Archived No training at all for FLOW members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been working at target as a morning flow member since last saturday (8 days) and I have some questions about what I should know by now. We received no training outside of how to read a pick label and determine the dpci( but i don't know secondary locations unless i can see them in plain view, not on endcaps). I still don't know how to use the pda to find something for a guest or if ill get a pda anytime soon. I don't know where to go to pick up a shipment, I don't know how to unload the truck, what to do with back stock, i don't know what repacks or instocks are. I am trying to ask questions, but I don't want to seem too eager or something. First can someone please tell me from the beginning lets say a customer comes in and asks where the plungers are. How would I go about finding that if I don't have a pda on me and all I know is it probably is in the home improvement section. And can someone also tell me if I do have a pda how to search for the plunger and tell her an approximate location?

This is a common occurrence on FLOW, mainly because the team tends to focus on speed and efficiency, and not cross-training. The number one thing you can do to improve your knowledge is talk to your TL after an unload(and after your team is clean off the floor preferably) and let them know what you would like to become more familiar with. They may have to schedule you some hours on the sales floor on in the backroom because FLOW is so hectic, but a team member actively trying to improve their knowledge is an asset, not a hindrance.

As for the questions you asked: in my store PDAs are usually only budgeted to a few team members on FLOW because of the limited amount in the store, but ask your TL if you can use one for a day. From the log in go to "All Applications", then "RF Apps". from this screen you can type certain codes to bring you to different functions. Just type the code and hit enter. "NOP" sounds like the one you'll be using to most, as it shows all floor locations include secondary/endcap locations.

Repacks are loose items(not case pack) that are repackaged together at you DC. These are typically "broken out" or sorted into carted so they can be pushed efficiently. Instocks is a Sales Floor team(though they work closely with the Backroom) that identifies and scans outs on the floor so the product can either be moved from the backroom or ordered for the next truck.

As far as the unload process, that's something that with have to be demonstrated by a FLOW trainer or your TL, but don't be afraid to ask, as a FLOW TL I wish more of my team members voiced their concerns, it shows that you are taking interest in your job.

Good luck and welcome!

If you know how to read the location schematic (A21(1)2-1-3), that's a start. If you're not sure whether or not the item has a 2nd location, ask someone for a PDA. It's better to take the time to find 2nd locations than to have the backroom send the backstock back out because it flagged as challenge (the system thinks more can fit on the floor).

To find an item, use Item Search so you can either search by name or by DPCI (preceded by 49). If you don't have a PDA, ask on the walkie. Of course, it never hurts to walk the floor and get to know the departments. When you find the item, you'll most likely remember that it's there (until the next reset, which will confuse everybody).

Since my store's flow team is overnight, most casepacks are bowled out (placed on the floor in their respective aisles), and we have a dedicated vehicle for that area's backstock (flat, tub, or pallet). Once the backstock vehicle is full or the area is finished, the vehicle gets pushed to the backroom and a pink BACKSTOCK clip is put on it. There may be additional vehicles on the floor for the autofills (items pulled from the backroom rather than the truck), so watch out for those. Repack boxes are easy to identify because they have Target branding on them, but they'll have a block number(?) rather than a regular DC label.

I have limited experience with flow (none with the unload process), but I hope this info helps.

Items with a second location should have an asterisk on the label (*). Sometimes there will be an asterisk when there's no second location, mostly on recently taken down items. If that's the case, consider the home the only location and backstock after you fill it. If you see an asterisk, look above and below the item's home and check the endcaps in the immediate area. Try to be familiar with what's in the seasonal area as a lot of items in the store can also be found there depending on the time of year. It's highly probable you won't have a PDA available as you're on flow, so I wouldn't count on it.

A big problem is that flow teams that are not overnight end up taking on sales floor roles. You end up having to perform these roles with equipment and without proper training. It's asinine, I know. Sincerely, ask any questions you have. Flow team is large so accountability isn't all that there. You're probably better than half your team if you take the initiative to learn not only how to do things, but why things are done the way they are.

Welcome to The Break Room.

They expect you to learn it by absorption.
Just by standing in the store you will come to understand how to do it.

Thanks for the response. Today I had a backroom day where I learned how to backstock and read the pda (to some extent). I felt really bad about having to tell the customers I couldn't help them because I'm new (and i wasn't issued a walkie) unless i saw another worker. However, at the very end I new exactly where a something was that a customer wanted and I felt so good.

Thanks for the response. Today I had a backroom day where I learned how to backstock and read the pda (to some extent). I felt really bad about having to tell the customers I couldn't help them because I'm new (and i wasn't issued a walkie) unless i saw another worker. However, at the very end I new exactly where a something was that a customer wanted and I felt so good.

If you are concerned about where items are located, I would walk around your store and become familiar with the layout, like if you go shopping before/after your shift. Pay attention to the location of items as you stock and move through the wave, you'll pick it up shortly! Of course, don't be afraid to look at your store map (usually on spill stations) or overhead signing to aid you in your search for guest requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back