holiday season we consistently have gotten 7-8 trucks a week, now with the Christmas season we pretty much get a double every other day. There talking about implementing this in December!? How does any of this make any sense!? And no the store is not closing.
But there's just so many questions with a strategy if this is the future?

I'm just thinking about the scheduling nightmare, or they would give almost no one any hours in the store for the two weeks with no trucks. Then all of a sudden they ask you to work OT with the two weeks on! This would cause people to get another job part-time at least, and then with the two weeks on with trucks would completely conflict with that job so this would just force people to leave Target completely! Also just a product shortage in general the shelves would be completely bare for 2 weeks? Have any of you guys heard anything about this at your stores?

I can see maybe a week on, week off system. I know our backroom is absolutely stuffed with freight so having a week off would allow the freight to be moved out to the salesfloor in a more timely manner. Overnights isn't helping either because there's just so much.

This would work with most everything but dry food and pipo paper products.

Toys are overflowing right now with every stockroom with 5 pallets and on the sales floor pallets all day long.

I have a hard time seeing how this could work. From a scheduling perspective, how does this work? From the perspective of someone who needs a reliable paycheck to pay the bills, how does this work?
As a DBO who sometimes struggles to get all of my freight pushed, back stocked, etc., I have a hard time seeing how this works - my repacks pile up to the ceiling during the week/s trucks come and then I get it all caught up on the off week/s? What about the SFS TMs who have to paw through unpushed pallets (because we sure wouldn't have enough u-boats to hold it)?
And guests are going to figure out something's up when they come looking for their regular dog food or shampoo or whatever and the same empty holes are staring at them from the shelves. I expect some of them will be wondering if the store is closing.

I have a hard time seeing how this could work. From a scheduling perspective, how does this work? From the perspective of someone who needs a reliable paycheck to pay the bills, how does this work?
As a DBO who sometimes struggles to get all of my freight pushed, back stocked, etc., I have a hard time seeing how this works - my repacks pile up to the ceiling during the week/s trucks come and then I get it all caught up on the off week/s? What about the SFS TMs who have to paw through unpushed pallets (because we sure wouldn't have enough u-boats to hold it)?
And guests are going to figure out something's up when they come looking for their regular dog food or shampoo or whatever and the same empty holes are staring at them from the shelves. I expect some of them will be wondering if the store is closing.
I feel your pain, but our store is so short staffed that we're already in the scenario you describe. Our shelves are already empty for months on a lot of items and I'd bet most of it is in the pallets overflowing the backroom and containers. I feel that if true this would be very helpful. I doubt they'll cut the inbound team as they are all doubling as DBOs. I'm glad your store hasn't reached this level yet, but yeah.... it's bad right now and has been for months

I feel your pain, but our store is so short staffed that we're already in the scenario you describe. Our shelves are already empty for months on a lot of items and I'd bet most of it is in the pallets overflowing the backroom and containers. I feel that if true this would be very helpful. I doubt they'll cut the inbound team as they are all doubling as DBOs. I'm glad your store hasn't reached this level yet, but yeah.... it's bad right now and has been for months
I don't see how this will help though - ?? Pretty sure that all of our unload team are also DBOs, but they're in departments that are smaller.
The store still needs to replenish product that guests buy, so it seems like the same amount will come in. It'll be spread out in daily or nearly-daily trucks like now or crammed into the "on" week with larger trucks or doubles or triples every day.
We've had a hard time finding places as it is to put everything with all the seasonal merch. Just don't see how it'd work. And work well.

Back