Archived Not allowed to pick up shifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by the ETL- GE/Sales floor that I can no longer pick up cashier shifts on the swap shift board to pad my hours because I have trouble getting red cards and my average speed score is in the high eighties. He said I'm a poor performer as a cashier and he doesn't want it affecting the store's scores. I'm always nice with guests, tell them about the red card, and I always try my best to be as fast as possible when I go up for back up or pick up shifts. I feel as though this ETL has taken a personal disliking to me. He frequently gets angry when I need help with something and is rude to me in front of guests. How am I supposed to pick up hours when that's all that on the board? Can he do this and should I tell the STL?

Last edited:
Yeah he can do this (aside from being rude to you). They can't ever fire you for poor redcard/speed, but they can restrict your hours. Ask for tips on improving and you'll be able to get more hours. I have a feeling you're not going about redcards the right away, and there's always ways to improve speed at the register.

Last edited:
Keep your chin up, I'm sure you can and will improve. There should be some threads floating around here that are filled with helpful advice.

Although I'm pretty sure they can fire you for poor performance.

Keep your chin up, I'm sure you can and will improve. There should be some threads floating around here that are filled with helpful advice.

Although I'm pretty sure they can fire you for poor performance.
If you ask every single guest about redcards they can't prove you weren't performing. But it had to be every guest, every time.

Our store had always been green for cashier speed until we got alcohol. We've been yellow ever since. Hovering around 88.

If you ask every single guest about redcards they can't prove you weren't performing. But it had to be every guest, every time.

Our store had always been green for cashier speed until we got alcohol. We've been yellow ever since. Hovering around 88.
My store is the exact same. We sell alcohol and we're yellow in the high eighties. Most of the cashiers are minors/don't have an alcohol licence. it takes the GSTLs around 15 minutes to respond to a blinker

Cashiering isn't my primary work center I would pick up a bunch of cashier shifts to make up for low hours in my main work center.

Asking this ETL on how to improve is a good way to call his bluff. If he has a problem with how you're working, if he doesn't help you improve, it would be terribly irresponsible of him. It means he can't use your work flaws as an excuse to validate hi simply not liking you. Then, once you improve, he can't restrict your hours anymore. Even if he still just disliked you as a person, he wouldn't have any other excuse.

My store is the exact same. We sell alcohol and we're yellow in the high eighties. Most of the cashiers are minors/don't have an alcohol licence. it takes the GSTLs around 15 minutes to respond to a blinker
Most of ours aren't minors, i think they forget the id til is too late. Most of them are slower than molasses too.

I don't have much advice on this one. You know what you gotta do. Better yourself, prove him wrong. Cheesy I know but seriously, go home and practice your sales techniques, look up information about how to approach, don't ponder on him being upset with you or having it out for you, that doesn't matter, that's his own issue. Develop techniques at the register to be better, faster, more efficient, try to think of ways you can improve and just do it. Leave him out of it, it's your own battle! :p

I don't have much advice on this one. You know what you gotta do. Better yourself, prove him wrong. Cheesy I know but seriously, go home and practice your sales techniques, look up information about how to approach, don't ponder on him being upset with you or having it out for you, that doesn't matter, that's his own issue. Develop techniques at the register to be better, faster, more efficient, try to think of ways you can improve and just do it. Leave him out of it, it's your own battle! :p
I'll try to make that my mission to prove him wrong and be the best I can be!

Then add the registers slowing down with the last update and everyone is screwed.
If I can stay green after a couple guests taking forever so can the rest of them...sadly it's cash that takes the longest to process after the last update.

I'll try to make that my mission to prove him wrong and be the best I can be!

That's a great attitude! I think you'll succeed.

But..... if you still find it hard to get the hang of speeding up, maybe you can consider asking to be trained for a different work center? You might find you shine at another type of chore?

When I was a GSA I've had TMs do exactly what you're doing (which is pick up a shift) and not do as good as the regular cashiers. when flow or pricing or Plano didn't get the hours they're used to they'll pick up cashier shifts. Not saying you do it BUT what they do is less than the bare minimum that the regular cashiers do. They won't ask guests for redcards, their speeds are horrible, and they won't help fill the the outs on any of the check lanes when there's down time. Speaking in general, if someone's gonna pick up a cashier shift I feel they should try to do as good or even better than the cashiers because when you look at it, if they picked up a Hardlines shift I'm sure they wouldn't just sit around and not zone or put up strays.

When I was a GSA I've had TMs do exactly what you're doing (which is pick up a shift) and not do as good as the regular cashiers. when flow or pricing or Plano didn't get the hours they're used to they'll pick up cashier shifts. Not saying you do it BUT what they do is less than the bare minimum that the regular cashiers do. They won't ask guests for redcards, their speeds are horrible, and they won't help fill the the outs on any of the check lanes when there's down time. Speaking in general, if someone's gonna pick up a cashier shift I feel they should try to do as good or even better than the cashiers because when you look at it, if they picked up a Hardlines shift I'm sure they wouldn't just sit around and not zone or put up strays.

Yep...and we were still held to the same standards as a front end even though they weren't held to our standards as individuals. Never figured out how that was fair.

As the In-Stocks TM who takes care of check lanes when I see a cashier or GSA-GSTL fill a check lane, that will be the day I drop dead of shock.. Cause it does not happen..

As the In-Stocks TM who takes care of check lanes when I see a cashier or GSA-GSTL fill a check lane, that will be the day I drop dead of shock.. Cause it does not happen..

My store, check lanes were filled/flexed by cashiers as well as candy. Loved stocking candy at lane 20 when I was assigned to lane 4!

I loved pushing candy when I was a cashier. It gave me a break from cashing and I could actually move around. The only thing better was "going shopping" for endcap product on the sales floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back