Archived Not Allowed to Text Other TMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my store we're practically banned from ever texting another TM about anything. We can't talk about work, can't talk about things outside of work. We literally are told to not have any interaction with each other. So now I'm curious, is that a rule at your store too?
My question is, why are you on here then talking about work...lol

They can't tell you that you can't interact with TMs outside of work. Now they can tell you not to discuss store operations or duties off the clock. Your TL can't text you to tell you don't forget to fill the endcaps before your schedule shift.

Then TLs and Execs shouldn't be putting themselves in conflicting situations off the clock with TMs. I had a GSTL get in trouble for buying a couple TMs drinks at a bar (not even in Target uniform) But it was photographed and Facebook with them dancing and drinking.

Last edited:
WOW. If that were the case, everyone at my store would be fired. Most of the TM's are super tight knit and hang out all the time. I text/have coworkers on Instagram and talk to them outside of work on the regular. That's a crazy rule.

Last edited:
My question is, why are you on here then talking about work then...lol.

Because even though it's a rule, I do it anyway haha I still text and hang out and give out rides to TM's to and from work. I'm just curious if this is a rule that's everywhere.

To me the rule is really ridiculous and stupid because they can't tell me who I can or can't text and about what. I can understand them not wanting us to text on the clock, but off the clock I can do whatever the heck I want. My TL often texts me to see if I want extra shifts or if I can come in after a call out. What's really stupid and unfair is that the TM's get told we can't text, but everyone else can? Like the TL and STL. And everyone literally hangs out outside of work. And we're all friends on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. So you can see, no one really listens to the rule, but every time they "remind" us of the rule the anger surges within me.

At my store we don't really keep any team members numbers in our cells unless we want to call them in for a shift. The reason is because it's faster to text them than wait for hr to call them, leave a message and then call back.

Other than that none of the leadership team posts things on social media about work because we're worried about "the bullseye in the sky". We don't care about what tms post unless someone brings it to hr to complain. And all the tms hang out and drink and post things on Facebook but we just don't care. Until they start getting really bad at their job it why should it matter?

At my old store I know that you would get coached (not written up because they can't really do that) if you tweeted something like " I don't want to work today :( #cramps". I really wanted to run my ETl over when she came up to me for that. I also wanted to run over the dumb girl who told her about it because I was 3 minutes late.

Honestly it just depends on your leadership. Some people drink so much kool aid and believe that once you work for target you're entire life is run by target. They want to control you're life. Once that started happening I transferred really quick.

I wonder what they do if it's family members? We had some Parents and their kids working when I was there (a few of them are still there) and even siblings. They can't stop them from calling or texting, etc. each other.

As a GSA, my ETL-GE and I text quite often about schedules, best practice, and even some personal stuff. She's a year younger than me (FML) but it isn't really working off the clock. We're not FB friends or anything, but the TL's at my store are friends with all the TM's; just no ETL's. Two ETL's did leave a few months back, and promptly added everyone on FB. I am friends with my ETL-GE and two other ETL's on Instagram, but that's a little less invasive.

They really should worry about what guest hear TM talking about on the clock ,off Is my life not theirs..... 1st amendment ..

At my store we're practically banned from ever texting another TM about anything. We can't talk about work, can't talk about things outside of work. We literally are told to not have any interaction with each other. So now I'm curious, is that a rule at your store too?

I don't think they can do this... If you're talking about work / swapping shifts it could be viewed as working off the clock I guess, but it sure seems like a draconian approach.

Most of my store is friends on Facebook with each other. I'm not with most, but that's just personal choice. Technically I don't think salary and non salary are supposed to socialize outside of work. But when I worked overnight there were times when most of the team (ETLs included) gathered after work, either food or the bar.

You are f ricking funny as hell!!!!!

Why is this hard to believe? I'm friends with several of my co-workers. Our other GSA, two TLs (different workcenters), & like five other TMs. A few weeks ago a bunch of us went out to dinner and had a great time. Having those kinds of positive relationships with the people you work with makes work a lot easier to deal with.

I have several tms on Facebook and Instagram. We talk often about work as well as outside life. We go to the movies, museums, concerts, etc.

I've never had anyone at work text me, and if someone I didn't have on Facebook/Instagram did without my permission first I would read them a riot act they wouldn't soon forget. I've told several of my market peeps to message me on Facebook or text if they need, and I dare spot to day anything. If they didn't hire incompetent etls I'd have no need for my kids to text questions like how to use a meat scale or how to date bakery...

...only once have I heard crap for posting on Facebook. It was a discussion about tls attitudes about letting people in before open, names were mentioned by someone else, and somebody got butt hurt and/or decided to brown nose and report it. Etl-hr was expecting an apology and promise to not do it again. I reminded her I grew up alongside the internets and I never post something I wouldn't say to their face, but since she mentioned the unprofessional attitudes first....lol.

My TL who got fired for texting was told she was setting an example, a "culture", for other team members and texting/working off the clock is unacceptable.

I still don't believe texting is working, but I cover my own ass by not giving out my number. None of the favorites get punished for it, but I'm not risking anything.

... How the fuck can you work off the clock when you're not even at your job?

Over my time many TLs have taken reviews home and done them. That is just one way.

Working off the clock is bullshit to begin with. It's only a rule because they'd get in trouble if they made you work off the clock. If you choose to do something related to your job off the clock, that's not illegal. But they can't prove they didn't make you do it, so they make up all these ridiculous definitions of what things count as working off the clock.

I don't text anyone from work, but my store has whole families and couples and such that work there. They couldn't enforce a no texting rule at my store if they tried. It's just not feasible.

You are f ricking funny as hell!!!!!

Why is this hard to believe? I'm friends with several of my co-workers. Our other GSA, two TLs (different workcenters), & like five other TMs. A few weeks ago a bunch of us went out to dinner and had a great time. Having those kinds of positive relationships with the people you work with makes work a lot easier to deal with.

It's the sarcastic delivery that makes me funny as H-E-double hocky sticks.

Over my time many TLs have taken reviews home and done them. That is just one way.

My time self-service? But if you can access it from home, of course you're going to do it from home. That's considered working off the clock?

My Team Lead got fired for this very thing. She cared a bit too much about this shitty job and wanted to check in on work's progress while she was away on vacation. To shame her for caring so much they gave her the boot, despite the fact that other team leads do it all of the time. If Target doesn't like you, they will find a way to get rid of you, this is one of them.

It's really appalling that Target would sink to such lows.

I assume the 'no working off the clock' rule was adopted to protect employees from being forced to work when they aren't being paid.

It's a real sign of desperation & cluelessness when the company would actually punish employees who actually CARE about their jobs enough to think about it even when you are not being paid.

At my store, people discuss work when they are on break - they discuss how much has been done & what is to be done AFTER the break is over. At my store, we have pride in our jobs & aren't just a bunch of robots who punch in for a paycheck. Hopefully, that won't change & we'll still be a decent place to work. And we are even encouraged to contact other team members if we can via cell phones if we want to trade shifts. Why not?

Sadly, if they get it into their heads to get rid of somebody - corporate gives them all the tools they need to skirt laws & to play dirty. And people wonder why employees don't have any respect for the place they work?

If this is the case where do the "team building" events come in?

At this point I am guessing not everyone and every store is doing this, but for as long as I have worked for Target it is encouraged that leaders have out-of-work events with teams as a morale boosting exercise. This includes community service events, of course, but other events as well. For example, the ETL or Team Lead in logistics could take the in-stocks team out for a celebratory meal if in-stocks had the highest rank in the district or group. Stipulations exist that all applicable team members must be invited, that it is all-inclusive, but this has always been a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back