Archived New Unload Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I park the uboat I'm working on in front of the end cap and walk the item down the Ilse to its location. I've been told a few times to bring the vehicle down the isle w me. Only problem is now the guest can't get their cart down the isle. I've told the team leads this and all they say is 'its best practice!' Getting sick of all these mandates that don't make any sense. I can't understand the no carts thing either for our cardboard. STL says it's so they're there for guests. Only thing is there are over a hundred lined up outside of the store. Unless it's black Friday we've never had a lack of carts.

I park the uboat I'm working on in front of the end cap and walk the item down the Ilse to its location. I've been told a few times to bring the vehicle down the isle w me. Only problem is now the guest can't get their cart down the isle. I've told the team leads this and all they say is 'its best practice!' Getting sick of all these mandates that don't make any sense. I can't understand the no carts thing either for our cardboard. STL says it's so they're there for guests. Only thing is there are over a hundred lined up outside of the store. Unless it's black Friday we've never had a lack of carts.

I saw a a child lean out of the seat and almost get decapitated while their mom was pushing the cart down the aisle past a U boat. She never saw it because she was browsing. I yelled, "Mam!" She stopped and gave me a angry look until I pointed at the U boat. The Team Member working the U boat was standing right in front of it and never saw her coming.

Here’s how my day went. I’m not a logistics leader nor am I a logistics expert, so I’m sure there’s details I’m missing or forgetting. I’m TL for half of the PP2 areas, so this will be much more detailed for those aspects. 55-60m store here. On process for sort and stock, pp2 on the new op model, with the rest starting to roll it out. Minimal backroom team/hours, they pull some autos but don’t do any backstocking, everyone does their own. 4am unload. Roughly 1800pc truck. Sales floor TL throwing, 5 on the line. Unload and sort done at 6:30. PP1 team arrives 6am, shifts varying from 4-6 hours. PP2 team arrives at 6am and 8am staggered but the 6ams do hardlines ad before starting truck. The unloaders with the exception of 1 have another 2 hours of their shift to push as well. Consumables team arrives 6am, pull and push autos and fill etc. Lots of paper and chems on today’s truck. PP2 DBOs start to finish truck around 10am, and shift to PP1 to help them push while waiting on their autos. At noon only 1 PP2 DBO still on truck, the others now pushing their autos. They’re small, since my team is expected to audit outs daily and their whole area weekly. 6am PP2 DBO #1 sets a salesplanner for this weeks workload, and then does planning and organization for the revisions and transition this week in their area. PP2 DBO #2 is a secondary and arrived at 8am, and I send them to DBO #4 who arrived at 6am and spent their first 2 hours doing ad. The 2 6am PP2 team leaves, and #2 finished #4s truck, autos, backstock, and auditing. I’m in DBO #3 spot today, which was very light, and with no ETLs until evening today, I spend a decent amount of time splitting lod duties with the log opener and the ‘actual’ lod. I shift to PP1 to help them wrap up. I set a salesplanner, and plan my workload for the week for pogs etc. PP2 midshift arrives at noon, we only have this shift on weekends. They handle reshop and help push and backstock autos. My half of PP2 is clean at 2:30 when I leave. The other half rolls over a single u boat of sporting goods, which there’s a good chance electronics team might blitz out as they have coverage overlap today. PP1 rolls over a single u boat of chems. All autos completed, all backstock done. Call offs: 6 hours. Shifts extended: 3 hours. Food is a different beast; their autos are huge; and they were on track to get done but the FDC arrived as half the team was on break and then it was loaded poorly so that cost a lot of time. Food ends up rolling 3 tubs of autos. Softlines, unload arrives at 6am, 2 pallets done by 8am when the rest of softlines shows up, but reshop was awful and I had them each push a reshop z rack before starting truck push. I won’t know how softlines ended up until I’m back tomorrow morning. I’m sure I’m forgetting things, so feel free to ask questions. Payroll spent on unload and sort: 13.5hrs PP2 my half: 28 hrs (the portion they spent on ad they are scheduled under signing, not using my payroll) PP1: 30hrs

Greenfield said unload should have been 17hrs. Sort was done properly, all repacks were completely sorted as well. ETL log would have had this truck with this crew unloaded by 5:30, but the sort would have been garbage. Funny how a sales floor leader doing the unload literally set up the whole store to practically come clean instead of everyone rolling shit over because of bad sort.

We have to let go of the old way, this shit can work. We aren’t getting a lot of payroll, and we are under orders to come in under posted hours as it’s the last week of the month.

Last edited:
I've had so many close calls running over children it's almost a matter of time before I do it. It's worse doing OPUs than with push vehicles. Saturday mornings are prime bring your kids and pay no attention to them whatsoever at my store. It's also put in big online orders time because you don't want to deal with that shit while shopping. A couple of Saturdays ago I had a 32(33?) DPCI order that I didn't get to right away because I was doing a previous order. I'm practically flying around the store grabbing shit. The goal time approaching alert goes off. I still have 7 tasks left. Sprint down A Block and finish them all paying zero attention to my surroundings. I'm sweating like crazy at this point. Reach Pick Completed, Scan a Printer. I'm off down the racetrack to reach the service desk and scan this shit in. My alert chimes again. I instincitvely grab my device and look down to see if I've exceeded goal time or have another order while still racing. Looked up just in time to see one of those MJ Holding transparent plastic balls with the stupid crap inside rolling in my path and a toddler crawling after it.

I've had close calls with overloaded Uboats and flats. But, holy crap. I'd swear my heart stopped for a second there and it took every muscle in my body to stop my cart from running right over that kid. I actually did manage to scan everything in on time. Sort of. I just scanned, printed a label and stowed it all in once place quickly. Not best practice, but you do what you have to. The alert was for a different order. Fortunately, a small one that the GSA on duty was willing to do for me. I had to go sit outside for a few.

Corporate's ideas about what should get done and how fast are not guest friendly. Tl;dr I almost killed or serious injured a toddler rushing to complete an OPU on time.

I love my OPU library carts but the fact that they’re silent blows. During the rushes I tend to pull rather than push because I’d rather it hit myself in the back of the leg than hit a kid since they don’t stop as quickly.

I love my OPU library carts but the fact that they’re silent blows. During the rushes I tend to pull rather than push because I’d rather it hit myself in the back of the leg than hit a kid since they don’t stop as quickly.
Let’s be real, guests are too fucking deaf or stupid to even hear a broken-ass clanky broken tub. I love how quiet the OPU carts are, tubs were deafening, and as the u boats stop being new, they’re getting noisy. The wheels are starting to become worn because the area by our line is so tight that we often drag them sideways a bit to get them out, causing flat spots on the wheels.

Last edited:
Those OPU carts move so fast and steer so nimbly that they are kind of fucking dangerous lol

I don't have any special OPU carts. My store doesn't do SFS so we don't have special carts. I have three tiers. I've jerry-rigged one of them to be quiet. Padding and zip ties for the opening screen doors. Partner with PMT to get the wheels lubed up and maintained regularly. My bags layer the top two tiers to stop any items in them from causing rattling. I love that cart. Woe to any other TM who dares to touch it for anything other than OPUs. But, yes, it's a freaking hazard when the store is busy. Keeps me from going crazy with the rattling and I can actually hear when I'm called on the walkie though.

Last edited:
I don't have any special OPU carts. My store doesn't do SFS so we don't have special carts. I have three tiers. I've jerry-rigged one of them to be quiet. Padding and zip ties for the opening screen doors. Partner with PMT to get the wheels lubed up and maintained regularly. My bags layer the top two tiers to stop any items in them from causing rattling. I love that cart. Woe to any other TM who dares to touch it for anything other than OPUs. But, yes, it's a freaking hazard when the store is busy. Keeps mme from going crazy with the rattling and I can actually hear when I'm called on the walkie though.
Bags? Do you bag the orders as you pick them? Don’t you have to scan each item when stowing it at the OPU area? I haven’t done an OPU in awhile

Here’s how my day went. I’m not a logistics leader nor am I a logistics expert, so I’m sure there’s details I’m missing or forgetting. I’m TL for half of the PP2 areas, so this will be much more detailed for those aspects. 55-60m store here. On process for sort and stock, pp2 on the new op model, with the rest starting to roll it out. Minimal backroom team/hours, they pull some autos but don’t do any backstocking, everyone does their own. 4am unload. Roughly 1800pc truck. Sales floor TL throwing, 5 on the line. Unload and sort done at 6:30. PP1 team arrives 6am, shifts varying from 4-6 hours. PP2 team arrives at 6am and 8am staggered but the 6ams do hardlines ad before starting truck. The unloaders with the exception of 1 have another 2 hours of their shift to push as well. Consumables team arrives 6am, pull and push autos and fill etc. Lots of paper and chems on today’s truck. PP2 DBOs start to finish truck around 10am, and shift to PP1 to help them push while waiting on their autos. At noon only 1 PP2 DBO still on truck, the others now pushing their autos. They’re small, since my team is expected to audit outs daily and their whole area weekly. 6am PP2 DBO #1 sets a salesplanner for this weeks workload, and then does planning and organization for the revisions and transition this week in their area. PP2 DBO #2 is a secondary and arrived at 8am, and I send them to DBO #4 who arrived at 6am and spent their first 2 hours doing ad. The 2 6am PP2 team leaves, and #2 finished #4s truck, autos, backstock, and auditing. I’m in DBO #3 spot today, which was very light, and with no ETLs until evening today, I spend a decent amount of time splitting lod duties with the log opener and the ‘actual’ lod. I shift to PP1 to help them wrap up. I set a salesplanner, and plan my workload for the week for pogs etc. PP2 midshift arrives at noon, we only have this shift on weekends. They handle reshop and help push and backstock autos. My half of PP2 is clean at 2:30 when I leave. The other half rolls over a single u boat of sporting goods, which there’s a good chance electronics team might blitz out as they have coverage overlap today. PP1 rolls over a single u boat of chems. All autos completed, all backstock done. Call offs: 6 hours. Shifts extended: 3 hours. Food is a different beast; their autos are huge; and they were on track to get done but the FDC arrived as half the team was on break and then it was loaded poorly so that cost a lot of time. Food ends up rolling 3 tubs of autos. Softlines, unload arrives at 6am, 2 pallets done by 8am when the rest of softlines shows up, but reshop was awful and I had them each push a reshop z rack before starting truck push. I won’t know how softlines ended up until I’m back tomorrow morning. I’m sure I’m forgetting things, so feel free to ask questions. Payroll spent on unload and sort: 13.5hrs PP2 my half: 28 hrs (the portion they spent on ad they are scheduled under signing, not using my payroll) PP1: 30hrs

Greenfield said unload should have been 17hrs. Sort was done properly, all repacks were completely sorted as well. ETL log would have had this truck with this crew unloaded by 5:30, but the sort would have been garbage. Funny how a sales floor leader doing the unload literally set up the whole store to practically come clean instead of everyone rolling shit over because of bad sort.

We have to let go of the old way, this shit can work. We aren’t getting a lot of payroll, and we are under orders to come in under posted hours as it’s the last week of the month.

Congrats on making it work. Truly. But, sounds like a clusterfuck to me that will take a long time for my store to figure out. It's exactly why I jumped at the chance to switch my main work center to OPUs and only do hardlines/inbounds when someone else needs a day off.

Bags? Do you bag the orders as you pick them? Don’t you have to scan each item when stowing it at the OPU area? I haven’t done an OPU in awhile

Yeah. We have to scan the items when stowing at the front. But, the way our front end is arranged it's easier to have the bags in my cart. My printer is kept on one end of the service desk. I stop my cart in front of that end. Scan and bag my items and place them on the desk. Then, I have to walk to the other end of the desk, open the security door, grab the bags and scan them in a location. The alternative would be to put all the items on the desk first, then go behind the desk to scan and bag from bags located under the desk.

My way is faster. It's part of my first thing in the morning routine to grab a bunch of OPU and Drive Up bags. I layer my cart with enough of them that I'll have plenty of each for my shift with hopefully enough leftover for the closer who relieves me.

My store gets 50-60 hours for 2200 pc trucks, your store gets 71.5 for an 1800 pc truck? Huh.

Well, hours are only getting worse. The next few weeks are going down, down, down. I wonder how BTS will be in terms of hours, and how stores will handle the increased workload in the affected areas (good practice for Q4, I guess). We haven't decided which areas go to which TMs/TLs yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to own either toys or sporting goods (or both).
Presentation got 4 hours this week, that work is being done by sales floor. Price change same story. We are scheduling backroom less than plan hours preparing to not have backroom at all. Payroll scheduled this week is less than plan hours.

Congrats on making it work. Truly. But, sounds like a clusterfuck to me that will take a long time for my store to figure out. It's exactly why I jumped at the chance to switch my main work center to OPUs and only do hardlines/inbounds when someone else needs a day off.
It’s going to be a massive clusterfuck of an adjustment for most stores. We got sort and stock in a good place then moved PP2 to the op model, and learned from that for a few months and then watched it succeed for a bit before rolling it out everywhere else gradually. Even so, once it’s official company policy, yeah it’s still going to be a headache even for us.

Our INF is lower because shit doesn’t get overpushed or flexed

Bet that'll be fun when Oct/Dec come around if you're anything like us. I know in seasonal around here, whenever we get within a week or so of a candy-laden holiday we start getting told (when we work seasonal) "flex it anywhere you can shove it, no backstock allowed, just turn around the price tag if you put it someplace with a different price"

After reading busyzoningtoys post, we are in big trouble. If look at the org chart for his store, 55-60 Mil and compare it to mine, 25 Mil, there is no comparison to the level of staffing. You have more leadership and bodies along with the payroll.

There is no way we can process freight at the level at which they can, let alone all of the other task at hand. We just don't have the physical bodies.

Think of it this way, we each have a 5 gallon bucket to empty out. No I in Team has a pint funnel and busyzoning toys has a gallon funnel. Who is going to be able to empty out the 5 gallon bucket easier and faster? Ever tried pouring a 5 gallon bucket into a pint funnel? You make a mess.

An 1800 piece truck does not get done in our store the same day. We can handle a 1300 piece truck with a little to no carry over. But any thing more than that and we just can't come clean most times with our numbers. We have a decent group too.

Instead using the low volume stores as the base model, they most likely used the mode (frequent annual sales $) or the mean (average sales for the year/average sq ft store). Either one would skew results to favor larger annual sales when it comes to processing task within store. You simply have more people on hand.

Still trying to figure this one out. I currently have my team backstock transition. If we flex anything, we store tie it.

That is the correct way to do it.

Our inventory system is based on merchandise being located. Flexing and over pushing just throws throws everything out of wack. It also screws up the queue when the system cycles and re orders.

That is the correct way to do it.

Our inventory system is based on merchandise being located. Flexing and over pushing just throws throws everything out of wack. It also screws up the queue when the system cycles and re orders.

So for stationery, for example, as each product came in before the transition, the person pushing it would store tie it to wherever they pushed it? And then after untie all those products? That could potentially be hundreds of dpci's.

So for stationery, for example, as each product came in before the transition, the person pushing it would store tie it to wherever they pushed it? And then after untie all those products? That could potentially be hundreds of dpci's.
That is what is happening. I still find Q4 product store tied all over the store. If this is the case then yes it's probably potentially hundreds of dpci's. It should be backstocked. But whose responsible for that backstock?

Last edited:

Yes you do. You scan everything for that order and label spits out, you scan hold location, toss it in the waco/shelf - done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back