Archived No/very low hours how do you survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile merchandising works as a great 2nd job if you can find one that allows you to create your own schedule.

People at my store file for partial unemployment. I would say 25% - 30% of veteran tms are on it or going through the process.

I’d also look into SNAP benefits.
How terrible for them. If employee stories like this made it to the local news channels or newspapers in high enough volumes it would hopefully cause enough attention for Target corporate to have to publicly respond and come up with a reasonable solution to fix this ongoing widespread issue to save their public (customer) image. When it comes to big businesses the unfortunate truth is that the higher ups need to be backed into a corner with bad press to do the right thing for those other than themselves 99.9% of the time.

Last edited:
How terrible for them. If employee stories like this made it to the local new channels or newspapers in high enough volumes it would hopefully cause enough attention for Target corporate to have to respond and fix what's going on to save their public image. When it comes to big businesses the unfortunate truth is that the higher ups need to be backed into a corner with bad press to do the right thing for those other than themselves 99.9% of the time.

The $15 an hour was everywhere. Local news. National news. But this, this is all very hush hush.

Two things: I have another job and I have a very strict budget. My other job is something that I can work around my Target shifts (and everyone at both jobs knows I have more than one job, so no one is surprised when I say I have a schedule conflict with the other job). As to budget - I have a streaming subscription but no cable, cook at home instead of takeout or eating out, no vacations, old car whose life I extend by taking the bus or biking when possible. It's not great, but my life still has less stress than when I had a salaried, high-pressure job that paid pretty well and had great benefits; the stress was just too high a cost.

The problem with that is that there is a limited supply of folks that will offer open availability in exchange for only part time hours. Particularly when those hours don't offer a set schedule.
Exactly, unless you work the overnight shift which the average person isn't going to do, it would be impossible to have a second job when you have to comply to targets demand for open availability.

Spot wants part timers, no full timers.
The problem with that is that there is a limited supply of folks that will offer open availability in exchange for only part time hours. Particularly when those hours don't offer a set schedule.
Also hard to demand dedication to your job if you're only a part-timer.
If the company expects me to invest my energy into my job, they'd best invest some hours in ME.

People at my store file for partial unemployment. I would say 25% - 30% of veteran tms are on it or going through the process.

I’d also look into SNAP benefits.
I was on SNAP and Medicaid and got cut off saying I make too much. I'm like my pay changes week to week. So I'm going to reduce my hours and get them increased once I get it again
I need my health insurance to keep my sanity.

Yes. I have several older friends who might enjoy a couple of days work a week, but the scheduling and holiday work stops them from applying. I am always surprised, too, by how pushy the supervisors are and nitpicky, given they are talking to parttime help.

Spot does better with seasonal help.

What do you mean by inbound TM? I'm in open market

I was on SNAP and Medicaid and got cut off saying I make too much. I'm like my pay changes week to week. So I'm going to reduce my hours and get them increased once I get it again
I need my health insurance to keep my sanity.
I have that problem every year when they do the annual reviews for Medicaid. They tell you to bring in your two most recent paystubs, but because my review is always in January and they won't let me move it, I make too much money on those recent checks cause of Christmas hours. So I can't use those stubs because they don't reflect what I make the rest of the year. Then they make me submit all my income because there are "discrepancies" due to my pay fluctuation or those times when you get paid three times in a month. Every year I have to explain the situation to them all over again.

Also hard to demand dedication to your job if you're only a part-timer.
If the company expects me to invest my energy into my job, they'd best invest some hours in ME.
I couldn't agree more when my hours are cut like they are they can expect bare minimum from me 🤷

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back