No More Case Stock

Are any of the stores going ladderless and/or told no more case stock enhance SFS stores? Given that we're not just stocking our store but stocking for hundreds of online orders I don't know if my store could ever convert to ladderless or no case stock.

I wouldn't mind, personally, I hate having to haul bulky, heavy things up and down ladders or spend time dealing with the Wave or whatever, but I don't see how it could be possible at a store that's already pretty high volume, plus enhanced SFS, to boot.

When my store went through the process of no case packs they scanned every box before opening to see if we could send anything back. When we get trucks, after we have pushed everything to the floor if we have multiple case packs still left that need to detrashed/backstock we scan them to see if they can go back. Basically we keep what is projected sales and we will need. From my understanding most of the stores in my district and nearby districts are running it this way.

Store is 70% ladderless. Some areas in the store are just not meant to be ladderless.

Are any of the stores going ladderless and/or told no more case stock enhance SFS stores? Given that we're not just stocking our store but stocking for hundreds of online orders I don't know if my store could ever convert to ladderless or no case stock.

I wouldn't mind, personally, I hate having to haul bulky, heavy things up and down ladders or spend time dealing with the Wave or whatever, but I don't see how it could be possible at a store that's already pretty high volume, plus enhanced SFS, to boot.
Agreed. My store isn't high volume, but we do a ton of SFS. Most of the year, we can do pretty well with keeping back stock on lower shelves, but 4th quarter, it's stacked up there really, really high.
Are there stores that still care about mispicks?
My store does. At least it's something that's mentioned in my review every year, along with reporting empty packages, because I notice this stuff.
Funny thing about a recent mispick - had a case where the label said body wash, but the box was way small. Nope, it was hand soap. Ok, scan the label and report the mispick. The very next box, it was reversed. Simple error of the labels getting swapped. Of all the mispicks I've seen over the years, I've never had it turn out that way.

I've found pulls to be entirely inconsistent on whether they want me to pull the case stock or individuals. Pulling pillows tonight, frex, half of them wanted me to pull 12 to fill 2 slots, the other have had me breaking apart casepacks for 1 or 2. Do. not. get.

Mispicks are the bane of my existence for a while, they sent me so much good and gather fruit pouches that had been mislabeled, now I have like 80 of one kind that I'm never going to get rid of because they kept trying to resupply the flavor they kept slapping on the same wrong one.

Grouping means what?
Locations in the backroom are grouped into different types of locations:

Lowercase: Bottom casepack locations
Open stock: Waco’s or Sometimes open shelves for things like shoes or larger items that fit in light duty (depends on your profile)
Uppercase: Higher up casepack locations
Remote: Steel locations, risers and containers

Lower/upper case locations are casepack locations and will always ask you to pull the entire case even if they only need a couple. The system does this in order for you to properly detrash the case and backstock the remaining items in an open stock location since it’s no longer an entire case. Proper Grouping is also important for pathing when you pull.

Last edited:
Omg can my store do this picking would be like 100 times faster and pushing without having to unpack stuff from the case pacl

Less stuff on trucks? That means DC has more time to send electronics more books! Double! Triple! A whole truck of Rachel Hollis!!!

Locations in the backroom are group into different types of locations:

Open stock: Waco’s or Sometimes open shelves for things like shoes or larger items that fit in light duty (depends on your profile)

Lower/upper case locations are casepack locations and will always ask you to pull the entire case even if they only need a couple. The system does this in order for you to properly detrash the case and backstock the remaining items in an open stock location since it’s no longer an entire case. Proper Grouping is also important for pathing when you pull.
My backroom aisles are grouped like what you said and we back stock following this direction. But some people (May be new hires) back stock open cases high up or in different fill groups. I try to fix them as much as possible. While I do one for ones first it makes me pull all open stock and may be the cases on the bottom shelf first and after all open stock is pulled it starts the case packs . Finally if any of my fill groups are back stocked in wrong areas those comes up. But I noticed sometimes even if there are enough open stock for a dpci it chooses not to pull that and pulls a case stock instead.

My backroom aisles are grouped like what you said and we back stock following this direction. But some people (May be new hires) back stock open cases high up or in different fill groups. I try to fix them as much as possible. While I do one for ones first it makes me pull all open stock and may be the cases on the bottom shelf first and after all open stock is pulled it starts the case packs . Finally if any of my fill groups are back stocked in wrong areas those comes up. But I noticed sometimes even if there are enough open stock for a dpci it chooses not to pull that and pulls a case stock instead.
It should send you to pull open stock first , lower case and last is upper case .

It should send you to pull open stock first , lower case and last is upper case .
No, now it pulls Open Stock + Lower Stock at the same time. Then uppercase.

Used to be down:
- Down the aisle: Open Stock
- Back to the beginning: Lower stock
- Back to the end: Upper stock

Which I understand the efficiency for the newer method, but its frustrating because the old method made throwing boxes so much easier.

We were told today that we are no longer going to have case stock. With the exception of bulk, seasonal, and transition merchandise, everything is to be de-trashed and all locations will now be open stock. Any other stores getting this directive?
We are working on our section of the backroom now. Lord only knows where all the beverages are going to go.

We had already moved all of GRC2 and GRC1, and my GRC2 man caf was still over 100 items.

We are working on our section of the backroom now. Lord only knows where all the beverages are going to go.

We had already moved all of GRC2 and GRC1, and my GRC2 man caf was still over 100 items.
We're drowning in BEV and SNCK, I have no idea how those are going to go caseless anytime soon. They sent way too much for the new year reset

We're drowning in BEV and SNCK, I have no idea how those are going to go caseless anytime soon. They sent way too much for the new year reset
Well, it worked...we purged everything and got caseless so far in all but one aisle, and we are finishing that up today.

My TL told that there is no plans for a case less backroom yet. But some changes are coming that helps backroom to be more organized. Sounds good. But don’t know when we are going to start that.

Locations in the backroom are group into different types of locations:

There is zero backroom maintenance or knowledge now. Grouping? How many of the DBO'S at my store know what grouping is? Zero. There's no one to teach them because all that knowledge left.

There is zero backroom maintenance or knowledge now. Grouping? How many of the DBO'S at my store know what grouping is? Zero. There's no one to teach them because all that knowledge left.
oi. *waves Hand*

still here M8 ain't got me yet gov'nor

all really horrible jokes aside. there is all of three actual backroom trained tm left that here in hell pit #156. this whole no case stock nonsense should just be called "ways to increase outdates and unlocated merchandise in the backroom."

further aside can Target come up with a new and different way of doing things that isn't 85% utter shite?

Back