Archived No one wants to be me

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as the title states no other TL in the store wants to be me. I am a gstl. I am also a Senior so I have LOD shifts as well ( I don't mind these, they can be interesting).

I always hear TL complain about all their sales planners, workload for seasonal, truck push, stray, zone, among a couple other things and I always stop them in their tracks by saying "well if it's so bad why don't we swap!?" To which the response is always "yaaaa nevermimd". I feel like the gstl has more tasks than the other TLs plus having to deal with anything the guests perceive as wrong in any area of the store. So if the TL in infants didn't have their team zone right and something is off, I get yelled at. If food team doesn't do a good job in freshness, I get crapped on and no one seems to care really. Everyone is always "to busy" to help me with my sales planner pulls even though I can't leave the front lanes to do the pulls. "Have a cashier do them" you might say? Oh that'd be awesome except I barely have enough cashiers to match traffic and end up needing backup anyways.

Maybe it's different elsewhere but in my store no one wants to be me. Even my ETL GE said no thanks when I offered to take his LOD shifts and he could do gstl because he was complaining about LOD! :(

End rant.

So as the title states no other TL in the store wants to be me. I am a gstl. I am also a Senior so I have LOD shifts as well ( I don't mind these, they can be interesting).

I always hear TL complain about all their sales planners, workload for seasonal, truck push, stray, zone, among a couple other things and I always stop them in their tracks by saying "well if it's so bad why don't we swap!?" To which the response is always "yaaaa nevermimd". I feel like the gstl has more tasks than the other TLs plus having to deal with anything the guests perceive as wrong in any area of the store. So if the TL in infants didn't have their team zone right and something is off, I get yelled at. If food team doesn't do a good job in freshness, I get crapped on and no one seems to care really. Everyone is always "to busy" to help me with my sales planner pulls even though I can't leave the front lanes to do the pulls. "Have a cashier do them" you might say? Oh that'd be awesome except I barely have enough cashiers to match traffic and end up needing backup anyways.

Maybe it's different elsewhere but in my store no one wants to be me. Even my ETL GE said no thanks when I offered to take his LOD shifts and he could do gstl because he was complaining about LOD! :(

End rant.
Working at the front I get what you are saying. Pretty much anyone that works the front has to deal with the couple examples you stated.

My observations:

I can't say that non-gstls have less tasks to do than gstls. However, I do think gstls get more crap than the other tls, and that's probably why not too msny people want to be a gstl. Come to think of it, on average i say gstls don't last as long as other tls.

Last edited:
@SrGSTL86 dealing with guests I definitely do NOT envy your positions. The times as you have stated is probably when the guests are upset about something. Everyone else throughout the store, probably without the exception of "Guest service", have to "interact" with a guest for a small amount of time. Guest service and you however, have to literally "Hear their ENTIRE life fuckin story"!:confused: Probably why no one else would trade with you.

I feel gstl is overrated. I mean they usually follow corporate script when it comes to customer issues. Calling for backups , 2+2=4 yupty do

I feel gstl is overrated. I mean they usually follow corporate script when it comes to customer issues. Calling for backups , 2+2=4 yupty do
Because flow or backroom or any other position isn't? It may be 'easy' but it's certainly not something everyone can handle. I love the trolling. @Planosss you always find ways to ripple these threads

My observations:

I can't say that non-gstls have less tasks to do than gstls. However, I do think gstls get more crap than the other tls, and that's probably why not too msny people want to be a gstl. Come to think of it, on average i say gstls don't last as long as other tls.

Flow TL is harder than GSTL, bar none. How many times have you heard "Team we need a backup on flow, so we can clear the floor of dangerous hazards and fill the shelves to make money for us to get paid). You at least, can call for help.

I remember a former salesfloor TL, who was previously a GSTL, who was asked to be a GSTL again. His response? He said, "I don't want to be a GSTL."

Flow TL is harder than GSTL, bar none. How many times have you heard "Team we need a backup on flow, so we can clear the floor of dangerous hazards and fill the shelves to make money for us to get paid). You at least, can call for help.
I think CTL ( market) is one of the hardest/toughest leadership role in the store. The responsibilities are immense. From dealing with vendors (which no other tl does) to ensuring food safety by the way of FIFO and upholding other food safety standards. I know target's grocery program is pretty old, but its not a cookie cutter program. Especially in the pfresh section of the market where a TL has to make constant adjustments to accommodate vendors and corporate mandates and demands. In our store E2E is being rolled out in Market first and its a challenge getting all TM's on the same page and getting the job done.

A GSTL simply does whats on the paper, implementing and restating company policy.whats so hard about that?

As far as the troll comment from above poster. Have some dignity and shame. If you know what those qualities are.

lol The GSTL does not have the most takes.

Flow TL/BRTL and HLTMs have way more shit to

GSTLs pretty much just either say yes or no based on policy. That or annoy everyone by screaming for backup which is why the other TLs don't want to be you because they don't want to be hated by everyone on channel 1

The CTL has it easy in my store. Most venders deal with receiving or ETL SF in my store. Flow and BRTL get TMs to help push or BS their shit

I mean no offense, but I think GSTL may be the easiest role at this point. They've taken away so many responsibilities from GSTL company wide. It's unfair, imo, as a Food TL, to be in the same pay bracket as GSTL.

They get stuck with a lot of shit work, cut them some slack they are like market PA's if they do their job right. They never really stop moving. Not a chance in hell do I want that job.. I would rather LOCU and Re-stow the entire freezer in one shot than be a GSTL..

Leadership in general I personally think is difficult. I honestly don't think any one workcenter is "easier" than the other.. especially granted both Front end and Flow have vastly 20 plus team members to supervise. Some just do it "better" than others. If you have a "solid" team you will have success. On the flip side, if you have a crappy team, Shitstorm city. To be true to the thread though, we can "speculate" how your job is @SrGSTL86, unless any one of us actually has/had the "pleasure" of being a GSTL, we can't "see" or "feel" your pain. I too have seen GSTL's get burned out. I also have seen a few make it look like a day at the beach. Team+GSTL=Result

I echo the OPs sentiments. I can't even get an LOD, ETL, or TL to break me for a meal when the mid calls out. Here is the thing, GSTL wouldn't be hard in low traffic store. In a high traffic store it's is one of the most stressful positions ever. My store happens to be extremely high volume.

So to me it can be the easiest position and it can also be the hardest position depending on the traffic of the store. Every leader in my building is scared of being a GSTL.

Flo and BR TL? We are e2e so we don't have those? And what exactly do they have to do that we don't? I set all my own pogs, have to do all my own pulls, work out all the candy, do all checklane fills. Plus all the guest garbage that comes with being a gstl. And no, you don't just get to say yes or no based on policy and walk away. And the fact that you say the gstl is aggravating because they have to call for backup means you may be a reason no one wants to do the job. Backup is a priority function of every position in the store. In fact according to my DTL, group TL, and STL guest service is the most important piece of the entire store. All The vendor stuff is handled by a receiving TM at our store so the CTL doesn't really deal with that here. I guess each store of different but some of talks gstls sound like they got a cushy position.....

lol The GSTL does not have the most takes.

Flow TL/BRTL and HLTMs have way more shit to

GSTLs pretty much just either say yes or no based on policy. That or annoy everyone by screaming for backup which is why the other TLs don't want to be you because they don't want to be hated by everyone on channel 1

The CTL has it easy in my store. Most venders deal with receiving or ETL SF in my store. Flow and BRTL get TMs to help push or BS their shit

If that's all your GSTL is expected to do then your store sucks. GSTLs have to do sales planners, they usually have the largest team so they have to manage more team members without the luxury of getting time off the floor, push, fill, sort everyone's reshop, drive conversion, push surveys, get yelled at for FF mistakes, and deal with the angry guest all while trying to do their tasks.

Like every position, it varies depending on the store. Personally I feel like all positions are hard in their own way. For me if my workload consisted of mainly tasks and I didn't have to deal with guest 24/7 it'll be an easier day at the office for me. I'm currently trying to switch departments.

Nobody ever wants to swap jobs with me.

aaf_cry.gif

They get stuck with a lot of shit work, cut them some slack they are like market PA's if they do their job right. They never really stop moving. Not a chance in hell do I want that job.. I would rather LOCU and Re-stow the entire freezer in one shot than be a GSTL..
We've gone through more GSTL's/GSA's than I have fingers in the past two years. Should tell you something about the job.

Flo and BR TL? We are e2e so we don't have those? And what exactly do they have to do that we don't? .
Unload big ass trucks. Pulls off your one spot, pulls your battery pogs, grabs you bags and Get for Guest, makes the hanger bin for the CA, Flexes, SFS, Instocks, Bales, Audits, inventory, does other workcenters work like BS Market or SF, or Pushes Market and One Spot.

You shouldn't be pulling from as a GSTL. Why would you walk way to the back to do that? Also your team isnt bigger than flow. Stocking One Spot and an Endcap is childsplay. A good flow TM does 3 times that before first break.

Seriously, I'd love to be GSTL. People aren't going to hop out of lines cause it's long and I'd tell every guest trying to return their costumes after OCT to fuck off

You got it easy. Just tell everyone to fuck off. When I doing a flex today at the front a guest thought I was GS and asked me if she could return a sweater she got for Christmas

I told her no, she asked was I sure and I said yeah, we don't do that and she left. Front end needs to grow a spine

^ Your ignorant to what they do in the front. If you think it's as easy as just say no to the guest you'll be fired as MyGuest is a huge thing in the company now and you must contact all detractors. Also you didn't mention RedCards, the most annoying thing in the building and as a GSTL you're harassed for getting them.

Umm I'm responsible for my pulls, my CA grabs my bags, and we push one spot. Perhaps it's just your store, because I'm responsible for everything you mentioned and I have to do so while running the front. Therefore, even without the time and inability to step off stage I'm still expected to get it done.

I never like the whole "we have it harder than you" mentality. Fact of the matter is stores run through GSTLs, people who was GSTLs and switched never want to go back, and if you talk to them they tell how their position is less stressful. If it was that easy no one would want to leave the position.

Perhaps it's just me, but physical work is easier to do because it's pure ability than dealing with a constant barrage of guest issues in a company that supports the guest more than their team members. You saying it's as easy as saying fuck off to the guest is humorous and ignorant. You'll be gone as a GSTL quick. It's not about having a spine it's about the company is pro-guest. As soon as they call guest relations and your LOD gets that call you're going to have that "don't make it hard for the guest" coaching.

You're entitled to your opinion. I would say if you find it to be that easy you should take the position as it'll be easy money for you. I'm sure one of the GSTLs there will be more than willing to transition out.

Last edited:
^ Your ignorant to what they do in the front. If you think it's as easy as just say no to the guest you'll be fired as MyGuest is a huge thing in the company now and you must contact all detractors. Also you didn't mention RedCards, the most annoying thing in the building and as a GSTL you're harassed for getting them.

Umm I'm responsible for my pulls, my CA grabs my bags, and we push one spot. Perhaps it's just your store, because I'm responsible for everything you mentioned and I have to do so while running the front. Therefore, even without the time and inability to step off stage I'm still expected to get it done.
I doubt your CA hops on the wave and grabs front steel in the backroom

I also doubt that you leave the front to actually go pull batches. Not only because one spot (buck) isn't even backstocked, but because there's no way to lead the front while a relatively big batch.

You're also not responsible for everything I mentioned. You don't unload the truck, you don't backstock, you don't make bales or sort one spot from the other push.

You probably don't even set one spot alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back