No more insurance for part time team members!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look for hour cuts to make sure as many people as physically possible fall below 32 hours too.

I can't believe any HR person would sit there and purposely cut peoples hours to just under the 32 hour mark so they would lose their insurance.
Or Spot would be stupid enough to send out instructions to do such a thing, for that matter.

What will happen is they will cut the hours to each store by just enough and make the recommendation that a fair solution would be to spread the pain around.
Rather than cut one department, just shave a little off everybody.
That sounds fair doesn't it?

I was already contemplating going without Targets insurance this year but this just makes my decision final. Let's hope this broke student doesn't need anything serious done this next year... :'(

This isn't just spot, other companies had announced the same thing a while back. In the end you will probrably will be better since you will be eligible for medicaid or subsidies. It could be that you will have better coverage for less that what spot was offering.

Heard this today. STL and ETL HR called everyone in in big groups to go over this today. So glad I have insurance elsewhere.

I have a feeling these close calls with hours (whether you still have coverage or you don't) are not really coincidental.

I agree it just sucks to think of all those time i was being nice to other team members by giving them some of my days so they could pay there bills.

As much as I want to put all the blame on Target, some has to go to the Obama administration and its ACA. Analysts predicted that companies would do this to their employees. Why offer insurance when its the law to obtain it yourself if its not there at the employer level. That alone is a green light for employers to not offer insurance. Wait and see what is still there for the ones who can keep their insurance. Higher premiums and less coverage like every year.

The $$ they are giving to TMs that lose their insurance is not going to help much.

As much as I want to put all the blame on Target, some has to go to the Obama administration and its ACA. Analysts predicted that companies would do this to their employees. Why offer insurance when its the law to obtain it yourself if its not there at the employer level. That alone is a green light for employers to not offer insurance. Wait and see what is still there for the ones who can keep their insurance. Higher premiums and less coverage like every year.

The $$ they are giving to TMs that lose their insurance is not going to help much.

So my question is, if the companies start acting like smegheads why do we blame the law?

At what point are the people in charge of these companies going to say, "hey, you know all that BS we spout about giving back to the community? Well, we're going to do that by giving everybody who works for us decent health insurance. Here's a little sign about that we can put in the case by Guest Services."

If you look up info on Obama's ACA, it defines Full Time as anyone who works 30 or more hours per week. How can Target define Full Time as 32 hours when the GOVERNMENT says it is 30?? I am going to be questioning someone at Target about this!
STL told us today that 31.5 is what Target & the government agreed upon for full time designation.

So my question is, if the companies start acting like smegheads why do we blame the law?

At what point are the people in charge of these companies going to say, "hey, you know all that BS we spout about giving back to the community? Well, we're going to do that by giving everybody who works for us decent health insurance. Here's a little sign about that we can put in the case by Guest Services."

Hence why I am putting blame on both. Upper management is in a role to deliver. To us, as well to the bulk shareholders. The measly % that you or I put into the 401-K does not make us a significant shareholder. The large shareholder wants a certain return on their investment. Lower expenses = higher return on investment = the banker or investment firm with 100 million shares is happy. The little people are replaceable. Large investment brokers are not.

could someone fill me in in the benefit of having insurance thru target? i have been there for almost ten years and have never utilized the benefit because it was always so expensive. do they pay for part of it? trying to fully grasp the impact for my team, so please enlighten me ;)

This is the first I've heard of this. No mention of it that I know of at my store. WTH?

I don't think I would know about it yet if it weren't for this place. Apparently they've only told a couple of people at my store and were told to keep it under wraps while they pull in people in small groups and talk to them. And then I came in and blew that plan out of the water...

After the ETL-HR and I verified that I was now full-time, the conversation in the TSC went like this:

Me: It's all good...I'm barely full-time.
TL: Good, go ahead and calm down and shake it off before you go back to work.
Me: (I still had my coat on) Oh, it's fine, I came in early to ask them about this, so I'm good.
TM 1: What? How in the world did you know about this if you weren't working?
Me: *shrug* I know everything.
TM 2: Facebook
TM 1: Oooh, it had to have been (another TM) she never can keep her mouth shut about anything, she can't keep doing this, blah, blah, blah.
(I let them rant a bit and get it out of their system)
Me: No, it wasn't that TM.
TM 1: I'm blaming her anyway.

I feel your pain spot kicked me in the stomach a year ago because I wasn't making enough hrs and dropped my insurance so this year I finally signed up for obamacare. Thankfully I didn't have any health issues!

Well, then, the lack of insurance for those under 31.5 hours goes towards a good cause.

After talking with a friend, I figured out why we are having this discrepancy between the 31.5 and 32 hours. I have a friend who works in computer programming for benefits and such. Apparently these programs do not handle fractional hours well...so to that end, it is all rounded. So 31.5 rounds to 32. As long as whatever you have can be rounded to 32 (or above) you should be eligible for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back