Archived No wondering if we don't get raises..

Status
Not open for further replies.
CEOs are paid on the basis of what the board of directors believe they will bring to the company. They are no more a gamble than Robert Downey Jr. CEOs get a salary plus bonus based on sales. Robert Downey Jr gets a salary plus bonus based on what the movie brings in. No difference at all. And athletes are a greater gamble. Many of those guys have guaranteed contracts so if they get hurt or just stink, they still get that paycheck for years to come.

I'll have to take your word on sports figures, don't follow it much but I do have to say that considering the injuries they receive it seems reasonable that they get paid well.

Here's the problem with the board of directors and hiring CEOs.
It goes back to companies being amoral creatures and the priorities of the board.
You would think that the boards priority would be to make sure they hired someone who would make sure the company did well.
But that is actually only part of the picture.

They want someone who will generate profits for them and the shareholders.
Profits have no morals, so that could mean doing horrible things and it wouldn't matter as long as the profits kept rolling in.
Now people who will do things like that are kinda in short supply.
They bounce from company to company.
That CEO who took the bonus when the BB Bookstore failed, he had a job a few months later.
Boards love those kinds of guys (mostly guys, a few woman) and will fight for them.
Now people like that aren't afraid to jack up what they are worth to obscene levels, after all that's what they do best.

Am I over generalizing?
Maybe a tiny bit but not by much.
There are plenty of books and articles on the subject if you want to make yourself nauseous.
This a problem that needs to be fixed.
Unfortunately. I don't have any simple solutions.

So, you're telling me that the man that caused this mess walked out with more than the people who got caught up in it? Yep, sounds about right for Target.

So, you're telling me that the man that caused this mess walked out with more than the people who got caught up in it? Yep, sounds about right for Target.

Yup he was paid more to fail then all those people who worked hard and didn't mess up will be.

I disagree strongly with this. Of course a CEO could be a TM. Anyone can be a TM. NOT anyone can be a CEO. The responsibility on any CEO's shoulders is insane. While the money is astonishing, no CEO is sitting at a desk "sorting papers". Plus I'm confident that, like most high level directors, the man worked 24 hours a day - not clock in at 7am, clock out at 3:30 and go about your business.

The responsibility of what? Yeah, the biggest decisions were on his shoulders, I guess, but he made horrible, long lasting, terrible decisions. An amoeba could have made better decisions. Unfortunately, he probably surrounded himself with yes people. "Yes sir, your idea to open 133 stores at once ... the best idea ever. A raise?! Of course sir, I do deserve a raise for agreeing with you."

He had the responsibility to make sound business decisions. Not waste billions! And then get a huge payout to reward his incompetence.

I hope he reads this. I hope he realizes what a greedy, immoral person I think he is.

Did you ever hear Gregg-boy speak to the media? This guy is not articulate at all for being a ceo. I remember cnbc 's squawk box interviewed him before he resigned and after the data breach. He was horrible. I was embarrassed for every Target team member that this idiot was leading our company. Good riddance, Gregg!

While I haven't hear Cornell speak, I like what he is doing so far. I hope he can right this ship and bring a sense of pride back to this company.

I enjoy working at Target, and everyone at the store works very , very hard. It is a great team... but
I do not think employees are fairly compensated for the work they do. It is not even close, in my opinion. This is a very profitable company, but the wages showthat the corporation is short sighted and disrespectful of their employees.
What do you all think?

We no longer have the power to decide, the rich owns our government. Take "crap from China" even if I wanted to pay more for stuff made in America it is nearly impossible to find anything not made is a overseas sweatshop.

While I do admit that it would help if more people got out and voted, it is not feasible for people to not buy things from rich people. Even what looks to be a small company is normally owned by a bigger company.

Unfortunately, it doesn't even matter whether you vote or WHO you vote for anymore. No matter who manages to get elected - once they get in they either play the game & keep their jobs OR they try to make changes & don't survive in politics.

The lobbyists own our politicians. The media is too busy pandering to their audience for ratings & promoting their own 'celebrity' pundits to spend any time reporting the truth or anything of real value.

While the country & the world spin out of control - America's focus is continually shifted to worrying about the latest "melodrama' that the media creates. Instead of holding politicians accountable to the people, the media have become disgraceful cheerleaders or antagonists from the sidelines.

I enjoy working at Target, and everyone at the store works very , very hard. It is a great team... but
I do not think employees are fairly compensated for the work they do. It is not even close, in my opinion. This is a very profitable company, but the wages showthat the corporation is short sighted and disrespectful of their employees.
What do you all think?

I think greed has become the new American dream.

We have a middle class with so much patience for being abused that we see America slipping away little by little. I just hope things change BEFORE it's too late.

Unfortunately, it doesn't even matter whether you vote or WHO you vote for anymore. No matter who manages to get elected - once they get in they either play the game & keep their jobs OR they try to make changes & don't survive in politics.

That thinking is why we have a 30% voter rate and why nothing will ever change.

That thinking is why we have a 30% voter rate and why nothing will ever change.

Well, I vote but no matter WHICH party gets elected, all I ever see is the media & the public yapping at each side over how the other side is the reason the country is going to hell in a handbasket.

Politics has become a spectator sport in this country & way too many on either side ONLY care about being cheerleaders for their (team) party & lashing out at the other side in the most asinine & ridiculous ways.

Nothing changes because politicians are allowed to get away with bloody murder as long as our media's prime focus is in winning ratings & pandering to the ones who will help them achieve that goal. It gets back to greed.

What are raises? Didn't Spot stop giving those out 7 years ago no matter how good of an employee you are....

Many of you are shareholders in Spot, no? Get someone this board to represent us at the company meeting to bring an issue to a vote to end this bullshit of getting paid for being fired for doing a horrible job.

They are only paid that because each company loads their corporate boards with people on corporate boards they are a a part of as well. Huge conflict of interest. SEC needs to look into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back