New with some questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
I just had my first day on the register and it went pretty good. I was trained by a really nice cashier for about 15 minutes and then was put on my own. During my first 10 minutes I had a few questions, but after that my shift ran pretty smoothly.

I just had a couple questions that I thought I'd try to get cleared before my next shift. COUPONS. Coupons seem like a big hassle. Is there any advice anyone can give me about handling coupons? It seems like a lot of different prompts came up during the scanning of various coupons. I can't remember the exact wording but there was one that said something like "the coupon is already in the purchase" and then there was another that I can't really remember, but I would just hit "accept anyway".

My other question is about video games. I only sold one video game on my shift and I scanned the person's ID, but it still wasn't working, so a TL came over and entered his code and then took the casing off the game. When selling a video game, do I always need a TL or can I take the casing off myself?

Thanks in advance for your help! I'm really excited to work at Target! :)

It could be "item not found" or "one or more items missing".
Watch it when you hit "accept anyway". Many coupon abusers make a bee-line for newbies like you because they'll attempt to intimidate you into accepting those coupons. You ring everything up & bag it, right? Then they slap down a large stack of coupons. They put it in the basket hoping you won't go through the bags checking to make sure those coupons match. If you do, they'll act like you're accusing them of theft & feign offense.
Chances are, you took coupons that scanned but probably didn't match. Like the $4 off for an Airwick starter kit that was used on a $1.97 refill (and, yeh, it took $4 OFF - not $1.97). They'll have items that they DON'T have coupons for to cover the excess amts taken off by coupons because we don't give $$ back, we adjust the coupon down to the item cost so they get it free - nothing more. Next time, call your GSTL over to assist you when that happens 'cause if you keep hitting that "accept anyway" button, You'll get a lecture from Assets Protection.

Ok, good to know, thanks! I didn't hit "accept anyway" too many times. There was just this one woman with two kids who seemed very stressed. She was really nice and apologetic and had about ten coupons, so there were a few that I hit "accept anyway" and a couple that I asked about. She had over 100 items and those guests were very intimidating that day haha. I'm really excited to get to the point where I'm used to everything and have confidence while cashieering.

Welcome to The Break Room!

Next time, call your GSTL over to assist you when that happens 'cause if you keep hitting that "accept anyway" button, You'll get a lecture from Assets Protection.

When I made that mistake, the GSTL was the one who gave me the lecture. The lady's Red Card kept getting denied, so GSTL brought her over to Guest Service to see what the issue was, and she later yelled at me about the coupons (needless to say, I'm glad she's not a GSTL anymore). Yeah, some guests can be intimidating especially when you're still learning. I would talk to your GSTL/GSAs and your trainer for advice on how to deal with coupon issues so you can be better prepared.

Welcome to The Break Room!

Thanks guys! :)

When I made that mistake, the GSTL was the one who gave me the lecture. The lady's Red Card kept getting denied, so GSTL brought her over to Guest Service to see what the issue was, and she later yelled at me about the coupons (needless to say, I'm glad she's not a GSTL anymore). Yeah, some guests can be intimidating especially when you're still learning. I would talk to your GSTL/GSAs and your trainer for advice on how to deal with coupon issues so you can be better prepared.

Thanks, yeah I'll have to ask my GSTL or GSA about it.

Watch it when you hit "accept anyway". Many coupon abusers make a bee-line for newbies like you because they'll attempt to intimidate you into accepting those coupons. You ring everything up & bag it, right? Then they slap down a large stack of coupons. They put it in the basket hoping you won't go through the bags checking to make sure those coupons match. If you do, they'll act like you're accusing them of theft & feign offense.
Chances are, you took coupons that scanned but probably didn't match. Like the $4 off for an Airwick starter kit that was used on a $1.97 refill (and, yeh, it took $4 OFF - not $1.97). They'll have items that they DON'T have coupons for to cover the excess amts taken off by coupons because we don't give $$ back, we adjust the coupon down to the item cost so they get it free - nothing more. Next time, call your GSTL over to assist you when that happens 'cause if you keep hitting that "accept anyway" button, You'll get a lecture from Assets Protection.

This, I lost my name tag and was wearing a "New Team Member" tag. The guest kept trying to tell me it was a 10 dollar off coupon as I typed 5 dollars in for the coupon, once they said I can call someone else over they were fine with that. :)

That happened to me. Twice. Because of the same guest. About a year apart. I had no idea but once AP showed me the tape (well, picture) it all came rushing back.

Welcome to the forum!

As others have said the couponers usually come to the new team members or people they do not recognize in hopes of getting more money off then they should. If you have any problems get your GSTL to assist you.

As for the video games, if there are any spider wrapped items a GSTL must come over to take the wrap off with a magnet key..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back