I'm Lost! Not a TL but...

Hello!
I am a guest advocate and have been here for just over a year. I was mainly at guest service but my TL has started having me be a checkout advocate on the checklanes. I close 99% of the time I work and my TL will have me watch the front after they leave. I have to make sure the team is taking breaks and doing their tasks. I’m there to answer questions and train a little bit. I make guest service is all set at the end of the night.

I enjoy doing all of this stuff and making sure the front is running smooth. My problem is that I’m not a TL and I feel like it’a a challenge when one of my team members doesn’t get something done or if they are fooling around with their friends instead of working and I have to say something. How do I be a leader even though I’m not the TL? I don’t want to be that team member who thinks she can tell people what to do but, on the other hand, that’s what the TL wants me to do when they are away or out. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Tracey

I would say that if things don't get done, then they don't get done. Just do your best but don't go crazy about it. At my store we have someone designated as the SETL for their shift of part of their shift on the schedule when neither of the 2 actual SETL's are present (usually the first 3-4 hours or the last 2.5-4 hours). I am one but only 2 or 3 times a month (thank goodness because it is a thankless job).

^^ this is me. Designated SETL but not actually one....for every single shift. My feeling is this: I am in charge and have been told I am in charge. I will say something if a situation warrants it but usually I let the actual SETLs know what I've been observing and let them handle it on their end.

No, I know that. I was wondering if other people had advice on how to handle situations where other tms weren’t doing what they were asked or were not doing anything because the TL wasn’t there.

My advice would be if advocates are not doing their job and it’s drawing attention, if an immediate step in is warranted go straight to the closing team lead. My expectations are everyone is equal and does their part. Don’t want to, time to go! And kudos to you for stepping up and trying to help your leaders and team

Last edited:
I am in the same situation. I feel like I am the team leader when my team leaders leave but I’m not getting the team lead pay. I don’t think it’s fate.

Back