New vacation policy?

So no more banked holiday hours? Are they going to pay 2.5 times pay then? They added a holiday so now it’s time to take something away.

So no more banked holiday hours? Are they going to pay 2.5 times pay then? They added a holiday so now it’s time to take something away.
As someone who works in a store.... kinda. You get paid for 8 hours on the holiday whether or not you work. And time and a half for the holiday if you work. So if you work it is basically 2.5 times pay...

The rumor of the first half was going around but the legacy portion is news to me.
Service anniversery as in your hire date i assume right?
Honestly this whole situation is frustrating. Especially for the A keys, they just lost 2 weeks of (potential) vacation.
By the way for those who dont know they are also getting rid of paid holiday. I presume we are getting extra vacation days to make up for it.

The rumor of the first half was going around but the legacy portion is news to me.
Service anniversery as in your hire date i assume right?
Honestly this whole situation is frustrating. Especially for the A keys, they just lost 2 weeks of (potential) vacation.
By the way for those who dont know they are also getting rid of paid holiday. I presume we are getting extra vacation days to make up for it.
Correct. So if you’ve been there 5 years instead of 3 weeks 4 days ph and 4 hours well being, you will get 4 weeks 4 hours vaca. A subtle way to screw you.

What does the legacy part mean?
Means if you are an existing TM they are giving you a grace period under the old system. If you were hired March last year you have until March before you switch over.
If you were hired in November you get all the way until November.
That how i interpret it.

Correct. So if you’ve been there 5 years instead of 3 weeks 4 days ph and 4 hours well being, you will get 4 weeks 4 hours vaca. A subtle way to screw you.

Where is anywhere stated how many vac hours you will get to replace your PH? I assumed you get the same amount? So just instead of accruing 48 PH hours after 5 yrs, it will now be 48 vac hours?

Edit: For A keys...

Also noticed it says you get holiday pay according to avg hrs? Minor hit there for me since I avged about 34.5 hrs on a 36 hr key last yr (due to all the VNS). I wonder if they will pay over shift length if you are averaging say 38 hr on a 36 key? (Or say 42 hrs on a 4X10 key)? Doubt it.

Also why saying everyone will call in on holidays? I assume the same policy of having to work day before, after, and of holiday (with the caveats, last half etc) to get the holiday pay will apply?

On the positive no more screwing around with well being time? It'll just be 4 more hours standard vac?

Overall no more bank and IF true per my question above, losing 1 PH day on the A keys are decent hits. Too be fair if you get that much more holiday pay, than you can just personally budget to take more VNS later (in other words, get extra $200 holiday pay, means just allow yourself to take an extra VNS day (or several days of leaving a couple hrs early etc) down the line, and the money works out the same as if you took vac). However Vac is always better than VNS since it's preplanned rather than ad hoc so it's still a loss. And while I am, a lot of people probably aren't disciplined to budget like this.

Also as of now we can backfill OT (if sent home etc) with PH and get time and a half. While I never did this lots do. How is that effected? Or did they already end that policy?

Where is anywhere stated how many vac hours you will get to replace your PH? I assumed you get the same amount? So just instead of accruing 48 PH hours after 5 yrs, it will now be 48 vac hours?

Edit: For A keys...

Also noticed it says you get holiday pay according to avg hrs? Minor hit there for me since I avged about 34.5 hrs on a 36 hr key last yr (due to all the VNS). I wonder if they will pay over shift length if you are averaging say 38 hr on a 36 key? (Or say 42 hrs on a 4X10 key)? Doubt it.

Also why saying everyone will call in on holidays? I assume the same policy of having to work day before, after, and of holiday (with the caveats, last half etc) to get the holiday pay will apply?

On the positive no more screwing around with well being time? It'll just be 4 more hours standard vac?

Overall no more bank and IF true per my question above, losing 1 PH day on the A keys are decent hits. Too be fair if you get that much more holiday pay, than you can just personally budget to take more VNS later (in other words, get extra $200 holiday pay, means just allow yourself to take an extra VNS day (or several days of leaving a couple hrs early etc) down the line, and the money works out the same as if you took vac). However Vac is always better than VNS since it's preplanned rather than ad hoc so it's still a loss. And while I am, a lot of people probably aren't disciplined to budget like this.

Also as of now we can backfill OT (if sent home etc) with PH and get time and a half. While I never did this lots do. How is that effected? Or did they already end that policy?
They said they were putting all vacation into one bucket. So for b key tm’s with 5 years in, they will get a total of 164 hours of vacation.
You will still be able to backfill ot with vacation, but it will be straight time instead of time and a half.
I say people will call out because there is no incentive. If I work b key and I am supposed to work thanksgiving, they will pay time and a half for the time you are there. You won’t have to work the day before or after. That rule is in place now but pertains to the banked vaca day.

For instance, if you work thanksgiving and call out Black Friday, they will still give you time and a half for what you worked. Another example, if you just call out on thanksgiving and backfill with vacation time, you are losing like $135. I would take that any time for family time.

They said they were putting all vacation into one bucket. So for b key tm’s with 5 years in, they will get a total of 164 hours of vacation.
You will still be able to backfill ot with vacation, but it will be straight time instead of time and a half.
I say people will call out because there is no incentive. If I work b key and I am supposed to work thanksgiving, they will pay time and a half for the time you are there. You won’t have to work the day before or after. That rule is in place now but pertains to the banked vaca day.

For instance, if you work thanksgiving and call out Black Friday, they will still give you time and a half for what you worked. Another example, if you just call out on thanksgiving and backfill with vacation time, you are losing like $135. I would take that any time for family time.

Wont they have the ability to take away your 12 hrs holiday pay for calling in day /of/before/after though? It doesn't just pertain to banked vaca hrs. I'd bet.

By calling in if I understand correctly and if my above thesis is correct, you will essentially lose 2.5X a day's pay (the .5 OT bonus for working on holiday(.5X), the days holiday bonus pay (1X), and the normal day pay (1X)) by calling in on a holiday. Very steep price. Some people of course will still do it but the incentive should be plenty to keep most there.

They said they were putting all vacation into one bucket. So for b key tm’s with 5 years in, they will get a total of 164 hours of vacation

Again where do they actually say this though? Say that the # of vac hrs you'd get as a 5 yr B key TM is exactly 164?

I could see it happening because it would be a sneaky way to pinch a penny, but I just havent seen that confirmed.

Last edited:
So will the entire shift that starts on a holiday still be holiday pay or will you only get say 6 hours if you work a2.

Just gets better and better.
We always say it can't get any worse but target always finds a way.

Years ago you got to choose if you wanted to bank the holiday or take the pay.
Said it was because of the irs which everyone thought was bs.

I'm sure this is to do with the fact that mandatory overtime will be on 11 months a year from now on and don't want people to use the ph loopholes.

Last edited:
Wont they have the ability to take away your 12 hrs holiday pay for calling in day /of/before/after though? It doesn't just pertain to banked vaca hrs. I'd bet.

By calling in if I understand correctly and if my above thesis is correct, you will essentially lose 2.5X a day's pay (the .5 OT bonus for working on holiday(.5X), the days holiday bonus pay (1X), and the normal day pay (1X)) by calling in on a holiday. Very steep price. Some people of course will still do it but the incentive should be plenty to keep most there.

Again where do they actually say this though? Say that the # of vac hrs you'd get as a 5 yr B key TM is exactly 164?

I could see it happening because it would be a sneaky way to pinch a penny, but I just havent seen that confirmed.
The communication isn’t very clear at all. So you are thinking that they are paying you 1.5x for working the holiday and then 1x your average hours, rather than give you vacation time?

That wouldn’t be horrible, but if that is the case then they need to communicate that better. Literally everyone at my dc took it as they were just taking away the vaca bank and you would just get 1.5x pay for they day. If that scenario is the case, they wouldn’t have leverage to make you work the last half before/fist half after a holiday.

There was a different email as well that talked about the “simplified” vacation and how it was all migrating to vacation from ph/wb/vaca. Again, not super clear with details but that is what I gathered from the other email.

So will the entire shift that starts on a holiday still be holiday pay or will you only get say 6 hours if you work a2.

Just gets better and better.
We always say it can't get any worse but target always finds a way.

Years ago you got to choose if you wanted to bank the holiday or take the pay.
Said it was because of the irs which everyone thought was bs.

I'm sure this is to do with the fact that mandatory overtime will be on 11 months a year from now on and don't want people to use the ph loopholes.
Nothing has changed that I have seen. Days begin and end at 6am. We had label printers come in the day after Christmas and got 2 hrs 1.5 and 12 hrs vaca

It doesn't take effect until February I believe.

Once again the email wasn't super clear. But what I got was that you now get double time and a half for the holiday. So you get time and half for working and then also get it paid out to you.

Our SD and HR both said in exact words "this is what we think but this communication is terrible and we'll let you know when we know more."

Once again the email wasn't super clear. But what I got was that you now get double time and a half for the holiday. So you get time and half for working and then also get it paid out to you.

Our SD and HR both said in exact words "this is what we think but this communication is terrible and we'll let you know when we know more."
That's how it is for me. Etls bank a holiday, TLs get paid 8 hours for the day whether they worked or not and if they work it's 1.5 times pay as well.

I wish we had the ability to bank a holiday but the extra 8 hours on my paycheck is nice...

So let's use a round number lets say I make a $25 pay base and I work July 4th I would be getting my base pay doubled plus 12.50 so 62.50 for 12 hrs. Am I understanding that correctly?

For a company the size of target that is, frankly, ridiculous. You can’t send an email to every team member as vague as it was. All you will get is confusion and pissed of team members.
Target 🎯 for the win.

So let's use a round number lets say I make a $25 pay base and I work July 4th I would be getting my base pay doubled plus 12.50 so 62.50 for 12 hrs. Am I understanding that correctly?
Yes, plus your shift differential.

Edit: The math gets a little fuzzy if you’re working OT on a holiday because the shift lengths will be different. 90% of people only worked OT on holidays to bank the hours anyway though, so I wouldn’t see that happening nearly as much now that there’s no benefit.

Last edited:
Thinking about it i am now curious, previously even if you only worked 1 hour you banked the whole day.
Now, do you immediately get the full day of pay even if you only sign up for a half or VLE early?

Back