Archived No idea retail sucked this much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, there!

So I was thinking over this question and realized it could be taken as insulting. I did come up with an answer and think it is a good place for those who like change, really laid back, like to be in the know of the latest products, fast paced. The responses are pretty brutal, especially when most people on this site are complaining about working at Target. Thank you for your responses. I was hoping to see those who like it respond with why they like it, not retailiate against a perceived insult, but to each his own. You guys own it and wish you the best. I’m a self-proclaimed sissy, lol, and I’m out. :)

Thanks to those that gave positive insight into why you like it....and add people who like to work late nights.

"It sucks"..."it's horrible". Target is fine. It's a job. Better than some, worse than others. You can't do whatever you want all the time. What exactly is so terrible about it in your short experience? Maybe it's just the position you're in?

I applied at a place years ago and the person interviewing me said she wont hire anyone who's never worked retail before because it builds a good work ethic...that is such a true statement.

Seriously I wouldn't hire anyone without a couple years of retail or food service experience. Both those jobs require patience and willpower many just can't hold for more than a few months.

I've only worked foodservice and retail. @EchoFoxtrot are other jobs easier/ better? Now I'm wondering if I've just always mistakenly assumed that all jobs are like this.

Last edited:
Hi, there!

I worked retail some years ago as a PT while teaching and LOVED it. It was only clothes and a small store. Retail like Target sucks big time. I don’t see why anyone would want to make a career of it; it’s horrible.

Thanks for shopping with us.
It primarily depends on the team and leaders you're working with. I worked retail before I joined Target also and it was a sucky place because my managers were a-holes.
There are some conflicts at times but it's been a great place to work because we have leadership that communicates (the best they can) with us. Sometimes the guests are terrible but for the most part, it's not that bad.

To each their own. I worked office jobs for years and can no longer stand the thought of sitting at a desk with a phone and a computer 8 hours a day. Retail has its own plusses and minuses, as everything else does.
As to the complaining, yes sometimes we do. But who else will better understand what we're complaining about? I appreciate knowing that when I gripe about the new whatever, other people will actually get it.

Yea, I wasn't one of those... but nice of you for reposting that!

I've only worked foodservice and retail. @EchoFoxtrot are other jobs easier/ better? Now I'm wondering if I've just always mistakenly assumed that all jobs are like this.

Short Answer: Food service and retail are the lowest on the totem pole of jobs. There are a few other jobs like hotel clerk and such that are similar...car wash attendant etc... google alternatives if you are not familiar with the job market. Good luck. I remember the first job I got I had no help from anyone, not even my parents. Was a crazy experience. Moving jobs is very similar. So much chaos. '

Long Answer:
Better jobs require a different type of person so my experience is limited to my friends (mostly). I just know that I'd rather do retail as it is because my leaders appreciate me enough to make me work for basically full time even though it's not always a 40 hour work week. Not all jobs are like retail and honestly there are a TON of jobs with a crazy load of down time where you don't do shit and I was part of that industry for years but that shit is boring. You literally fall asleep at work during that shit. Makes the day longer mentally. If you are a lazy ass though...do your best in school and get that college in...some of those jobs are so chill after you get things handled. Good luck! Edit: Nothing wrong with being lazy just saying it's possible to make good money and have a shit load of down time while being paid. If you earn your position fairly and you can get along without doing much..by all means beat the system. I am not jealous enough to hate that.

and I title this post as "Fuck Being An Adult" thanks I'm signing pictures in the foyer. ^_^

Last edited:
Hi, there!

I worked retail some years ago as a PT while teaching and LOVED it. It was only clothes and a small store. Retail like Target sucks big time. I don’t see why anyone would want to make a career of it; it’s horrible.

Thanks for shopping with us.

Masochism is the practice of seeking pain because it is pleasurable, named for Leopold von Sacher-Masoch from Lviv. It may also refer to: TES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back